Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 3,434Posts
    • 21,440Thanks
    JIL
    What are you making for dinner?
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    What are you making for dinner? 10th Jan 18 at 12:20 AM
    There were problems with the original thread in that it disappeared and could not be reinstated.

So a new thread was created and we all started again, unfortunately that thread also seems to have joined it's predecessor.

So here's a new one. We need to hear about Suki's lamb casserole and Island Maid is back from Amsterdam and must have delights to tell us about.

Maybe if the old one can be found then this can be merged?

Anyway without further ado...
    Last edited by JIL; 05-01-2019 at 7:41 PM.
Page 166
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 9th Jan 19, 6:52 PM
    • 7,678 Posts
    • 52,504 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I also love the Aldi grains. I used the morrocan buckwheat one as a base for a vegetarian pie, fried up some mushrooms, grated carrot mixed it with a packet and topped with sweet potato mash for my daughter.
    Must have been good because it made an appearance on Instagram.
    Originally posted by JIL
    Ohh yum - was it 'just' those ingredients you used? My OH is veggie but very bad at actually liking veg, plus does long hours so doesn't want to spend any time cooking when he gets home, so I'm constantly trying to come up with creative things he'll eat

Tonight I had a no bull burger, boiled pots and petit pois...OH had a pot noodle (I know.........but to be fair I had bought it as a treat so it was going to be eaten at some stage)

Have just reshuffled the freezer so my friends things are more or less on one (bottom) shelf now with a few bits on another shelf and I can sort of see / get to what is actually our food. Once she collects her stuff there's going to be a lot of freezer space - but it's good making me use what we have without trying to buy more.

I have some spinach and feta pastry things from Lidl last summer to use up but last time OH cooked some they weren't properly cooked which as some what put me off them - think he put them in for 20mins and they should take 35-40!
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• JIL
    • By JIL 9th Jan 19, 8:49 PM
    • 3,434 Posts
    • 21,440 Thanks
    JIL
    Kerri, i sauteed some onions and mushrooms added grated carrot and then the packet of bulger wheat mix. I'm sure it would take some additional bits. To be honest I was going to use tinned lentils but didn't have any and remembered a few years ago making a vegetarian chilli using buckwheat which was fab.
    I topped with mashed sweet potato and a small bit of ordinary mash mixed in. I had some, but topped mine with cheese.
    I baked it in the oven.

Tonight away with work I have had takeaway pizza and salad from a well known chain. It was surprisingly tasty.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 9th Jan 19, 9:04 PM
    • 1,095 Posts
    • 2,058 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Had miso yellowfin tuna steak in a bento style with Japanese accompaniments. Eaten using chop sticks.
    • Slowdown
    • By Slowdown 10th Jan 19, 7:45 AM
    • 399 Posts
    • 5,606 Thanks
    Slowdown
    Last night I sauteed the left over veg in the fridge drawer with onion, garlic, paprika, chilli, s&p, Worcester sauce, vegan kebab Oumph and rice. Tasted smashing, fed 4 adults, cost about 1 a head. Also made my own oat milk (1.40 in shops, 10p homemade with no carton, carbon emissions and nothing to recycle).
    • klew356
    • By klew356 10th Jan 19, 8:42 AM
    • 383 Posts
    • 2,087 Thanks
    klew356
    It was chilli I made last night, very nice it was too…. Some chilli for lunch with LO rice and tonight with nachos im thinking?
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 10th Jan 19, 8:50 AM
    • 2,254 Posts
    • 15,743 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I'm having HM lentil soup and bread rolls for lunch and will have a Fry's "chicken" burger with a baked potato and veggies for dinner.

Tonight I had a no bull burger
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    vegan kebab Oumph.
    Originally posted by Slowdown
    I like the no bull burger and the kebab Oumph!
    GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO DON'T WAIT
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 10th Jan 19, 1:00 PM
    • 2,962 Posts
    • 41,677 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Last use up before our holidays, basically an all day brekkie.

I have made and frozen chilli, curry and cottage pie to take with us, as (adult) kids are skint and it will save a few quid on food whilst away
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • vodkawitch11
    • By vodkawitch11 10th Jan 19, 2:43 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    vodkawitch11
    Sausage and bacon casserole tonight with baked potatoes, its very cold outside so that will be a warm tasty dinner. I will keep a little bacon to pop in a lentil soup for tomorrows lunch.
    • Crowdpleaser
    • By Crowdpleaser 10th Jan 19, 5:28 PM
    • 1,024 Posts
    • 11,100 Thanks
    Crowdpleaser
    Using up the Gammon from Tuesday's dinner with chips and egg. Kids will have beans too.
    Save 500 for christmas 2016 161/500
    GC March 16 252.91/300
    • Frith
    • By Frith 10th Jan 19, 6:10 PM
    • 4,883 Posts
    • 46,158 Thanks
    Frith
    Made a large amount of kedgeree. Then we had either strawberry or chocolate Gu puddings (v reduced in Morrisons).
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 11th Jan 19, 10:22 AM
    • 268 Posts
    • 1,538 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Well, trying to get down freezers but went out for lunch on Wednesday, had 2 huge skewers of chicken so ended up bring one back which I used last night in some Marigold curry sauce, it was yum but that meant just 1/2 pkt of frozen rice used up and some fresh mushrooms. Will have to do something with rice and mushrooms today - seems like a stir fry with freezer veg maybe. Still not using much up but I will get my act together ref meal planning as that worked quite well once before. Onward and upward.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 11th Jan 19, 2:25 PM
    • 2,962 Posts
    • 41,677 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    We’re having a pub meal before heading off on holiday this evening, 10 hour drive ahead of us, looking forward to some French snow and sun
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • vodkawitch11
    • By vodkawitch11 11th Jan 19, 3:21 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    vodkawitch11
    Islandmaid enjoy

Chicken and chips here, got some nice cheese bread on yellow sticker so that went nice with soup at lunchtime.
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 11th Jan 19, 4:48 PM
    • 989 Posts
    • 12,767 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Breaded chicken with rice and katsu curry sauce
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 11th Jan 19, 5:47 PM
    • 7,678 Posts
    • 52,504 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Have a wonderful time IM

OH treating us to dinner at my most favourite restaurant tonight to cheer us up after a naff Christmas, so no cooking here! (Freezer stock can well and truly wait until tomorrow too, glad rags ahoy!)
    JAN NSD 11/16

• kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 12th Jan 19, 7:44 PM
    • 7,678 Posts
    • 52,504 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Back to normal cooking after a gorgeous three course meal last night.
    OH is having some Mexican rice concoction and I had sweet n sour with HM egg fried rice. Two portions of rice LO too. Think tomorrow is chicken curry which I accidentally defrosted thinking it was a ragu which I'd planned to turn into a lasagne. Whoops!
    JAN NSD 11/16

• hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 13th Jan 19, 9:14 AM
    • 304 Posts
    • 5,301 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    Local pub has a special deal on food this month, so we're going for a roast Sunday lunch today. Will probably only need a sandwich for dinner tonight. Back to cooking tomorrow.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jan 19, 12:55 PM
    • 12,958 Posts
    • 178,818 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We've just had healthy 'Brunch' , toast, oil spray mushrooms and tomatoes, baked beans and scrambled egg with out butter etc. in the microwave and HWK had some ham too.

Supper this evening will be some melting middle fish cakes with mushy peas and a crispy iceberg (YS) based salad, very yummy!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 13th Jan 19, 1:10 PM
    • 1,095 Posts
    • 2,058 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Made a HM Coronation Chicken sandwich with raw baby spinach for lunch from the remains of a chicken carcass and the last of some HM curry powder that needed to be used up. Will be boiling the carcass up for a chicken stock this afternoon.

Am planning on having a mushroom risotto made with the above stock for supper.

With most of what I need to use up having been used up will be glad to start getting back to my more usual cooking/eating routine next week, especially as I have some newly acquired cookbooks
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 13th Jan 19, 1:17 PM
    • 11,563 Posts
    • 31,249 Thanks
    suki1964
    A great big lump of roast pork with crispy crackling, roast spuds and roast onions, cauliflower, carrots and peas

Not had pork for yonks, will be a nice change
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,520Posts Today

8,085Users online

Martin's Twitter