Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 31st Dec 18, 4:30 PM
    • 881Posts
    • 6,537Thanks
    PipneyJane
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge
    • 31st Dec 18, 4:30 PM
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 31st Dec 18 at 4:30 PM
    Welcome to the 2019 Fashion On The Ration Challenge. The 2018 thread was very successful and can be found here. Based on the original 1941 Clothing Rations, several of us are continuing our "Fashion on the Ration" challenge into 2019.

Even after last year’s challenge, I still have an overflowing wardrobe. Half of my coupons went on yarn, so rather than decreasing my yarn stash it grew considerably. My aim is to shop more thoughtfully. Any money saved will be a bonus. Would you like to join me?

The original ration was 66 coupons. Items of clothing had the following coupon cost:

To break it down into Women's clothing only:-

Lined mackintosh or coat over 28" - 14 coupons
    Under 28" short coat or jacket - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of wool - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of other fabric - 7 coupons
    Bodice with girls skirt or gym tunic - 8 coupons
    Pyjamas - 8 coupons
    Divided skirt or skirt – 7 coupons
    Nightdress - 6 coupons
    Dungarees or overalls - 6 coupons
    Blouse, shirt, sports top, cardigan or jumper -5 coupons
    Pair of slippers, boots or shoes – 5 coupons
    Other garments including corsets - 3 coupons
    Petticoat or slip, cami-knickers or combinations - 4 coupons
    Apron or pinafore - 3 coupons
    Scarf, gloves, mittens or muff - 2 coupons
    Stockings per pair - 2 coupons
    Ankle socks per pair – 1 coupon
    1 yard wool cloth 36"wide – 3 coupons
    2 ounces of wool knitting yarn – 1 coupon

Assumptions for the challenge:-
    • 1 metre of fabric equals 1 yard. No penalty for width.
    • 2 ounces of wool knitting yarn equals 50g of any knitting yarn containing natural fibres. Note: according to a display I once saw atthe Imperial War Museum, there was a different coupon cost for man-made fibre, but I've never found out what so let's assume acrylic is half the coupon cost of wool.
    • Based on the quantity of fabric and work involved, a "corset" is the equivalent of two bras.
    • Ditto one pair of Cami-knickers would equal two pairs of modern bikini-style knickers or thongs.
    • Bodice with skirt = shirt/blouse/t-shirt purchased at the same time as a matching or co-ordinating skirt or trousers = 8 coupons in total.
    • Dungarees = jeans = 6 coupons.
    • Ditto trousers
    • Leggings count as 2 coupons, the same as thermal tights.
    • Second-hand clothing is exempt.
    • Leather handbags aren't mentioned anywhere in the clothing coupon data. The assumption is that they weren't made once the war was in full swing. Ditto leather wallets and purses. I assume a leather handbag involves the same effort and leather as a pair of shoes at 5 coupons. A new wallet/purse can be 2 coupons.
    • Hats aren’t mentioned either, so if you purchase one, let’s assume it is for 2 coupons.

I’ve already purchased a new suit for 2019, so will start the year deducting that from my total coupons: a double breasted jacket (11 coupons), skirt (7 coupons) and trousers (6 coupons). That’s 24 coupons already spent, leaving me with 42 for the rest of the year.

- Pip
    Last edited by PipneyJane; 04-01-2019 at 6:55 PM.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
Page 1
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 31st Dec 18, 5:58 PM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 25,210 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    • 31st Dec 18, 5:58 PM
    • 31st Dec 18, 5:58 PM
    I'm in - managed to stay just within my 66 coupons last year, and hoping to do at least as well this year. Thanks PipneyJane, I found this very inspiring.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 31st Dec 18, 6:06 PM
    • 8,472 Posts
    • 13,536 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 31st Dec 18, 6:06 PM
    • 31st Dec 18, 6:06 PM
    I’m in too please
    I haven’t taken part before, but own far too many clothes and always end up wearing the same few things so definitely don’t need more!

Am hoping not to need to buy anything except tights (for work) - will assume these will be 2 coupons per pair the same as stockings?
    and a new pair of walking shoes/trainers
    Last edited by jackieblack; 31-12-2018 at 6:21 PM.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

MFW #4
    Jan - £34.33 £46.79 £77.72

‘Fashion on the ration’ challenge - 4 coupons spent
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 31st Dec 18, 7:02 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 36,014 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    • 31st Dec 18, 7:02 PM
    • 31st Dec 18, 7:02 PM
    I'm in too, please! I do need to weed out & revamp my wardrobe; I rarely buy new clothes, I'm a proud secondhand diva, but yarn & fabric may just pull me down. My last buy of 2018 was a set of silk thermals, which I counted as "combinations" although silk might be seen as somewhat luxurious! I may need to buy a couple of new bras, having lost a bit of weight lately, but everything else is still serviceable. If boring!

One of the "events" I do with my "vintage" stall is 40s/50s-based and some of my customers actually do their best to live in period 24/7, though obviously they dress "normally" for work etc. I've sold ration books, wartime diaries & patterns to the most delightful people, and I admire their mindset even if I'm more of a 70s type myself! I suspect doing the challenge will give me more of an insight into how they live, too.
    Angie

GC Jan 19 - £283.71/£400
    Bulk-buy purse '19 £250, pet & livestock food '19 £400

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 31st Dec 18, 10:10 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 1,724 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    • 31st Dec 18, 10:10 PM
    • 31st Dec 18, 10:10 PM
    Oh, hurrah, I'm in, I'm in!

In 2018, to my shame, I ended up buying SO much from the black market... it was ghastly. I appeared to have NO sense of common decency or honesty!

In 2019, I hope to concentrate on properly using up fabric and yarn I already have, and maybe re-making or adapting clothes I already have. I'd like to overhaul the good quality clothes I never wear and let them go to a charity shop, clean and pressed and ready for someone else to enjoy. Or go to the textile-rag bin at the tip!

I would like to manage three things in 2019:

- stay within 66 coupons
    - avoid the Black Market spivs!
    - end up in a year's time, with fewer clothes than I have this minute!
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 1st Jan 19, 9:58 AM
    • 8,555 Posts
    • 18,390 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    • 1st Jan 19, 9:58 AM
    • 1st Jan 19, 9:58 AM
    This sounds wonderful!

I 'd love to join in if possible.
    My January plan is to have a wardrobe clearout, and invest in some cotton tops for layering/wearing under my dungarees at 5 coupons a piece (my staple wardrobe is dungarees) i'm also hoping to create a pattern based on an existing pair and see my own. Picked up a large piece of fabric last year for a donation to use as my practice attempt. So will add that to my January plan.

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing

Trying to get by on a single Emergency Services income
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 1st Jan 19, 10:34 AM
    • 881 Posts
    • 6,537 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    • 1st Jan 19, 10:34 AM
    • 1st Jan 19, 10:34 AM
    I'm in too, please! I do need to weed out & revamp my wardrobe; I rarely buy new clothes, I'm a proud secondhand diva, but yarn & fabric may just pull me down. My last buy of 2018 was a set of silk thermals, which I counted as "combinations" although silk might be seen as somewhat luxurious! I may need to buy a couple of new bras, having lost a bit of weight lately, but everything else is still serviceable. If boring!

One of the "events" I do with my "vintage" stall is 40s/50s-based and some of my customers actually do their best to live in period 24/7, though obviously they dress "normally" for work etc. I've sold ration books, wartime diaries & patterns to the most delightful people, and I admire their mindset even if I'm more of a 70s type myself! I suspect doing the challenge will give me more of an insight into how they live, too.
    Originally posted by thriftwizard
    Please tell me all about that event, Thriftwizard, and the items you sell. I would love to be a fly on the wall, to watch what goes on.

I’m in too please
    I haven’t taken part before, but own far too many clothes and always end up wearing the same few things so definitely don’t need more!

Am hoping not to need to buy anything except tights (for work) - will assume these will be 2 coupons per pair the same as stockings?
    and a new pair of walking shoes/trainers
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    Yes, equate tights with “stockings” at 2 coupons a pair. That is rather expensive, so have you tried the “freezer trick” to help them last longer? There’s a theory that freezing nylon changes the bonds between the molecules, making them stronger; it is recommended to place your new stockings in the freezer for the night before wearing them.

This sounds wonderful!

I 'd love to join in if possible.
    My January plan is to have a wardrobe clearout, and invest in some cotton tops for layering/wearing under my dungarees at 5 coupons a piece (my staple wardrobe is dungarees) i'm also hoping to create a pattern based on an existing pair and see my own. Picked up a large piece of fabric last year for a donation to use as my practice attempt. So will add that to my January plan.
    Originally posted by CAFCGirl
    Welcome. Good luck with your plan for making dungarees. Please show us the results.

Don’t forget that January is a good time to go hunting in charity shops for clothes and sporting goods, because so many people have a clearout. You may find your tops there. Donated clothes are coupon free. (Personally, I’m planning to spend a lunchtime or two “on the hunt”.)

Beyond not buying any yarn unless it’s needed to complete a project, all my 2019 clothing plans are knitting related. January is often called “selfish knitting month” because people start on projects for themselves. However, for me, it’ll be “finish up month”. I want to complete the five jumpers that just need sewing up/buttons/collars knitted/ends woven in (one finished yesterday); the cardigan that needs ribbon and press-studs sewn on and potentially needs shoulder pads (I made the armholes too big); and fix the Acer cardigan which I completed, sewed up and wore twice before realising that one front is an entire pattern repeat longer than the other(!). To fix it, I have to frog the collar and one front band, unpick a sleeve and the shoulder seam. These items are on record now; so I hope to be able to show you the results before February.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 1st Jan 19, 11:22 AM
    • 8,555 Posts
    • 18,390 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    • 1st Jan 19, 11:22 AM
    • 1st Jan 19, 11:22 AM
    On I must have neglected to read that about donated goods!
    Majority of my tops come from charity shops. Trousers/dungarees I usually buy as I'm vertically challenged so rarely find the right fit.

I loom knit myself and I've got a couple of projects in mind to use up some stash including a wrap cardi shrug type thing and a blanket cardi as I was gifted an infinity loom so I can work on much larger pieces now.
    Sounds like you have some great projects close to completion PipneyJane!

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing

Trying to get by on a single Emergency Services income
    • BabyStepper
    • By BabyStepper 1st Jan 19, 11:47 AM
    • 200 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    BabyStepper
    • 1st Jan 19, 11:47 AM
    • 1st Jan 19, 11:47 AM
    I've only just discovered this challenge...and I love it! Can I join please?

I need to sort out my clothes for New Year, some things are very tatty and some things I have too many of. I think I'll go through it all and see what I need, and what I can 'afford' depending on rations.

Did anyone keep track of roughly how much 1 coupon costs, averaged over a year's rations?

What an excellent idea. Thanks PipneyJane. Hopefully this will save me some money so I can better tackle the debt in 2019.
    May '18 £21,228.07/Dec '18 £16,897.69

20.4% paid

Getting it done

• thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 1st Jan 19, 11:52 AM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 36,014 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Please tell me all about that event, Thriftwizard, and the items you sell. I would love to be a fly on the wall, to watch what goes on.
    It's the Vintage Nostalgia Festival in Wiltshire, in May/June. Terrible name, but a lovely family-oriented show that's grown up from a vintage car rally. I should be fit to do it again this year, provided my "mopping-up" & restoration treatment goes to plan. My stall is always based around fabric/patterns/lace/haberdashery/yarn/tools & old silk garments like saris & kimonos, but usually also includes paper ephemera - postcards, maps, old catalogues & magazines - and general lunacy like LPs, suitcases, old mops & other housewares, depending on venue/event/pitch size. In other words, I'm a magpie! But seem to have a bit of a knack for finding & sometimes renovating old things that other people would also like to own, at sensible prices.

Provided I actually do get there, I'll tell you all about it after the event & post some pics. Cross your fingers for good weather, but not too hot!
    Angie

GC Jan 19 - £283.71/£400
    Bulk-buy purse '19 £250, pet & livestock food '19 £400

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 1st Jan 19, 12:55 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 1,724 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Did anyone keep track of roughly how much 1 coupon costs, averaged over a year's rations?
    Originally posted by BabyStepper
    Welcome!

I think any kind of costing is virtually impossible, because there's no allowance made for quality or materials or brand.... so my cheap £-4 Primark cotton top would be the same number of coupons as someone else's £100+ organic, hand-woven, designer top!

Even something simple like tights - most women wear cheap multipack tights from a supermarket or chainstore, but those of us cursed with long legs AND fat have to buy tights costing close to a tenner a pair (which is why i have only three pairs of tights, two of them quite a few years old...) so the same coupon-cost could be equivalent to a tenner or 50p...
    • CapricornLass
    • By CapricornLass 1st Jan 19, 6:38 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    CapricornLass
    Oh hurrah! I'm up for this again.

Did bust the limit well and truely last year - unfortunately I had to buy a pair of ankle boots as the soles of my old pair split and in the words of the song - were letting in water! On the plus side, I did manage to get them in the sale....
    My 1942 jumper is slowly being knitted up. I've just got one sleeve (started) and the neck to do. Unfortunately I had to unpick the first sleeve and recalculate the shaping as the original pattern was two inches short.... Don't know if I will finish this by the end of January, but will try.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 1st Jan 19, 6:54 PM
    • 8,472 Posts
    • 13,536 Thanks
    jackieblack
    Yes, equate tights with “stockings” at 2 coupons a pair. That is rather expensive, so have you tried the “freezer trick” to help them last longer? There’s a theory that freezing nylon changes the bonds between the molecules, making them stronger; it is recommended to place your new stockings in the freezer for the night before wearing them.
    Originally posted by PipneyJane
    I’ve never heard of that. I don’t really have a problem with tights laddering, it’s my big toenails that kill them! I usually wear thick opaque tights as a result - I can sew the holes up if necessary
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

MFW #4
    Jan - £34.33 £46.79 £77.72

‘Fashion on the ration’ challenge - 4 coupons spent
    • BabyStepper
    • By BabyStepper 1st Jan 19, 7:22 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    BabyStepper
    Welcome!

I think any kind of costing is virtually impossible, because there's no allowance made for quality or materials or brand.... so my cheap £-4 Primark cotton top would be the same number of coupons as someone else's £100+ organic, hand-woven, designer top!
    Originally posted by Laura_Elsewhere
    Thanks for the welcome and for explaining this. I've had a stroll through the 2018 thread and think I understand a bit more about this challenge. I'm looking forward to sticking to the rations, buying better quality clothing that actually lasts, and attempting to make new things out of what I already own.

A couple of questions...does anyone know how I can get the bobbly bits off my full length wool winter coat that is now in it's third winter and going strong apart from the bobbles? I have also tolerated the buttons coming undone themselves, the buttonholes are in the lining, and it has only just occured to me I can probably stitch them up easily to make them stay put.

I have already picked up a few good tips, segs for my shoes, totally forgot they existed, and tights in the freezer, worth a try. I'll keep reading and trying things out.

In the meantime I have a dress that I would like to turn into a skirt. I have very limited experience of clothes altering but I'm up for trying.

20.4% paid

Getting it done

• Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 1st Jan 19, 7:52 PM
    • 909 Posts
    • 4,931 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    A couple of questions...does anyone know how I can get the bobbly bits off my full length wool winter coat that is now in it's third winter and going strong apart from the bobbles?

Back in the day, my mother would have us sitting and picking the bobbles off by hand. OK for children. Perhaps considered slave labour nowadays. Otherwise, there used to be a small hand held machine called a Remington Fuzaway. You could try ebay.
    Striving to be mortgage free.
    2018 MFW #135

£600 of £2000
    • BabyStepper
    • By BabyStepper 1st Jan 19, 8:10 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    BabyStepper
    My OH has clippers to cut his hair, think those would work? Or would I end up with a coat full of holes?!

20.4% paid

Getting it done

• PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 1st Jan 19, 10:03 PM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 25,210 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I wouldn't risk the clippers! There are proprietary gadgets for removing 'pilling'- this is one but there are others.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 1st Jan 19, 10:06 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 1,724 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    My OH has clippers to cut his hair, think those would work? Or would I end up with a coat full of holes?!
    Originally posted by BabyStepper
    I suspect either you'd get a coat full of holes or an OH looking sorrowfully at you over the wreckage of his bluntened clippers!

I resurrected a beloved jumper that was almost invisible under the horrible bobbling, by begging my noble OH to spend several evenings picking the bits off - worth trying a barter system? Or do you have any children (own or borrowed) you could set at it as a competition?
    • *Jellie*
    • By *Jellie* 1st Jan 19, 10:16 PM
    • 2,934 Posts
    • 13,640 Thanks
    *Jellie*
    I hadn’t spotted this challenge. It is a lovely idea and probably very good for me to try.
    Over the last few years I’ve got much better at buying used or making clothes. I sew and loom knit so it will be good to have a challenge that includes the fabric and yarn. I might adapt slightly to takeinto account expense of fabrics (I often make clothes in cheaper fabric with a panel/ front in a more expensive print). I use the Lutterloh system for sewing and have collected lots of vintage patterns so I make a mix of styles through the decades from 1940s to present day!
    I do have staples I buy new and I need to keep an eye on that asI tend to buy multiples when I find the right thing as it is really annoying when I want to replace them and they are no longer sold (mainly thermals in various colours for layering and jeans)
    I look forward to having a go at this as it will beinteresting!

Sorry about typos etc!
    2019 fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 1st Jan 19, 10:25 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 3,237 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    PipneyJane keep an eye out for the event held in Chatham dockyard each year called ' Salute to the 40's '.

I love following this thread but I know I couldn't keep to the challenge. Cheering you all on though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,012Posts Today

5,561Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: Inappropriate kisses, uncharacteristic formality, or simple nonsense. I'm stumped, how do you sign off work e-mails? Eve?

• RT @BBCPolitics: "This is what annoys people. You're not answering!" Sparks (and papers) fly as @MartinSLewis challenges minister Chris Sk?

• RT @Mattallwright: Spot on. I also hate train toilet seats that try and make me laugh. It's the same joke every journey. https://t.co/b1Tj4?

• Follow Martin