Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 27th Dec 18, 6:48 PM
    • 1,471Posts
    • 17,716Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life
    • 27th Dec 18, 6:48 PM
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life 27th Dec 18 at 6:48 PM
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/Sa1sysoo words “A new thread for declutterbugs in 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019!"

I made a fairly good start in 2018 but 2019 is THE YEAR that I finally get to grips with a full declutter - I would like to have NO rooms/cupboards/drawers of Doom & I would like to have a revamped bathroom & fully decorated house My DH is going to be very busy

Plenty of options available on numbering the clutter out

2019 in 2019 or 52 in 52 weeks even 365 in 365 days & if you are feeling really adventurous a la basketcase - you can weigh the clutter out

Whichever you choose or you may choose not to number, we would love to hear both your success stories & your ways/methods of decluttering - they may not have worked for you but they may work for someone else

I am hoping that everyone who posted on the 2018 thread will also post on the 2019 thread

Welcome one and all and happy decluttering!

MrsSD

P.S. Hope this works as it is my very first attempt at starting a Thread
Page 21
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 12th Jan 19, 5:23 PM
    • 1,471 Posts
    • 17,716 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

Saturday - DH has been busy repairing the bath panel & will be painting & re-attaching over the weekend. I revisited the plastic takeaway boxes & lids - have binned a few more bits + am Kondoing the holiday washbags.

61 - 66 One plastic box, 4 plastic lids, small bag of washbag detritus - Binned
    67 Small amount of card packaging - recycled
    68 - 72 One empty tin containing 2 kitchen knives cut into pieces, 5l cider tin emptied (cider had gone off ), old metal shower hose - All for Tip

Still very slow & steady but items still going out

My cheerleading starts here

bt_dt, please take care of your back you can look, plan & list but no decluttering

bargainhunterss, keep up the good work but no money decluttering

stellata, welcome back & sorry that 2018 was not a good year Hopefully 2019 will be a productive & Happy year for you You have made an excellent start & I love the idea of a visitor admiring something & being persuaded to take it home with them

Hermia, excellent information re selling & thank you for sharing

nannywindows, sorry about the hip but I see the ‘decluttering bug’ has taken hold & you are ‘scanning & planning’ Perhaps you can persuade him that if the guarantee has run out then there is absolutely no point in keeping the box

cherie1122 & a big welcome to the ‘Decluttering Bandwagon’. We love new posters & we are all here to encourage & cheer each other on

Declutterers United in our Mission

See you tomorrow

MrsSD
    72/2019
    • short_bird
    • By short_bird 12th Jan 19, 5:30 PM
    • 1,913 Posts
    • 27,088 Thanks
    short_bird
    10 books, 2 DVD's and 1 CD out to a charity shop.
    7 items sorted for the next charity shop bag, 5 items of clothing, 1 mug and a stocking filler...

Mrs Salad Dodger: the Blu ray sales money has gone towards a trip to London in 2 weeks

Total 17 out and 7 pending.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
    • never too old
    • By never too old 12th Jan 19, 5:31 PM
    • 2,883 Posts
    • 30,697 Thanks
    never too old
    Evening all.
    Bin liner full of clothes taken to the charity shop today . Got the steps out to look on the shelf above my wardrobe and found 4 boxed dolls which I had obviously got with the intention of giving as presents a few years ago. My son has taken them for my granddaughter .sold a number of items on Facebook do this is helping me on 2 challenges...
    Obviously still have far too much clutter in doors as I’m not seeing any difference yet in doors.
    Found a photo frame in my wardrobe so I’m going to put it up on the wall with its friends even though it hasn’t got a photo in it yet ....
    Really wish Olio and Freecycle would become more popular in my area as that would help me big time .
    Enjoy the rest of the weekend
    £2019 in 2019 challenge no 18
    1% challenge no 70
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge

£898.29/£2019
    0%/100%
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 12th Jan 19, 6:15 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 17,063 Thanks
    nannywindow
    MrsSD two more boxes gone Pleaded that I was too ill to put it out in the recycling and got him to do it himself . I wonder how long I can keep this up .

OL you are not thick missus !
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 12th Jan 19, 6:21 PM
    • 393 Posts
    • 5,698 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    Nothing out the door today but I have managed to sort out a big pile of the 6 year old's outgrown clothes in the loft to give to my neighbour for her son. I made another pile for the charity shop as well. There's still loads up there that needs sorting but that's for another day. I'm currently decluttering a bottle of lovely beer that we brought back from our holiday in Scotland in the summer so it does need using up!
    • Ladykernow
    • By Ladykernow 12th Jan 19, 6:25 PM
    • 275 Posts
    • 1,140 Thanks
    Ladykernow
    Hello and can I please join you. I have all my son's stuff here in my house as he's moved in temporarily and clutter drives me crazy. I won't be disposing of his things but just old stuff that I really shouldn't have in the house. My late husband was a hoarder and I still have some of his things (he died four years ago). I won't go for 2019 things but will try and do 365 items this year.

Thanks
    Originally posted by cherie1122
    I've started a little pile so that I can see how much i've collected up and then take it to the charity shop. Try bits at a time if you find it too overwhelming. Good luck!
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 12th Jan 19, 7:12 PM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 1,677 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    Hurray DS and I took the Xmas tree down so that went out the front door and is on the lawn - will get it to the tip next week!

I know it is beyond 12th night but we never do stick to that, usually allow a few more days
    • White_musk
    • By White_musk 12th Jan 19, 8:10 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    White_musk
    I'm in!

I've been off the forum for quite a long time and moved house a year ago. During the last year I've binned so much stuff due to downsizing, it's shameful the amount of 'stuff' I had. I'm just about at the end of major home remodelling and living out of bags and boxes - yay!

As things are put back I plan on yet more clearing. I've learned that I really can manage with so much less than I currently have, so....

2019 - here we come.
    Feb 2019 GC £151.53/£300

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, wisdom to know the difference.
    • chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 12th Jan 19, 10:11 PM
    • 917 Posts
    • 6,002 Thanks
    chocolatelover93
    Parsniphead - sending hugs

Seahorsey - Welcome and good luck with the decluttering

Cranky40, Happykitties, beenthere_donethat, Nannywindow - Hope you are feeling better!

Scarlettribbons - I've found clothes sell better as bundles on FB but they don't sell for a lot, people want stuff for nothing.

Have got a bin bag full and a small bag full of bits to take to the CS tomorrow must make sure I don't buy anything for myself though. Haven't been doing much the last few days I've been ill my DS is at the childminder tomorrow and nursery Monday so am hoping to get a bit done over the next few days
    I have been decluttering my emails though, unsubbing to ones that I don't need or want anymore.

C xx
    Read my diaryHere
    • Marpau
    • By Marpau 12th Jan 19, 11:09 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Marpau
    5 items sold on Ebay today so all packaged ready for post office on monday.
    1 charity bag filled for CS new one started
    Listed surplus wool from my stash on knitting site
    Not much done today as grandson poorly so popped over to give him cuddles
    Hoping to do bathroom and kitchen tomorrow
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 12th Jan 19, 11:27 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 6,715 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Managed to send a parcel today that contained
    *25-28 cuddly toysx3
    *29-31 pet blanketsx2
    *32 pet food items
    They're for a charity branch I support and it was nice to get the items sent, esp as they have just been sitting about in the kitchen since before Christmas.
    Mind u it was a second attempt at sending the parcel , first time it was too heavy so had to remove a couple of items that will start off the next parcel and I can add a few more cuddlies in for their tombola fundraisers once I've sorted a few more bits out.
    Feel like I'm decluttering in a win win situation. I get to declutter and the charity get items they really want
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 13th Jan 19, 12:46 AM
    • 2,590 Posts
    • 16,129 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Eleven items gone today, that brings me over the 100 mark. This year, that is. Now I had better go to bed before I declutter another banana muffin,
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018 Overpaid by £555.74/2,880.00 in 2019
    Decluttered in 2019: 299/2019 as of 10/3/19
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 13th Jan 19, 8:34 AM
    • 552 Posts
    • 7,718 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    Thanks chocolatelover, I'm wondering what to do now, is it worth putting the stuff on a local selling group, or shall I just chazzer it.

I wouldn't ask for a lot anyway, I've looked at prices and I know that stuff doesn't go for much

The 2 main items are a 3-in-one winter coat that DH has hardly worn, and a pair of boots that I've hardly worn.

I'll chance it I think and see what happens
    • John Blaze
    • By John Blaze 13th Jan 19, 12:28 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    John Blaze
    a messy house is a messy..
    • sootypea
    • By sootypea 13th Jan 19, 1:39 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 659 Thanks
    sootypea
    Thanks chocolatelover, I'm wondering what to do now, is it worth putting the stuff on a local selling group, or shall I just chazzer it.

I wouldn't ask for a lot anyway, I've looked at prices and I know that stuff doesn't go for much

The 2 main items are a 3-in-one winter coat that DH has hardly worn, and a pair of boots that I've hardly worn.

I'll chance it I think and see what happens
    Originally posted by ScarletRibbons
    I have been selling all mine on vinted. have managed to get rid of quite a lot
    an GC. £180.00/£300
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 13th Jan 19, 2:51 PM
    • 2,468 Posts
    • 17,956 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I'm taking the bag to the charity shop tomorrow. I had forgotten that my husband had a day off so I've booked in for a treatment at the Chinese herbalists and I will drop the stuff off first. I am going to go through our wardrobes again to see if I can get another donation bag filled up.
    "Fall seven times and stand up eight."
    Japanese Proverb
    • sweetpea26
    • By sweetpea26 13th Jan 19, 3:11 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 5,433 Thanks
    sweetpea26
    some great clearing being done ...

well I have had a weekend of steady progress
    Yesterday cleared some kitchen storage ...
    out went
    Lots of lids from missing containers
    out of date food ... shameful.
    loads of paper recycled and a bag of unneeded items filled for charity shop

Tackled one bedroom built in wardrobe storage area and filled 5 bags ready for charity shop...these contain games, clothes and kids books.
    Long overdue as my kids are in their twenties All now in car ready for delivery tomorrow morning.

Spare room was started and out has come 2 pieces of furniture..side tables that I had at each side of bed. They never really suited the room so I am glad they r now waiting to be shifted out of house.
    Grocery Challenge Jan..£415.23/£390 Feb.. £337.26/ £399

2019 Clutter Free Challenge 80 / 250 bags donated /recycled / Disposed of ...and any other tat I no longer need
    2 large pieces of furniture are now gone !
    • leelad
    • By leelad 13th Jan 19, 3:56 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    leelad
    Well, two charity bags dropped off today full of clothes and books our daughter has grown out off. Damaged clock dropped off at the tip along with some old coats. Local hospital didn't want a donation of old cuddly toys because of potential risk of bacteria/infection plus difficult to sterilise. So need to rethink my plan on this one. Making very slow progress as my wife is struggling at the moment with her mental health, but posting on this thread helps me in terms of the motivation. The decluttering of the attic has to be done bit by bit.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 13th Jan 19, 5:51 PM
    • 2,635 Posts
    • 17,817 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I took DS to a party last night and two of the mum's were carrying on about Mrs Hinch and cleaning. I felt quite a slob so looked it up when I came home. Oh my goodness, I ended up watching loads of cleaning and decluttering videos on you tube. Anyway when I finally came to my senses (how dull are the people) I got on with some decluttering inspired by you guys.

I got rid of

A chipped mug
    A rubbish double egg cup
    Some strange odd toy bits
    Sprouted potatoes
    Loads of recycling
    Some bottles of flat pop

There was more but I've forgotten. There is a long way to go in the kitchen but it's looking emptied.

I'm going to sort out some stuff in the bathroom while the baths running. We have loads of bottles of stuff so no more until things run out.

Tomorrow I'm going to fill a bag for charity. It's just a shame the local charity shop in the village has closed. It was so handy.

It's going to be a good decluttdring year.
    My mini challenge: pay off MBNA by 31/08/18. £502/£502 100% (paid off 30/06/18 - 2 months early )

Pay of all debt by xmas 2019 #09 - £0/ £8471 %
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 13th Jan 19, 6:56 PM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 9,754 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    3 charity collection bags full of spare duvet covers sheets and towels taken to the charity shop today,my airing cupboard looks lovely now
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £1,756 Total Now Owed = £15,874
    Emergency Fund = £1,500 Xmas savings = £300
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

29Posts Today

3,068Users online

Martin's Twitter