Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    Preparing for Winter V
    • 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    Preparing for Winter V 26th Nov 14 at 11:48 AM

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you've come through to this discussion from this week's email, welcome to the MSE Forum. You've joined our Old Style MoneySaving forumites chatting about how to prepare for winter.

Read below, read the last few pages of the discussion to see their most recent posts and click "reply" to join in. If you haven’t already joined join the forum to reply.

Back to zippychick's original post...

-----

Hi everyone,

As the last 'preparing for winter' thread has now grown quite long, I think it's time for a new one, and what better time of year to begin to prepare than the end of November

So here goes....a shiny new thread. Please post below all your preparations for winter. If you want to read through the tips on the older threads you can find them here:

Preparing for Winter

Preparing for winter II

Preparing for winter III

Preparing for winter IV

Other links that may help:

the ice man cometh! (merged with keeping warm)

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Frugal but happy in winter?

Winter checklist

Lets hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 1:35 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 3
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 27th Nov 14, 11:29 AM
    • 6,817 Posts
    • 87,056 Thanks
    bossymoo
    DD (4) is the proud owner of some Hello Kitty snow boots
    DS tried his on and they fit, plus I have another pair that the little boy up the road might like.

We have a nicely stocked cupboard, I think we are all set.
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies
    • Broomstick
    • By Broomstick 27th Nov 14, 12:17 PM
    • 1,461 Posts
    • 16,325 Thanks
    Broomstick
    I posted this at the end of the last thread but I'll repost here again if that's ok.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kittie
    I get almost all of my dried wholefoods from this next site and have used them for 3 years solid. Their milk is fantastic, I am storing the whole and skimmed milks in lock and locks in the shed and use 4 1/2 flat tbs per pint of water. The skimmed milk does not have the `blue` look that you get in bottled skimmed milk. I actually make 11/2 litres at a time now and tea tastes great
    http://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk...=powdered+milk

Kittie, how many tbs are there in a Kg do you reckon? I am wondering how many pints of milk I would get out of a Kg of powder.
    Many thanks
    B x
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 27th Nov 14, 4:08 PM
    • 15,418 Posts
    • 150,333 Thanks
    mardatha
    I think kittie doesnt do PMs from anybody, I have tried too
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 27th Nov 14, 4:45 PM
    • 1,863 Posts
    • 6,817 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Hi Kittie, I think that I got the last lighters from Wilkinsons although I see that Poundland do them complete with refill. How's that for a bargain? http://www.poundland.co.uk/utility-lighter
    I don't bother refilling them, at that price I'd rather renew them. I find them safer to use than matches for lighting candles, especially if they're in something deep like a lantern.
    I also like to think that once we reach the solstice we're heading for longer days, so even if we get snow it won't lie for so long. (I don't mind snow, it's ice that I worry about!) Maybe it's just my Pollyanna mentality but it works for me!
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 27th Nov 14, 5:34 PM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 79,024 Thanks
    kittie
    Thank you eenymeeny, on my list now and will get them v soon. I love the winter solstice , it always feels as though a great calmness and stillness descends on us and for me, is the real start of my winter hibernation

I have dismantled my turkey today, not just for christmas tbh but I have changed what I eat according to the d`adamo food list for my blood type, which happens to be AB+ and the food for that type is completely different for O, which is hunter gatherer. I won`t be eating many types of meat, just lamb, mutton and turkey and dh can have all kinds of meat. I had to cut out buckwheat, which I did and I was eating lots, well my tummy has gone flatter and it has def had a good effect

Stove cleaning today and decided to use spray on a sponge, carefully, to start to remove built up tar. It is making an amazing difference, I have been back and forth to the sink umpteen times and did 2 hours today. Will do more in a few days as only half done. It will make the stove much more efficient at heating the water. The spray softens the tar and then I used loads of wrung out cloth as water does the rest. Stove now fired up and no smell or anything so am v happy if tired
    • BritishBibliophile
    • By BritishBibliophile 27th Nov 14, 6:15 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 2,415 Thanks
    BritishBibliophile
    Just a thought that I had today, had to go to the dentist today as I thought I'd lost a filling. Turns out I'd only lost part of it, but he decided to remove what was left and then refill it.

It turned out that there was quite a bit of decay under the filling So I had more work done than anticipated. BUT even though I'm now miserable as sin I'm glad I got it done because chances are that if I'd ignored it, I could have ended up with a toothache over the Christmas holidays when no dental surgeries are open, thanks to the underlying decay. Alternatively if it snows you may find you've got a tooth problem but can't get out to see someone.

SO if you've been putting off getting a check-up then I highly suggest that you sort one out now, before the season of lots of chocolate!
    • calicocat
    • By calicocat 27th Nov 14, 7:09 PM
    • 4,979 Posts
    • 22,826 Thanks
    calicocat
    Plenty of candles.......tick.
    Snow shovels.......tick
    Emergency snow shovel for car...tick
    Torches charged or about to be......tick
    Xmas booze in......tick....

Need to get more bulbs...fuses just in case.
    Need to sort out freezer and get in a few bits and bobs.

Cleaned top to toe bathroom and kitchen....tick.
    Decorations etc for table organised for xmas.....tick
    Most xmas pressies...tick.

Wood for chimenea in in case of leccy or gas off...tick.
    Outside light sorted....tick.

Need to get some extra tins in and dry foods just in case of snow (well I probably don't actually but know I will anyhow).

Need to get de-icers etc in.
    Need to get tyres checked.
    Heating service.....tick.

Sorry that's so unorganised a list, have written it as I was thinking....obviously...

I wish I was off to Germany for xmas markets etc...sounds Fab, have a lovely time.
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 27th Nov 14, 7:15 PM
    • 9,319 Posts
    • 59,943 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    I couldn't send a private message maybe because I'm on the ignore list.

Anyway, here is what I wanted to say....

Sorry. Didn't mean to upset you or stop you from posting. Please do continue to post. We can agree to disagree on all things weather-related!!

Could someone make sure kittie reads this...as she won't see it because of the ignore.

Season of Goodwill to all men.....and women
    Originally posted by Karen in the Garden
    Passing on a message.

The news today about that poor young cricketer dying from a fluke accident .....we should all count our blessings and make the most of each moment, as none of us knows for certain what lies ahead.
    One life - your life - live it!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 27th Nov 14, 7:32 PM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 79,024 Thanks
    kittie
    I am posting, of course I am, I have been posting for 9 years and have made almost 9000 posts but never again about the weather to come, sorry folks, that was spoilt for everyone.

Believe me I count my blessings all the time, that is how I live hence my love of sharing
  • CH27
    I am posting, of course I am, I have been posting for 9 years and have made almost 9000 posts but never again about the weather to come, sorry folks, that was spoilt for everyone.

Believe me I count my blessings all the time, that is how I live hence my love of sharing
    Originally posted by kittie
    You are in danger of cutting your nose off to spite your face.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
    • greywitch
    • By greywitch 27th Nov 14, 8:25 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    greywitch
    i love the winter solstice too being pagan that the day i celebrate with like minded friends and christmas day is for family
    never been to xmas fair in germany but sound wonderfull one too put on my wish list
    have now got hopefully enought wood for burner too last quite a while but must get some more coal
    tried some sloe gin i made last year lovely!
    • smeeth
    • By smeeth 27th Nov 14, 8:37 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 5,231 Thanks
    smeeth
    Thank you for the new thread Zippychick much appreciated!

Can I just pass on a little tip to users of microwave heatbags? I find that sometimes they can be quite damp when heated up. Keeping them hanging over a radiator means they are alway dry and ready for use.
    Originally posted by Eenymeeny
    I would just say that you do need to be careful with this, if they dry out too much then they can become a fire hazard in the microwave.
    So getting damp might be annoying but it's also safer.

Me? well I'm going to Berlin just before Christmas because I KNOW they'll have snow, lots of wonderful dry powdery snow that you can stay upright on if you have the right boots, and I do, and temperatures of -20 and below and white lights and bratwurst and gluhwein and if we DO get snow here? well hopefully all of us who have seen the sense in being prepared will be ready won't we?
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Very jealous of you MrsL.. I adore Berlin at all times of year, but none more so than at Christmas. Spare a thought for those of us who wish we were going with you.

I must say that in this weather one of the most simple pleasures is a nice hot water bottle. I deliberately let my feet get cold in the 10 minutes before I go to bed JUST so it feels extra nice. I hope I'm not the only one that does this
    Originally posted by BritishBibliophile
    definitely not alone!

Passing on a message.
    The news today about that poor young cricketer dying from a fluke accident .....we should all count our blessings and make the most of each moment, as none of us knows for certain what lies ahead.
    Originally posted by Nargleblast
    A very true, sobering message Nargleblast.. such sad news, really feel for his family & the bowler.

I'm dreading this winter. Not so much because of weather but because I've became a carer for my papa after he had a stroke. Money is so incredibly tight, and he's cold now so not sure how we'll manage when it gets colder.
    Anchor yourself to the foundations of everything you love.

Thank you to all those who post competitions!
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 27th Nov 14, 8:47 PM
    • 9,319 Posts
    • 59,943 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Insulation, smeeth - thick curtains, draught excluders. Lots of layers of warm clothing. Hot drinks and warming stews etc. When the light fades draw curtains shut to keep heat in. There are so.many things you can do to.keep warm. Does he get the Winter Fuel payment?
    One life - your life - live it!
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 27th Nov 14, 9:00 PM
    • 6,671 Posts
    • 102,041 Thanks
    fuddle
    I am saddened that kittie wont be posting about potential weather to come and actually really cross to have lost that valuable resource in terms of preparing for eventualities. I have had heads up on many an occasion, not least the south coast storms last year when we had to travel down to house hunt. Not only was I prepared thanks to kittie but I was knowledgeable about what was to come. Had I relied on BBC weather I would not have been prepared and would have had to deal with anxiety on top of an already stressful time.

It's tiresome that the desire to debate seem to ruin resources for the greater good.

Anyway. I am thrilled tonight as DH has got an offcut of carpet that covers 70% of the kitchen. Not ideal, certainly not pretty but it will be down all winter I love this thread. It's ok to clag bubble wrap on every oriface and stick tinfoil on yer wall.
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 27th Nov 14, 9:02 PM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 79,024 Thanks
    kittie
    You are in danger of cutting your nose off to spite your face.
    Originally posted by CH27
    I don`t understand what you mean

My posts about forward weather caused upset on the board, so I have taken away the cause of the upset and will not be risking divisiveness again. I definitely don`t want to spoil the helpfulness found on this thread

My nose is not cut off and I still share lots on mse but forward weather will be shared privately. I am sure you must be able to see why. I do think that is enough about this topic tbh. It is done and dusted as far as I am concerned and time to move on
    • Mojoworking
    • By Mojoworking 27th Nov 14, 10:24 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 4,113 Thanks
    Mojoworking
    [QUOTE=kittie;67090195

Stove cleaning today and decided to use spray on a sponge, carefully, to start to remove built up tar. It is making an amazing difference, I have been back and forth to the sink umpteen times and did 2 hours today. Will do more in a few days as only half done. It will make the stove much more efficient at heating the water. The spray softens the tar and then I used loads of wrung out cloth as water does the rest. Stove now fired up and no smell or anything so am v happy if tired[/QUOTE]

Hi kittie. Sorry to be a nuisance but this has confused me. Is this a wood burner stove. I had one fitted last month and love it but I'm confused as to where to look for tar build up. Mine is just in front room and doesn't heat water - I guess I'm asking if I need to look out for something? and if yes where abouts am I looking?. Also where does the tar come from? Sorry again I'm just not understanding. I hope I've made sense. Thanks in advance mojo x ps vote for continuing weather updates I did follow the links to pc site but I didn't understand it.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 28th Nov 14, 6:13 AM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 79,024 Thanks
    kittie
    mojo, I don`t know about cleaning a wood burning stove, someone else may know. Mine is a pellet stove 112 cm high and runs the ch and hot water. It has an integral tank and the heat to the tank goes through the wall around the burner. Tar or creosote come from burning the pellets and it condenses on the walls around the burner, it eventually forms quite a thick shiny layer which retards heat exchange to the water. I should think a wood burner without water would not need the cleaning that I have done. The tar build up that might happen in a wood burner would, I believe, come from running it at too cool a temperature. I gave the door surround a very thorough go too, I got a huge amount of tar off, wasn`t noticed as it was black anyway and was all around the inside around the glass

We never noticed tar build up when we had an anthracite burner in the long distant past but the pellet stove burns much cooler

I am very happy with the cleaning so far, although I was apprehensive. The stove has just fired up again and all seems good with not even a whiff of a creosote smell. Re smoke smells from stoves, I have been reading about that as we were getting a whiff now and then. The offending joint has been re-sealed and that seems to have stopped the problem. Downdraughts can also be a problem as can lack of ventilation and a cold flue, all leading to smoke smell. I dislike the smell as the smoke contains lots of micro pollutants, only removed by a carbon filter, which I have in an airvax as dh needs his lungs protecting as much as possible
    Last edited by kittie; 28-11-2014 at 6:21 AM.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 28th Nov 14, 6:40 AM
    • 3,534 Posts
    • 3,756 Thanks
    LadyDee
    I think it's such a shame that a new thread has been started - all those very valuable tips and useful information that will probably not be read by a lot of new people who might assume it is a waste of time to go back over an 'old' thread.

Also, people won't get updates because they will not have this new thread set up for email notification of new posts.
    Last edited by LadyDee; 28-11-2014 at 6:45 AM.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 28th Nov 14, 6:44 AM
    • 3,534 Posts
    • 3,756 Thanks
    LadyDee
    Radflek Insulating Kit is due to go on sale on Amazon at 3.20 p.m. in their Black Friday event.

Usually quite expensive, but I did my radiators with it and I'm sure that it's been money well spent.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 28th Nov 14, 6:49 AM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 79,024 Thanks
    kittie
    I just made an order using a 40% off code SECRETSALE (just sent to me)

They have winter blends such as sinus, joints and Mar they have kelp. I rate them (napiers) very highly and get lots from them

https://napiers.net/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

1,620Users online

Martin's Twitter