Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,422Posts
    • 38,793Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 270
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Jan 19, 4:47 PM
    • 13,069 Posts
    • 180,425 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Rugby tonight, we're likely to be thoroughly rolled up but it will be a good game to watch.

2) Lovely walk this afternoon, footpaths, arboretum, round the lake and back home, very nice it was too.

3) Tea and some of the Christmas Lebekuchen Hearts we opened at Christmas to nibble with it, delicioso!

4) Off to babysit the Grandpickles tomorrow while mum goes off to a spa with some university friends and dad goes off to meet his dad and watch their football club match, should be fun for each of us in different ways.

5) The info on the news this morning that all my favourite things (if the days worth of food they had on display is indicative) are healthy, full of fibre and actually good for me.....bring on the PORRIDGE!!!
    Do not go gentle into that good night, rage rage against the dying of the light Dylan Thomas

You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!
    • Lottiealice
    • By Lottiealice 11th Jan 19, 5:05 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Lottiealice
    The weather has been grimm here all day, very dark and damp - but my spirits are still high
    my 5 for the day
    1) Lovely morning out with OH to a local garden centre we had a lovely breafast full english of course and I had a voucher for free coffee so all the better.
    2) Seeing some of the spring plants they are getting in - makes you feel warmer brighter days are not too far away
    3) Catching up with a friend who has been travelling and hearing all her lovely news
    4) See my daughters face when she came out of school ( never gets old)
    5) out to my friends later for a natter and a glass of something cold - what could be better

Wishing you all a happy and healthy start to the weekend

J
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 11th Jan 19, 6:13 PM
    • 3,217 Posts
    • 37,772 Thanks
    mhagster
    Sitting on the sofa with a dog stretched across my lap.

A very early start to the day with Mr Dog vomiting. Sigh! He'd eaten something he shouldn't .

Lost a pound in weight at skinnier club.

My girl is on her homeward journey. Whilst I will miss her I also won't miss her as she will be back at home in Melbourne. It's been lovely having her here for a month but time she was away home.

So after I stopped sobbing I went into her room with a bin bag! She's my untidiest child.

Had a doze. Me and my dog. I was watching an Australian drama but decided to rest my eyes and woke up when son came in from work.

Back to the messy room!

Went through my wardrobe this morning and took a bag to charity bin. Also put a bag of cushions out for a doorstep collection first thing. I need to stop 'stuff' acruing.
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 11th Jan 19, 10:19 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 5,744 Thanks
    plumduff55
    My five for today are;

1) Exercised to dvd this morning and went for a walk after lunch so that's me completed my goal of 3 exercise sessions and 3 walks a week. Happy with that as I can now be real lazy over the weekend

2) I started knitting a baby short sleeved cardigan in the most lovely shade of raspberry and the wool is so soft it's a pleasure to knit with.

3) A neighbour asked me to adjust a coat that she bought in the sales and it's too big for her. Happy to be making a bit extra money to be adding to the holiday fund.

4) I went up the loft to get some plastic storage boxes for re organising kitchen and under stair cupboards tomorrow. The pleasure was getting down safe - about six years ago I fell down through the loft hatch and I'm always very nervous going up there now.

5) Nice dinner at mums and between us we finished her bottle of home made Baileys.

Watching Taken that I recorded last night xx
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order )
    • Frith
    • By Frith 11th Jan 19, 10:46 PM
    • 4,953 Posts
    • 46,860 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Friday).

1) 4 eggs from the hens! Usually there are 3. I wouldn't mind if they stopped altogether to boost their strength.

2) Work went OK. Took a chicken and avocado sandwich with me for lunch, which was nice. I had 2 hours between exams so sat in the staff room and chatted to various members of staff as they came and went.

3) Back home for a mad rush of trying to catch up with housework - washing up, washing, hoovering, tidying...

4) Bigger son was back from college just before me and it's all go! No word from local job yet but someone he works with at the garage is employing him tomorrow (as a sort of labourer) and he's heard back from the VSO... My sister (who works for a charity) has also found an opening for British teenagers in Ecuador!

5) Smaller son had a very poor day at school, was in isolation and will be back in isolation on Monday or Tuesday. No one seems to notice that doesn't really work for him and that while he is in there, he is missing out on GCSE teaching. He seems happy enough now, though.

6) Bigger son and I went to wassailing at my parents'. My little niece (nearly 4) was very funny. We were sitting in the living room and my mum and uncle started playing a wassailing folk song on their accordions in the kitchen. My niece immediately got up and walked and shut the living room door!

7) In bed with 1hwb now and will listen to the radio for a while.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • house elf
    • By house elf 12th Jan 19, 8:07 AM
    • 936 Posts
    • 12,253 Thanks
    house elf
    Good Morning Folks.....second attempt!

1. Singalong Bohemian Rhapsody ...Modern day Wassailling?

2. Person who bought the Piano Desk, but could not collect, still wants it

3. Beautiful morning skies on the way to work this week.

4. Food tech teacher took pity on me, and made me a cup of tea when I needed it!

5. Doing some lovely projects with my students this term, but not enough time to plan it or test things out first.......something needs to change.

Difficult to make 5 from yesterday. Mostly cross and frustrated. I need to write an email for Monday

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Jan 19, 8:15 AM
    • 13,069 Posts
    • 180,425 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1 - 5) Sitting on the Grandpickles today and it will be all 5 pleasures rolled into one and we'll come home tonight completely worn out but still smiling xxx.
    Do not go gentle into that good night, rage rage against the dying of the light Dylan Thomas

You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th Jan 19, 8:29 AM
    • 2,700 Posts
    • 34,146 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Friday pleasures,

An early morning visit from the Mistle Thrush, as we sat eating breakfast it was finding its own.

A treat for me of vase full of tulips.

Not such a pleasure, over at the yard discovered that toxic owner had taken one of my two saddlecloths when she left the previous day, whether deliberately or not I want it back so she is being asked today by someone else and will take it from there. Much better though was my girlie worked hard for her Mum and then stood quietly as I trimmed the long hair off her face.

A beautiful sunset as I was driving home.

Chicken tikka masala for tea, then later watching Delicious.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 12th Jan 19, 8:55 AM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 18,706 Thanks
    villagelife
    Lottiealice welcome to this thread. It is very welcoming and positive.

For the past couple of days. Life has been busy with organizing MIL funeral.

1. Work ok for most of the day which is an improvement.

2. Arranged to see a friend later this month. It will be lovely seeing her again.

3. Tidied the house and it looks good. Lit some candles in the evening. Lovely smell.

4. Did some batch cooking so 3 meals in the freezer. A fish pie eaten last night and lasagne ready for tonight.

5. Beautiful sunrise.
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 12th Jan 19, 8:14 PM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 22,542 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1 We popped out for a change of scenery and stopped in at the lovely fruit and veg stand, and picked up a fantastic scrapbook from a CS.
    2 One of the hoya plants was far too thick so it has been unravelled, cut back, I then added plant food, I’ll leave it a day, then I’ll fix a frame to the pot and I’ll add some more food to the soil then leave it alone and hope it will be very happy.
    3 After trying the cake I picked up reduced yesterday, DH asked for my home-made ones, as I don’t use much sugar.
    4 Remembered to enter the lottery.
    5 Watching Harry Potter.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 12th Jan 19, 9:04 PM
    • 3,217 Posts
    • 37,772 Thanks
    mhagster
    A day of not too much of anything really. Have a touch of labyrynthitis so spent most of day flat.

Dropped off DD2 at hairdressers at 9am then straight back to bed. She walked home in the rain and wind.

Watched You on Netflix from start to just finished! That's a lot of watching!

Had left over lasagne and sprouts and peas for tea.

DD1 room almost back to normal...just one corner to tackle...the one that she emptied a holdall full of stuff in so she could have the extra luggage! She'll be home in 3 hours! But clothes horses out my room and back in hers!

Just going to watch casualty and finish the last drop of crumble that's left in fridge.

Hopefully better tomorrow .
    • Lottiealice
    • By Lottiealice 12th Jan 19, 9:10 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Lottiealice
    Quite a busy day here DD had dance and a party so lots of running around

1) shopping in peace (helps me stick to my list when DD not “helping”

2) chatting to mums with a coffee at party

3) baking cakes and sausage rolls for my OH lunches (helping save the pennies and I know what’s in them)

4) Death in paradise on catch up

5) early night reading more threads and picking up loads of tips

Anyway back to the research

J
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th Jan 19, 10:44 PM
    • 8,871 Posts
    • 29,005 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Greetings midears! I know, pleasures Today but I just haven't managed to be that organised.
    DD - migod that's scary. Get the letter writing/emailing started & if you can, see or talk to someone?
    Suffolksue - this in sickness & in health bit is a heavy load some days. Do please look into respite care, as it could make life a bit better for you Both? (Forgive me if you're already there?!)
    sparrer - wonderful to see you and proud greatgran to Tommy & gran to Gracie! Thankyou for all the wonderful family news & may the year shine brightly on you all!
    plumduff55 - a memory quilt is a wonderful thing. Label it carefully with your & grandsons names and the date? Seems a bit American but adds to the fun in another 60 years and beyond. (Historian who is trying to place two family samplers, oh gods.)
    villagelife - hoping DS1 is a temporary resident & absolute pleasure!
    Lottiealice - welcome! Family are a special pleasure. (also a challenge, but...)
    mhagster - when you figure how to stop stuff accruing, I'd love to know! Meanwhile safe & happy travels to DD & Oh, Haggis....
    Frith - blimey - VSO is amazing but The Jabs - truly a pushbike is your friend... School has not twigged isolation is pointless?
    house elf - Singalong Bohemian Rhapsody - whyever not modern day Wassailling?!
    MrsLW - ah, grandpickle wrestling. May your kettle boil quickly.
    LaineyT - tulips!
    villagelife - funeral planning & batch cooking - needful and best done thoroughly.
    Purple kitten - aww when DH asks for home made cake!

OS Pleasures recently
    Hobson’s Choice & the delightful competent & slightly stunned John Mills.

Husband has found pack of “German rescue sheets” which are in fact foil blankets, rebranded. Sometimes the facts are So Prosaic....

Happily braided the last of the Aussie hootchie basha cord for Himself’s new watch. He’s happy, my fingers are a bit tired.

“There was pointing and affection...” son recalling getting drunk..

Ah, family French bread pizza. Truly a meal fit for the young at heart, the garlic enthusiast & those with muscular strength of the jaw. Another meal more assembled than cooked from scratch but the seasoning and the choice of cheeses does elevate this competent-toddler level dish.

Eldest shopping with us was firmly re-introduced to several criteria like ‘value for money’, ‘shelf life’ & ‘you Cannot eat that for breakfast’. The somewhat mutinous expression indicated a return trip in defiance might occur, but not in the rain. To be fair, he did demonstrate unit price awareness when contemplating multiples of cider, but I taught that class months ago. Even made him use his phone calculator...

Saw a robin in the supermarket carpark, whipped out phone & discovered receipt obscuring lens. Stopped trying, & just beamed at the robin, who seemed to like being appreciated. (Menfolk rolled eyes but also smiled upon robin.)

Son, experimenting with trolley nugget, returned anxious & had the most glorious look of “Ah, er, ahem” when I carefully released my token from it’s carrying catch & handed it over like a coin. Seems some gadgets do need instructions.

My recycling bin has a cheerfully glassy note. After the next emptying, I predict it will be tinny & plasticky again, but now it reminds me of cheerfully misspent youth.

Apple pie & double cream. Rubs tum...

Ah the sound of resolutions meeting reality “I had vegetable soup the day before yesterday, & yesterday & today I forgot & left the mug on the table” Freud up to his wicked tricks again. (Says she somewhat smugly with hearty hm bolognese on desk.)

Riveting article on millennial burnout reminded me of the “missing third term” - not academic, just if what you see does not make sense, you probably aren’t seeing it all - there’s a missing third (& sometimes fourth or even fifth) term.

Happy cries from the chef as he plays with new wok & shovel.... truly, the shovel is the right tool for the job, the ingredients being deftly flipped & smoothed....

Saw a star in the early morning and dutifully did not fumble for the phone as I was driving. It managed to be both merry and yet lonesome, intriguing. Surely not Jupiter?!

Eavesdropping again. The young lady beside me is telling her mother how to configure Snapchat & I am both appalled, awed & riveted.

Discovered my esteemed Asda colleague (who supplies me with fresh baking yeast) is a fellow star gazer! Weather permitting, ahem.

Politely bewildered expression of colleague when he realised I had 5m of rope in my workbag. It’s on it’s way to the car for dealing with misplaced horses but is currently alongside a coffee mug, spork, digital toolkit (in a nappy roll [all those useful zippy pockets]) & a handful of biros. Plus a box of coffee sachets for my fellow trainer. It’s a different “eh?” to the expression of those who don’t know I Scout, but it’s charming.

Been introduced to the Virgin Lounge, which isn’t Quite what it may sound & more a gender fluid gentlemen’s club without the tobacco or alcohol but much nicer technology. Very good coffee, should ease me past my caffeine-related grief at the loss of Waitrose. A related Lounge in Glasgow awaits my explorations!

Got artistic son a sepia pencil so he can "draw like Leonardo”. “de Caprio?” queried his brother...

Last time I stayed in Glasgow, I didn’t know about the hotel’s sauna & so searched Sauchiehall street for a seriously cheap swimsuit. A Primark “Love Island” item Definitely Met the spec.

Oh gods, Mock The Week. An old one, with an active & successful Andy Murray - bless the lad. (He's a breathing OS Pleasure, but to have to retire at 31 because of the pain? <shudders>)

Right. Health strength love & courage to all who have need, thick socks & safe travels where applicable and isn't keeping track of the good things a pleasure in itself?
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 12th Jan 19, 11:18 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 5,744 Thanks
    plumduff55
    Today has been a lovely relaxing pottering about day at home and here's my five;

1) Slow start in the morning as I read my book in bed for an hour before getting up. Don't usually do this but it's near the end and so exciting.

2) Booked a five day holiday to Poland in March before the B word

3) Sat at kitchen table and worked out a budget - if I do a no spend January/February and eat from the cupboards and freezer and am very frugal I should be able to pay holiday without touching savings 🤞

4) Placed all the memory squares out for grandsons quilt. A bit of tweaking to do before I start sewing.

5) HM lasagne from the freezer for dinner with actifry chips, carrots and swede. Dessert was Christmas pudding I bought on sale a year ago and never used. Delicious.

Knitting and watching tv tonight xx

DigforVictory I labelled the memory quilt I made for dgd last year with " Sewn for *** by Grandma ****** when the Beast from the East visited in March 2018"
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order )
    • Frith
    • By Frith 12th Jan 19, 11:19 PM
    • 4,953 Posts
    • 46,860 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Saturday).

1) A lie in - hoorah!

2) Bigger son has been working for a colleague, helping him move logs (I think).

3) Hens well.

4) Took smaller son and his friend to football. They went to McDonalds after and had a look round town.

5) I stayed in town while smaller son was out to save petrol. Went round the charity shops (found nothing), had a cup of tea in M and S caf! then popped to Sainsburys.

6) Have been watching Casualty.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 13th Jan 19, 1:09 AM
    • 1,463 Posts
    • 17,591 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Friday pleasures

50% of the flowers my DSis bought me on Christmas Eve are still going strong

Last of the hm soup & hm croutons for DH & I

Dry day - so pleasant walk by the dock, fed the waterfowl & dropped off the cleaning products & odd bits & bobs to cs then on to sm.

Didn’t have to wait long for bus home

2nd half of the Chinese takeaway for dinner & I have a snack portion left which is now in freezer

Street light on for an hour or so but then went out & stayed off

Saturday’s pleasures

Drizzly day on & off but warmer

Avoided getting wet when I walked to sm past the dock - fed the waterfowl - I had forgotten the potatoes on Friday

Didn’t have to wait for bus home

Started decluttering holiday wash bags

Tasty dinner - beef casserole - own concoction - with mash & green beans & the greatest pleasure was that DSis didn’t realise I had padded out 200g of beef with lentils

Snack portion left which is boxed & in freezer

Watched Avengers: Infinity War - rather annoyed at how many they have killed off

Reading your pleasures

MrsSD
    • Suffolksue
    • By Suffolksue 13th Jan 19, 5:31 AM
    • 117 Posts
    • 1,263 Thanks
    Suffolksue
    Is this early or late?
    Just spent nearly an hour getting DH up off the floor in his bedroom!We're in separate rooms as he has an all singing/ dancing bed supplied by the OTs .
    Apparently he got out of it ,missed his hand grip and ended up on all fours between the bed and wall and wardrobe .That was interesting ,!
    He's now snoring after a cup of tea and I am shattered but wide awake if that makes sense !
    Pleasures,
    1 No injuries ,could have been so much worse
    2 managed to get him up ,never yet had to call for help ,was close this time .
    3We both kept a sense of humour ,I am awed by his patience and seeming acceptance of his circumstances ,sure I would be in tears of frustration if it were me .
    4 Tea was good (can you see I'm struggling )
    5 at least I don't have to get up early for anything .

[B]DfV ,thank you ,have thought about it ,but not ready mentally yet ,will have to broach Attendance Allowance again soon .
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 13th Jan 19, 6:54 AM
    • 5,487 Posts
    • 80,565 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all, from my bed, in my house, at home.....

Hope OH is ok, Sue

Welcome back Sparra and welcome lottielace and other newbies. This is the nicest thread on mse...

Been on my hols so pleasures for the past week.

1. Warm sunshine. This should be ALL the pleasures
    2. Spending a week with OH. Lots of talking, lots of laughing...
    3. Some beautiful walks. Tenerife is truly a beautiful island. One day we walked through almond blossom, a cactus field, a lava field and a pine forest. All on the same walk
    4. Lovely food, some out and some in.
    5. Read two and a half books. Eleanor oliphant, tattooist of auscwitz, and reading peaches for Monsieur le cure (chocolat sequel). Started a Jane Austen biography also
    6. Home to my girl, and then my boy. And a curry...

Have a lovely Sunday all.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
    • house elf
    • By house elf 13th Jan 19, 7:17 AM
    • 936 Posts
    • 12,253 Thanks
    house elf
    Good Morning,

Sue I know what you mean. Sometimes if I can't get one of my boots off, and need DH's help, I start panicking, and thinking about what I would do if I was on my own.....cry and go to bed with one boot on? Your DH sounds like he is dealing with his situation with a positive attitude. It is great that you can both see the funny side.....

Yesterday

1. Kept falling asleep all day

2. The walls were knocked out in the extension today.

3. Went to John Lewis and bought a Christmas tree for the extension for next Christmas......Half price.

4. Rewarded ourselves with posh coffee, with a full loyalty card. I fell asleep

5. HM fajitas for lunch.

6. Chilli at friends house. Jolly conversation.

7. Just had a nice talk with DS1. He has just got in from work.

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 13th Jan 19, 8:02 AM
    • 3,217 Posts
    • 37,772 Thanks
    mhagster
    sue I've just been re-reading some of my old old style pleasures from around Aug/Sep 2016. I have the thread ( it was closed down to start this one) open on a tab on my iPad. I've not read through it for a while. Had been reading from the start of when I'd started (2010)

Because of the style of my writing I can remember exactly each day as I wrote it. At this point I was baking and baking everyday for a husband who suddenly had a voracious appetite. I was starting to plant things in my Australian garden though it was a very wet start to Spring. DD2 worked at the local bakers and would come home with armfuls of leftover bread. I was working Saturdays only at the cafe and hating it and plotting my leaving ( that would come in just over a months time)

I tell you this to encourage you to keep writing. We can't be there with you when your husband falls but we can be 'with you' afterwards if you tell us. There's a certain anonymity in sharing here. A safety valve of being able to say just what you want to say. We don't judge or tut or think 'really?'

We are all just in our own ways living / seeing things a bit more simply either through choice or necessity and trying to make the most of what we've got and if a good cup of tea was a pleasure then what a fine one it must have been.

Keep smiling. Keep sharing. Keep posting. And keep loving that husband of yours. Your 'now' maybe isn't how you'd thought it would be ( none of us know what's ahead) but make the most of your now.

I hope you manage to get forty winks along the way today. I'm a great advocate of a restorative 'snoozette'

Take care x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

173Posts Today

2,772Users online

Martin's Twitter