Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    • 16,642Posts
    • 142,667Thanks
    JackieO
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) 13th Jan 18 at 10:18 AM
    Hi chums I see for some reason unbeknown to us all that the previous thread was deleted .OK well lets no be despondant it was 11 months old and I certainly didn't expect it to run as long as it did,but this will no defeat us in our object to LFHW will it .So come on chums get those ideas rolling again for the new year ahead

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    2019 January £ 41.45 in total spent this month Feb £38.95 spentMarch food spend so far £24.90
Page 69
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 2nd Jan 19, 1:04 PM
    • 1,185 Posts
    • 7,476 Thanks
    pamsdish
    While passing on tips for using up the bits usually thrown, all stalks are edible, broccoli, cauli, parsley etc, even the thick stalks from cabbage, chopped small, they all taste the same as the item.
    2018 £2285/£2149
    2019 £2000=£1682-£59=£1623-£9=£1614-£22=£1592-£25=£1567-£27=£1540-£68=£1472
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 2nd Jan 19, 7:20 PM
    • 16,642 Posts
    • 142,667 Thanks
    JackieO
    Just turned 80p worth of best mince (reduced in price) into two mince based meals ,one of which I had for dinner tonight and enough left to have with a jacket spud tomorrow I used up the last of the leftover sprouts and mushrooms and some frozen mash.Nothing bought food wise so far this year
    2019 January £ 41.45 in total spent this month Feb £38.95 spentMarch food spend so far £24.90
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 5th Jan 19, 8:52 AM
    • 16,642 Posts
    • 142,667 Thanks
    JackieO
    Hi chums still eating from existing stocks, so far nothing bought in 2019 last night I wasn't very hungry so didn't bother with cooking ,just had some sweet chilli rice cakes I found in the cupboard and had them with soft cream cheese and sliced tomato and it was just right,followed by a navel orange and it was really nice not to be eating big meals .Ate far too much over the holiday period so I think a couple of week with lighter meals won't hurt either my waist or my purse

life is back to normality at least and today I shall have porridge for breakfast and a cheese omelette for lunch and maybe some more of those rice cakes as I forgot how tasty they were.I have some soft cream cheese to use up and plenty of salady bits as well.

Slowly getting a bit more wriggle room in the freezer and I am hoping to get it defrosted before the spring

Had a sort out of my food cupboards and at last I have one double top shelf cleared of stuff.I have four double cupboards absolutely filled with stuff so to have one double shelf cleared is a mini miracle for me

Onwards and upwards chums

JackieO xxx
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 5th Jan 19, 10:42 AM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 10,075 Thanks
    Living proof
    Just turned 80p worth of best mince (reduced in price) into two mince based meals ,one of which I had for dinner tonight and enough left to have with a jacket spud tomorrow I used up the last of the leftover sprouts and mushrooms and some frozen mash.Nothing bought food wise so far this year
    Originally posted by JackieO
    In the States they sell broccolislaw which is made from the thick stems of broccoli and all the other usual ingredients. I doubt I would ever have enough of the stem to make it but if you grow it, then it would be a good idea. Apparently it's delicious.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 5th Jan 19, 11:07 AM
    • 3,851 Posts
    • 35,543 Thanks
    maddiemay
    In searching for something at the back of the high cupboard I have found part used packets of red kidney and canellini beans, both with BB date 3 and 4 years ago, oh the shame, in mitigation this was the time that I became pretty poorly and was only able to make the most basic of home cooked meals, it was only in the spring of 2018 that treatments really started to work and some energy return. I am thinking that they would be very tough if cooked now and would rather let them go to the green bin than use lots of gas and then have to throw them.

Any thoughts please?
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 5th Jan 19, 7:00 PM
    • 1,471 Posts
    • 17,716 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    First LFHW post of 2019

Happy to report that no food has been binned & I have managed to create a bit of space in both my freezers by using freezer contents plus having another reorganisation We have also eaten the oldest of the 3 XMas puddings I had in the larder
    Every potato & vegetable has been either cooked & eaten or blanched & frozen.

Today I made a soup that is sooo delicious that I do NOT want to share it I am really surprised at how well it came out as it is a complete mish-mash of foods
    So here goes:-
    A portion of cooked pasta with Bolognese meat sauce & grated Parmesan added to lo roasted parsnips, carrots, swede & potatoes plus a small amount of mashed potato, a few pieces of lo beef with an oxo cube, a beef stockpot & water with a handful of red lentils thrown in.
    The good news is that DH has just had a taste & can take it or leave so that is my lunch for tomorrow sorted . Unfortunately I will never be able to recreate it, as my Bolognese meat sauce is never the same twice in a row

Last night we had hm pizzas on puff pastry with a portion lo for DHís lunch today.

Need to write a menu plan for the coming week & will be trying to use up more freezer stock & cupboard contents.

Will probably only post every few days this year as I need to spend less time posting & more time decluttering. Howevever I will be reading daily for inspiration

LFHW

MrsSD
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 5th Jan 19, 7:53 PM
    • 3,103 Posts
    • 10,281 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Made lentil Dahl using up old red lentils, onion bought before Christmas.
    £2 Savers Club 2019 no. 1
    Save £12k in 2019 no.82 £50
    2019 - A clutter free life (40)
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 6th Jan 19, 12:22 AM
    • 27,244 Posts
    • 115,572 Thanks
    candygirl
    Made lentil Dahl using up old red lentils, onion bought before Christmas.
    Originally posted by Gem-gem
    One of my absolute faves
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • sunset gold
    • By sunset gold 6th Jan 19, 8:52 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 685 Thanks
    sunset gold
    Morning all
    Had some leftover sausage meat already mixed up for sausage rolls from NYE and a roll of readymade puff pastry to use up. Made 8 mini sausage rolls from half the pastry, then fried up some Christmas onions and mushrooms with lashings of black pepper and balsamic vinegar. Dug out some Christmas soft blue cheese, sliced and laid it the length of the pastry, topped the row with the onion/mushroom mix. Egg washed the edge and made a very long pasty. Used the last of the egg wash on top and baked for 25 mins. It looked lovely and golden and tasted scrumpy, except you could not taste the cheese? There was no texture or taste from the cheese which I find surprising and no soggy bottom, it just disappeared!

Well 3/4 of it went with two sausage rolls, so a few bites left for lunch boxes next week.

Lots of onions left so French Onion soup to make today.
    Happy Sunday Y’all.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 6th Jan 19, 6:56 PM
    • 1,471 Posts
    • 17,716 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Nearly finished my hm soup at lunchtime. There was a ladle full left which has a leek, last of the tomatoes, 2 bags of ys green beans, bag of ys curly kale & a handful of red lentils added & covered in boiling water seasoned with pepper. Now simmering on the hob.

Tonightís dinner will be pork chop, boiled potatoes, frozen green beans & carrots. Any lo potatoes will be chopped & added to soup as a thickening agent.

Still have to write my menu plan complicated by my DSisís lack of culinary adventure . DH & I are definitely more adventurous

See you later

MrsSD
    • SarahC74
    • By SarahC74 6th Jan 19, 10:26 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    SarahC74
    You can still make a stock from the chicken carcass, SarahC74; when you've stripped the bones, just add water to cover the carcass, any leftover skin, onion, and any "bendy" veg that needs using up like carrots, parsnip, leek & celery, plus plenty of salt, pepper, herbs etc. if you like them. I often add a shake of seaweed/"sea vegetable" too. Then slow-cook for at least 4 hours; if it totally disintegrates when you strain it, it's probably best to discard all the solid remains as some of those bones are very tiny & will slip through colander holes, for example. But the remaining stock is very good, and full of flavour; makes a great chicken noodle soup.

Starting the year as I mean to go on - 3 "leftovers" pies and a small quiche made tonight, to use up the last scraps of turkey, ham and beef from various festive meals, served with stir-fried veg, the last few leaves of which will be going out to the chickens tomorrow as they've now gone beyond sensible-to-use-up. The household has dwindled back down to the default 2 omnivores & 2 pescatarians for the foreseeable future, and lovely though it was to have them all gathered under our roof again, I'm breathing a sigh of relief as I can plan to use resources sensibly again and not worry about who likes (or will eat) what!

ETA: another good stock can be made from sweetcorn cobs (the actual fibrous centre bits) in the same way. There's lots of taste & goodness left in the bits that people often throw away...
    Originally posted by thriftwizard
    Thank you so much Thrift Wizard Iím sorry Iíve only just caught up with this but amazingly I did make chicken noodle soup from the stock and it was amazing! Seven portions in total so thatís a real bonus
    ďWHAT WE FEAR DOING MOST IS USUALLY WHAT WE MOST NEED TO DO.Ē RALPH WALDO EMERSON
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Jan 19, 7:42 PM
    • 16,642 Posts
    • 142,667 Thanks
    JackieO
    Hi Ya chums no cooking tonight as I had lunch out at a local pub with my oldest friend who came to visit Our birthdays are only 6 weeks apart and at our age there is very little we need or want so we go out for a meal and split the cost .Very enjoyable lunch partaken today and it cost us £7.50 a piece

Tomorrow I have a U3A coffee morning to host at the local Dobbies so freebie coffee with my Dobbies card, then home for a light lunch of probably cheese omelette as tomorrow night I get fed at the Pub Quiz night where I go on a Tuesday night so no cooking tomorrow either really
    Wednesday morning I will do my first food shop of the year and its mainly fruit and veg eggs milk and cheddar cheese as the fancy Christmas cheeses are almost finished now so fingers crossed the bill won't be a big one
    Feeling quite pleased with myself though as I now have one double shelf in on of my food cupboards cleared Only another 8 to go plus some more stuff used up from the freezer.Food bills will definitely be low this month as I am looking to use as much as I can from my existing stocks first

Onwards and upwards chums ,nothing is getting wasted though

Cheers

Jackie O xxx
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 7th Jan 19, 11:45 PM
    • 1,471 Posts
    • 17,716 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Lasagne tonight with salad. The meat sauce came from the freezer & I made the white sauce tonight - DH grated the Parmesan

The vegetable soup was transferred to a different pan so I could zizz it & then returned to the original pot - bit of pepper & rinds of Parmesan dropped in. Seems to taste ok - so will heat up tomorrow & have with hm croutons from freezer - hopefully DH will enjoy this soup DSis never even tries my hm soups

LFHW

MrsSD
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 8th Jan 19, 7:33 PM
    • 3,103 Posts
    • 10,281 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Salmon with left over veg and potatoes - yesterday.

Steak with chips and baked beans for tonight.
    Hubby had ham, egg, beans and chips
    £2 Savers Club 2019 no. 1
    Save £12k in 2019 no.82 £50
    2019 - A clutter free life (40)
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 8th Jan 19, 10:25 PM
    • 13,142 Posts
    • 115,689 Thanks
    lil_me
    Irritated found food hidden by one of the boys
    4 buns binned
    Pork pie binned
    2 scotch eggs gone into dogs
    2 packs of chicken tikka left open into dogs

They’re doing well today!
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 9th Jan 19, 5:00 PM
    • 16,642 Posts
    • 142,667 Thanks
    JackieO
    First shop of this month total £15.21 topped up on things I was running short of and no more shopping required for at least another 10-12 days fresh fruit and veg topped up, and eggs, cheese and uht milk so if it does snow next week I will have more than enough in stock.

When I picked up DGS Jack to take him back to Uni for his exam tomorrow, my son-in-law gave me a cottage pie that he had made, and portioned up one for me and one for DGS Jack so his dinner tonight is sorted, and so is mine I shall have it with some steamed cauliflower.

Tomorrow afternoon I will be travelling back to Hatfield to pick him up after his exam as his new term doesn't start until 23 January and he can get some more shifts in at his holiday job locally in the coffee shop

JackieO xx
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 9th Jan 19, 7:17 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,323 Thanks
    YorksLass
    I've just realised, this is my first LFHW post for 2019 so a very belated Happy New Year to regulars and to newcomers.

Last week I bought a ys tub of brandy butter for 25p and put it in the fridge. This morning I remembered it was still there so got it out, intending to bung it in the freezer. Oh no, it said it wasn't suitable for freezing! Being a good little LFHW-er, I used it to make a batch of oat & raisin cookies and now have a full tin of treats for our afternoon cuppa. They're rather nice, if I say so myself.

Dinner tonight was an easy affair, battered haddock (from freezer), hm chunky chips and peas. Last 2 mince pies also despatched for afters.

Whilst my freezer is stuffed again, my store cupboards were rather empty thanks to LFHW in 2018 so I had a delivery yesterday of staples (rice, pasta, pulses, oats, sugar etc). To top up the order so I could have a delivery slot for just £1, I added on quite a lot of tinned stuff and now feel comfortable again with stock levels, although my pantry does look a bit like Arkwright's store. Oh well, at least we're prepared for bad weather/illness/Brexit disasters etc.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!
    Mar: £0/£132 and 0/28 NSDs
    2019 to date: £57.81 under budget (2018: £172.45 under budget)

• ninnoodle
    • By ninnoodle 10th Jan 19, 9:41 AM
    • 428 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    ninnoodle
    I had a packet of ham and some rashers of bacon to use up so decided to make tartiflette. It meant buying a brie, potatoes and some creme fraiche but I made a big portion, nibbled some last night when it came out of the oven, had some for breakfast this morning as was so tasty (don't judge me), then divided the rest into 4 tubs and popped in the freezer.
    I'll use the rest of the potatoes for a batch of cottage pie that I'll make later this week.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Jan 19, 1:57 PM
    • 16,642 Posts
    • 142,667 Thanks
    JackieO
    just defrosted and poached in honey a bag of rhubarb from before Christmas that my sis-in-law gave me from her garden. Drained it and a big bowl topped with thick custard is now sitting cooling in the kitchen I will do for at least 4 puddings. I am now about to peel and turn into a vat of soup for next week a lot of carrots that are starting to look like an excellent basis for carrot and coriander soup for next weeks lunches.Found a tub of dried coriander leaves in the cupboard which will go into it along with a good dollop of sweet chilli sauce to liven it up a bit. No shopping required for at least another week as DD has just popped in with a spare half a dozen eggs for me she had been given a dozen by a friend at work who keeps chooks, and she likes to share her freebies with me Couldn't be any fresher as they were laid on Thursday
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 12th Jan 19, 7:27 PM
    • 5,493 Posts
    • 80,617 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Hello, everyone. My first post of the year.

OH and I are on our way back from Tenerife. The children have been home alone (don't worry, they're 22 and 19) so I dread to think what might be festering in the fridge...

Pleased to report that we didn't have to throw much from our holiday accommodation - a few tomatoes and a little bit of cheese was all. We even took a picnic yesterday as we had stuff left, even though we had planned to eat out. But it was a few quid, and a lot of time, saved by doing that. We made it on the basis that we were only going to throw it anyway, so if we changed our minds we'd lost nowt.

I will have to shop tomorrow but will see what's salvageable when I get in. OH is retiring in April, so I do need to pay even more attention to food stocks...
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

89Posts Today

2,414Users online

Martin's Twitter