Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 31st Dec 18, 4:30 PM
    • 1,011Posts
    • 7,752Thanks
    PipneyJane
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge
    • 31st Dec 18, 4:30 PM
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 31st Dec 18 at 4:30 PM
    Welcome to the 2019 Fashion On The Ration Challenge. The 2018 thread was very successful and can be found here. Based on the original 1941 Clothing Rations, several of us are continuing our "Fashion on the Ration" challenge into 2019.

Even after last year’s challenge, I still have an overflowing wardrobe. Half of my coupons went on yarn, so rather than decreasing my yarn stash it grew considerably. My aim is to shop more thoughtfully. Any money saved will be a bonus. Would you like to join me?

The original ration was 66 coupons. Items of clothing had the following coupon cost:

To break it down into Women's clothing only:-

Lined mackintosh or coat over 28" - 14 coupons
    Under 28" short coat or jacket - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of wool - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of other fabric - 7 coupons
    Bodice with girls skirt or gym tunic - 8 coupons
    Pyjamas - 8 coupons
    Divided skirt or skirt – 7 coupons
    Nightdress - 6 coupons
    Dungarees or overalls - 6 coupons
    Blouse, shirt, sports top, cardigan or jumper -5 coupons
    Pair of slippers, boots or shoes – 5 coupons
    Other garments including corsets - 3 coupons
    Petticoat or slip, cami-knickers or combinations - 4 coupons
    Apron or pinafore - 3 coupons
    Scarf, gloves, mittens or muff - 2 coupons
    Stockings per pair - 2 coupons
    Ankle socks per pair – 1 coupon
    1 yard wool cloth 36"wide – 3 coupons
    2 ounces of wool knitting yarn – 1 coupon

Assumptions for the challenge:-
    • 1 metre of fabric equals 1 yard. No penalty for width.
    • 2 ounces of wool knitting yarn equals 50g of any knitting yarn containing natural fibres. Note: according to a display I once saw atthe Imperial War Museum, there was a different coupon cost for man-made fibre, but I've never found out what so let's assume acrylic is half the coupon cost of wool.
    • Based on the quantity of fabric and work involved, a "corset" is the equivalent of two bras.
    • Ditto one pair of Cami-knickers would equal two pairs of modern bikini-style knickers or thongs.
    • Bodice with skirt = shirt/blouse/t-shirt purchased at the same time as a matching or co-ordinating skirt or trousers = 8 coupons in total.
    • Dungarees = jeans = 6 coupons.
    • Ditto trousers
    • Leggings count as 2 coupons, the same as thermal tights.
    • Second-hand clothing is exempt.
    • Leather handbags aren't mentioned anywhere in the clothing coupon data. The assumption is that they weren't made once the war was in full swing. Ditto leather wallets and purses. I assume a leather handbag involves the same effort and leather as a pair of shoes at 5 coupons. A new wallet/purse can be 2 coupons.
    • Hats aren’t mentioned either, so if you purchase one, let’s assume it is for 2 coupons.

I’ve already purchased a new suit for 2019, so will start the year deducting that from my total coupons: a double breasted jacket (11 coupons), skirt (7 coupons) and trousers (6 coupons). That’s 24 coupons already spent, leaving me with 42 for the rest of the year.

- Pip

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 14-02-2019 at 12:15 PM.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
Page 2
    • RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 1st Jan 19, 11:08 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 5,399 Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    Happy New Year everyone! Thank you for setting up the new tread Pip, and welcome to all the newbies!

I did spend some coupons on the last day of the year... FInally decided to bit the bullet and buy undies... I hate buying underwear with a passion so opted for multipack... But made sure they were black and without frills to unravel, so should a) last longer and b) look nice longer. Coupons came from my Mum who bought two pairs of shoes in 2018... And since most of her knitting yarn could be explained with socks-for-soldiers as she knits for charity she would likely have had coupons left she could give to me.

re bobbles on clothes; there are also sort of combes to get them out. And somewhere I read you could use a shaver but would not try that...

I hope to get through the frist few months with all my coupons intact... Just have to keep out of the yarn shops....
    Resolution for 2019 "Live better on less" - Less stuff, less waste, less silly spends but more make do and mend and more fun
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 2nd Jan 19, 1:26 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    I may be sightly bonkers but...

I'm considering making a list of some of my clothes, so I can realise how many of what I have... and maybe grade them somehow on how much I wear them - I have tops or jumpers or cardis I wear all the time at certain times of year and others I barely touch year-round. I think it might be useful to really work out what is what.

Maybe I'll start by clearing some space in the sitting-room and then actually emptying a shelf of clothing in the bedroom, listing the things I can confidently say I wear a fair bit, things that earn their keep, so to speak, and take other things through to the sitting-room where they can look at me pitifully and try to make their case for being kept!

I have vest-tops I have not worn since moving here in 2014, partly because they are too small and partly because I feel sentimental about not wearing them out because I bought them when I worked abroad in 2006 and they remind me of such happy times. Er, NOT sensible ways to treat clothing! I have other clothes from that time which I do wear or could wear, so maybe I can either wear the vest-tops or junk them to the textile-rags recycling-bin, or if I really can't stand to chuck them out I can cut two big square out of each and hem them with pretty bias-binding and have pretty dusters, for pity's sake.

but what i really shouldn't keep doing this year is keeping them untouched, faded and ageing...!

As well as weeding out the "keeping for the wrong reasons" I can work out what gets really really well-worn. I already know my grey cotton-jersey poloneck from Primark is so often-worn that if I ever see them again I would buy 5 immediately... the dark grey goes with everything, the high neck is cosy in cold weather, the cotton is light enough for days that are chilly on its own or layered for colder, easy to wash and dry...
    So I think i should work out what other individual items are as hard-working as my grey cotton poloneck!

then I can really target my coupons to work hard for me...
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 2nd Jan 19, 6:04 PM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 25,486 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Not bonkers at all, I am thinking of something similar. Most of us wear 20% of our clothes 80% of the time, and vice versa, and one of the benefits of this challenge has been in making me think whether I really wanted to "spend" coupons on an item.

I want to make more of my own clothes this year, and I think it would be good to start by looking at the wardrobe and working out what I wear most, and why (colour/cut/fabric/length etc). Then I can see what gaps really need to be filled. Doing the 'Kon Mari' method really helped to declutter the wardrobe, I got rid of all those items that I used to pull out and then put back, it turns out that I had quite a few clothes I didn't really like wearing! If i'm honest, some of the stuff I made myself earlier on is probably not going to stay this year, because my skills weren't that great. I know now that if I'm going to invest time and energy and making something, I want it to be right.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • *Jellie*
    • By *Jellie* 2nd Jan 19, 7:44 PM
    • 2,934 Posts
    • 13,647 Thanks
    *Jellie*
    It is worth doing the hanger turning trick. Turn all hangers in wardrobe the other way round. When you replace item back in closet you turn hanger the right way. After a set amount of time you can assess as all the items on hangers the wrong way round have not been worn in that time.
    2019 fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 2nd Jan 19, 8:41 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    That's a really good idea if more of my clothes were on hangers - I shall do it with the ones that are, definitely...

I have a LOT of big skirts, and I wear only a few of them. I have discovered through doing the 2018 challenge that my biggest impulse-buy is tops of all kinds, and I think part of that is having skirts that don't really go with anything, so I keep vaguely buying new tops in case that makes the skirt magically work...!

I need to sort out the whole lot, really - but NOT all at one go or I'd implode.
    • ahw23
    • By ahw23 2nd Jan 19, 10:28 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    ahw23
    Please may we join in? I've already committed to buying nothing new this year, but have a lot of fabric and yarn saved so would like to use rations to "shop my stash", as if it were new, if you see what I mean. Following this rationale, my first expenditure of the year was on some wool for a new beret, cast on today, 4 coupons (although I'm fairly certain there will be plenty left over, even in the largest size and with DK wool colourwork, which would have been wastefully chunky by wartime standards). Other projects I'd like if possible include some overdue nightwear, two new dresses and some blouses or tops for work, hopefully some of which will be cut down from OH's old shirts (very wartime and coupon-free). I'd also like to see if I can monitor (if not cap) how many coupons the rest of the family would need, as I tend to end up buying for them, and if I can't spend on myself, I might get very drawn to nice things for the 5yo, which aren't really needed as he's in school uniform most of the time, with plenty of growing room. Rationing myself might help me divert some of the stash towards making things for them, help me think creatively about reworking things already in the wardrobe and build consciousness of where our resources are already going. I'm also hoping I can drop in here for a bit of moral support when I'm feeling the siren call of shopping!
    • BabyStepper
    • By BabyStepper 3rd Jan 19, 7:11 AM
    • 264 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    BabyStepper
    Does anyone know where the best place to buy new undies is? I got some M&S socks last year and they were terrible, saggy and falling off my feet. I need new bras and pants and want to make sure I get good quality buy no idea where that would be. NOT Primark! (this is where I usually go)
    Last edited by BabyStepper; 03-01-2019 at 7:16 AM.
    May '18 £21,228.07/March '19 £15,781.40

25.6% paid

Getting it done

• aliwali
    • By aliwali 3rd Jan 19, 1:30 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 1,810 Thanks
    aliwali
    Love this idea, always been fascinated by rationing. Clothing feels more feasible than food, so going to give it a try. Look forward to seeing how everyone gets on.
    Fashion on a ration 0 of 66
    • RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 3rd Jan 19, 5:34 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 5,399 Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    Laura, the idea is far from crazy! Maybe it would also help to wear each rarely-worn garnment a set number of times. Say three times. Either you fall in love with it again or you might find out why you don't like it and can then donate it and know what to look for in further garnments. Sometimes the reason why we don't wear certain things are strange. I have a lovely black dress with a red fern print. I love the look of it but my cats lose a lot of hair and the only cardigan to match the dress is also black and I just can't be bothered to get cat hair off a dress and a cardigan most days.

Babystepper, all my bras are from M+S, also bought from Debenhms in the past. They last quite well and the only issues I had so far was some tearing to the lace around the strap that could easily by fixed with a few stitches. Bought bras from others stores in the past and after a while the wire always came out... Never happened to these though.

aliwali, strangely food isn't as scary once you get into it and rearrange your mealplan a bit. I could probably not do it in summer as I use too much feta cheese and that like, but for winter it works surprisingly well, as long you love soups and stews and are ok with basic sweets (I do cheat though and allowed myself some 21. century treats when baking for visitors or when I brought cake somewhere...)
    Resolution for 2019 "Live better on less" - Less stuff, less waste, less silly spends but more make do and mend and more fun
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 3rd Jan 19, 8:03 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Ricarda, at the moment nearly all my clothing is too tight - but I trotted off today with the Ramblers Assoc, and did 4-5 miles up hill and down dale, cross-muddy-country, so that will help... everyone else was in Goretex and Ronhills, but I had many admiring comments about my trusty old comfy skirt! So no coupons going on hiking-kit - I can just wear my normal clothing because it's all pretty practical!

I just have vast amounts of clothing, and this challenge is making me realise how much...
    • vintagegal
    • By vintagegal 3rd Jan 19, 10:49 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 725 Thanks
    vintagegal
    Hi

I would love to join you for 2019 if youíll have me. Iím a shopaholic who wants to stop, for financial and ethical reasons.
    I have started learning how to knit but am still on scarves - knitting has been keeping me off my phone in the evenings and will hopefully help to stop me seeing things I then want to buy!
    I read through your whole 2018 thread tonight and am inspired by what I have seen. Iím hoping to be able to be more discerning and imaginative by having some boundaries.
    Iím not tempted by shops like primark as Iím concerned about their ethics, but I do have a weakness for the January sales! I am an online shopper which I need to try and stop. Iím keen to discover charity shopping too.

Vintagegal
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 4th Jan 19, 11:55 AM
    • 302 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Welcome vintagegal - everyone's welcome in here (we're not fussy, oops, I mean we're very inclusive!) - and if you can knit something as demanding as a scarf you can knit anything... I've never knitted myself a scarf because I can't take the mind-numbing tedium. They take soooo long, doing the same thing, argh... so if you can stick that, you're well on the way to knitting anything you like!

If you are tempted by online shopping, what about combining that with trying charity-shop shopping and browse the Oxfam online shop?

No coupons for buying second-hand clothes or shoes! Whooo!
    https://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/second-hand-clothes
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 4th Jan 19, 5:32 PM
    • 8,558 Posts
    • 13,763 Thanks
    jackieblack
    I have a question...
    Yesterday I bought some jute shopping bags... not sure how/if to count them?

Also, what about items bought as gifts?

Actually, thatís two questions!

Thanks
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

MFW #4
    (2018 - £866.89 OPd)
    Jan - £105.26, Feb - £103.31 Mar - £50

• RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 4th Jan 19, 6:02 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 5,399 Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    Yesterday I bought some jute shopping bags... not sure how/if to count them?

Also, what about items bought as gifts?

Actually, thatís two questions!

Thanks
    Originally posted by jackieblack

I think everyone of us has different rules to this. During the war every item bought would of course have counted, including towels, bedding, curtains... Although I could think of jute being free of coupons as there isn't really much you can make with it...

In my case I don't count gifts nor yarn bought to knit gifts or something for charity. I assume the people I knit for gave me the yarn and charity knitting is socks-for-soldiers...

I also don't count towels as my aim for the challenge is to think about clothes more. I didn't thought I'd buy any household fabrics at all last year, but then ended up doing up my bedroom and buying towels and bedding and kept that out of this challenge.
    • CapricornLass
    • By CapricornLass 4th Jan 19, 6:52 PM
    • 241 Posts
    • 964 Thanks
    CapricornLass
    First purchase of the year - two long-sleeved t-shirts, described as items for layering on the label! I'm going to have to replace an existing one anyway, as it seems to be running to holes now, but I wear a lot of these as base layers now that I;m retired.

So, 10 coupons?
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 4th Jan 19, 7:50 PM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 7,752 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    PipneyJane keep an eye out for the event held in Chatham dockyard each year called ' Salute to the 40's '.

I love following this thread but I know I couldn't keep to the challenge. Cheering you all on though.
    Originally posted by Sayschezza
    Thanks Sayschezza, I will keep an eye out. DH’s best mate* lives down that way, which makes it quite a do-able day out.

I may hav screwed something up completely... You know that list of knitting projects I want to fix/finish/sew up? Well, I completed the first one on New Year’s Day. It was my most recent project, knitted out of hand-dyed Gotland wool. I had multiple problems with the yarn - the dye bled everywhere, even after trying the Citric Acid Soak suggested by the Knitmore Girls. Every time I knitted, my hands turned blue.

Unfortunately, the citric acid treatment may have made the yarn a bit more vulnerable to felting. I normally machine wash my jumpers using the wool cycle and cold water. Never normally have a problem with them. Given the dye issue, I washed the jumper by itself this morning, hoping the rinse cycle would take care of the dye. (The water in the machine dutifully turned blue.)

Please take a look at the photos on the project link. If you zoom in on the unwashed jumper, you’ll see that the yarn is a little hairy. Right now, it looks more like mohair and I’m praying it hasn’t shrunk too much. When I removed the jumper from the machine, it was this fury lump. Stretched it back into shape - and hopefully size - and removed two handfuls of loose fibre from the front and and back. I won’t know until it’s dry whether it will fit me or even vaguely resemble the way I’d planned it to look. (I designed it.). I do know it will be hand-wash only from now on.

I will post a photo of the jumper, once it’s dry.

I have had a similar experience twice before, when I machine washed something that had previously been hand washed in Euclan, a no-rinse wool wash. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that once this happens, the jumper will shrink to toddler size if machine washed again - that was what happened the first jumper. I can only assume that the Euclan is at fault, since I regularly wear and machine wash a jumper knitted in the same yarn as the first one that shrank (which was knitted out of its leftovers).

- Pip. (I am not a happy bunny.)

*aka his “Brother From Another Mother” of BFAM. They’re like non-identical twins separated at birth. I have been delegated big-sister-bossing-rights from BFAM’s sisters.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 4th Jan 19, 8:19 PM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 25,486 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Oh Pip, it looks gorgeous - what a lot of work has gone into that. I really hope it turns out ok, I am a bit of a novice on washing/treating yarn so I can't offer any suggestions. Although I am very lazy and don't usually hand wash anything, if I had put that much effort into knitting something, I don't think I would ever put it in the machine!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 4th Jan 19, 8:32 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Pip, are you even remotely within reach of Telford? Because if you are, I have a Shetland Woollie Horse, which is an amazing wooden frame with every angle adjustable so you can put a washed, still-wet jumper on, and gradually move the pieces another hole along every so often, so after an hour or so it's a heck of a lot bigger than you thought possible...

If nowhere near here, then I suggest you block it, and keep returning to move the pins a little further and a little further...

And it will be no consolation but... I really, really commiserate with you... xx
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 4th Jan 19, 8:36 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Although I am very lazy and don't usually hand wash anything, if I had put that much effort into knitting something, I don't think I would ever put it in the machine!
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    I machine-wash almost all my hand-knitted woollens, but by "machine-wash" what I mean is that our machine has a brilliant "rinse" cycle which is all the woollens need, so I pop them in for 19 minutes of completely-cold water and a 1400rpm spin cycle, then hang them to dry, or block them.

Wool felts when it's shocked - and wool gets shocked by agitation or temperature-change and almost always if it has both.
    If you don't touch it, you can (incredibly!) boil wool without it felting - but if you stir it or let the water bubble, or change the temp abruptly, it will shrink. If you handwash your woollies lovingly in hand-hot warm water and then run the cold tap to rinse them thoroughly, it can shrink.

Some wool will shrink if you look at it wrong, but by and large most are fine in cold water...
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 4th Jan 19, 8:46 PM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 7,752 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    First purchase of the year - two long-sleeved t-shirts, described as items for layering on the label! I'm going to have to replace an existing one anyway, as it seems to be running to holes now, but I wear a lot of these as base layers now that I;m retired.

So, 10 coupons?
    Originally posted by CapricornLass
    Yes, 10 coupons. I hope you get lots of wear out of the new ones.

- Pip

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

29Posts Today

3,068Users online

Martin's Twitter