Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 12th Jan 19, 6:21 AM
    • 674Posts
    • 9,847Thanks
    silver-oldie
    O/S Daily Saturday 12th January 2019
    • 12th Jan 19, 6:21 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 12th January 2019 12th Jan 19 at 6:21 AM
    This is an ďover the garden fenceĒ type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. Itís a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things weíre going to do today or what weíve achieved already. Everyoneís welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasnít just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please donít post large pictures, or clip art Ė links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that donít have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
Page 1
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 12th Jan 19, 6:24 AM
    • 674 Posts
    • 9,847 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 12th Jan 19, 6:24 AM
    • 12th Jan 19, 6:24 AM
    Good morning all

Woke at 3 this morning.

Thoughts are with all those finding life difficult

Going shopping early, should have gone yesterday but hadn't got the energy.

Take care
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 12th Jan 19, 6:32 AM
    • 6,969 Posts
    • 46,678 Thanks
    Gers
    • 12th Jan 19, 6:32 AM
    Morning everyone.

Thanks for starting us off SO. I hope you find some extra energy today.

My busy day continued yesterday though it was mostly putting piles of books in front of DM whilst she decided to keep, donate or gift them. Trouble is she can't bear to part with too many! Still, the process cleared four shelves to add to the ones done on Thursday. Baby steps.

The day was brightened by one of the grandsons sending over from Oz two wee videos of his two youngest children dancing and 'driving' a toy tractor. That cheered DM up.

Today will bring me shopping first thing and then going home.

My thoughts are will everyone here and I wish you all a happy Saturday.
    • kittydfw2012
    • By kittydfw2012 12th Jan 19, 6:32 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 675 Thanks
    kittydfw2012
    Morning Silver-oldie and everyone else when they surface

I do often check in here but trying to post a bit and join in this year. I too woke up early with the wind blowing through the big tree outside my bedroom window, looks like it's going to be a blustery one. Talking of weather, I heard the sad news last night that the BBC North West weather presenter Diane Oxberry had passed away at just 51 years old. It's funny how you get used to seeing people on the telly and never think about it much until they are not there anymore. I really felt for her colleagues who struggled through the programme to give her a fitting tribute. I liked her because she had horses and loved the Cheshire countryside like I do. Life's a funny old thing at times.

Will have a 'kitchen' day today, making healthy dinners to put in the freezer and generally pottering about.

Hope you all have a good Saturday.

x
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 12th Jan 19, 6:43 AM
    • 418 Posts
    • 8,094 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    • 12th Jan 19, 6:43 AM
    • 12th Jan 19, 6:43 AM
    Thanks for the start SO. I've been awake since 4.30, had a cuppa and been browsing online.

I had a lovely catch up with my friend yesterday and plans are in place for getting to the new yoga class next week. It's now a month since the old class finished, and I really feel I'm needing to get moving again.

Coffee club today. It really doesn't feel like a week since I was last there. I've some letters to write in the afternoon - two thank you letters and a letter of condolence. And a letter of encouragement for a cousin who's starting chemo next week. I think those will take care of the entire afternoon.

Turkey casserole for the evening meal, and I've defrosted soup for lunch.

I've promised myself a film show tonight. I've an unwatched DVD, Mr Turner which looks good and got great reviews. Anyone seen it?

Sending virtual hugs to all poorlies, carers and concerned. I hope you have the best Saturday possible, keep cosy. I haven't looked at the weather report but it feels a tad cooler than usual in the flat. It'll be the Icebreaker base layers for me today! xxx
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 12th Jan 19, 7:35 AM
    • 4,150 Posts
    • 51,309 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 12th Jan 19, 7:35 AM
    • 12th Jan 19, 7:35 AM
    Morning All

Breezy this morning but fairly mild. Bed stripped and is just spinning, it'll go on the rack when it's finished.

Thanks for your support with DD, she got an appt yesterday afternoon so I took her along after work. She got a prescription for some anti sickness tablets and had to give a urine sample, that was quite difficult as nothing was forthcoming! She looks awful and is understandably very weak. Anyway, hopefully the tablets will start to work and she'll start to recover.

Yoga this morning then I'm going to try to make marmalade, never made it before so should be fun! I also have to go to the parcel office, Amazon say there's a parcel there for me that had an attempted delivery last Saturday, I haven't had a card through the door so who knows!

I'm sure the DVD will cheer your Mum up Gers.
    Well done on the weight loss dumpling.

How are you doing taff and poppy?

Have a good weekend, take care. XX
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 12th Jan 19, 7:39 AM
    • 12,785 Posts
    • 45,254 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 12th Jan 19, 7:39 AM
    • 12th Jan 19, 7:39 AM
    Morning

3am ..yuck SO take it easy

Welcome kitty Also sad about Diane. My dad had a major crush on her and used to say she was his second wife. Such a sad waste

Wee good for you for writing letters I can honestly say I cant remember the last time I got a letter

Managed to make the chicken tagine yesterday and it was lush. Plenty left as usual so thats for today.

Normal Saturday here nothing remarkable. Have a great day all if possible
    • Bozwood
    • By Bozwood 12th Jan 19, 7:55 AM
    • 109 Posts
    • 1,431 Thanks
    Bozwood
    • 12th Jan 19, 7:55 AM
    • 12th Jan 19, 7:55 AM
    Morning everyone. I woke up very early and couldn’t get back to sleep. Dh is fishing but back later on today so I think we will go into town when he is back I have lots of washing drying so need to sort and put away today. I will mop the kitchen floor as well today I need to call in Tesco for the cats stuff and we like the Tesco orange and mango juice so will get some more
    • beenthere_donethat
    • By beenthere_donethat 12th Jan 19, 7:57 AM
    • 636 Posts
    • 209,679 Thanks
    beenthere_donethat
    • 12th Jan 19, 7:57 AM
    • 12th Jan 19, 7:57 AM
    Morning all

Yay for the weekend

I have a shopping delivery coming this morning so have been sorting out the fridge and cupboards. The fridge is looking very bare at the minute My daughter made a comment that if we were burgled, they would take one look in the fridge, then put everything back, feeling sorry for us This is why I struggle to stick to a shopping budget

This evening, we are going to a murder mystery event. I have been looking forward to this for a while now and have high hopes for a good evening.

Hope you all have a good day, whatever you're up to
    If you donít follow your heart, you might spend the rest of your life wishing you had.
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 12th Jan 19, 8:09 AM
    • 2,225 Posts
    • 23,826 Thanks
    snoozer
    We were woken at five past 7 by a phone call from the Dr's surgery - the nurse had called in sick so they wanted to cancel Steve's pneumonia vaccination. He managed to argue his way into seeing another nurse because there is so little time before he starts chemo. The consultant was outraged that they had been unable to do it before.

Laura is home but the fellow student she was going to study with has cancelled on her. Hopefully we'll see Chris and Crystal today instead.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th Jan 19, 8:16 AM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 32,906 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

I have just been out to fill up the bird feeders and itís pretty cold out there. My plans today are to visit the local tack shop as they have a flash sale and Iím in desperate need of some warm gloves to use at the yard. I also need to get to the farm shop as I have 7 for Sunday lunch tomorrow and want some braising steak to do in the slow cooker..

Glad that Steve managed to still get his jab today Snoozer.
    Hugs to all poorlies and those with worries and cares, have a good day folks x
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 12th Jan 19, 8:16 AM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 45,916 Thanks
    nmlc
    Morning everyone

silver-oldie - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Laid late for me, I got up to go to the loo really early, got back into bed and went back to sleep, evidently I needed the sleep. I have now had a shower, dressed and just finished my brekkie.

DH watching tv on catchup/recorded stuff. DS1 still in his pit, DS2 just finished his cuppa and brekkie, he'll be getting up shortly as he wants to catch a lift so he can go to the gym.

Dry underfoot, bright but blustery and not so cold here this morning.

Dinner last night was breaded chicken portions, chips/jacket potato, beans/salad. I had mushroom omelette and salad. Tonight I have some escalopes and I'll do a pasta with sauce side to go with them.

First thing I'll be going into town to visit the bank and building society. We have some jobs to do today so we'll just get stuck in and get done what we can, I must iron some work uniform too. Heating engineer was supposed to come yesterday didn't arrive so I made contact and he was at an emergency and had been since first thing, he was supposed to then come in the afternoon, that didn't happen and I haven't heard from him since. I will just get on with my day - luckily it's not a major issue.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 12-01-2019 at 8:19 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 12th Jan 19, 8:45 AM
    • 475 Posts
    • 6,492 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    Good morning all, and welcome Kitty. Seems a bit chilly here, with grey skies.

Ok day yesterday - I went to the market, there was one fabric stall and I bought some cotton fabric to make a tablecloth. Some of my tablecloths are old and looking a bit careworn so I'm replacing them.
    You are probably wondering why I don't just buy some, but a decent looking cotton tablecloth is often expensive, and as a true MSE'er I'm trying to save money!!

Glad Steve managed to make the doctors give him his pneumonia injection, he will be vulnerable during chemo, I'm sure. He needs all the help he can get.

Hope you enjoy your murder mystery BTDT, sounds intrigiung!

Thinking of everyone, hope you all have as good a day as you can
    Take care folks
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 12th Jan 19, 9:20 AM
    • 2,417 Posts
    • 25,245 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

I had a decent night last night. OH was up to the toilet, but I went back to sleep after a short while, woke about 8.30, so up, showered and dressed, am on my way to the Drs in a while about my wrist.

Horrid, dull grey morning, just about matches my mood, will be much better as the lighter days roll round, can't wait.

No plans, I was going to do the kitchen yesterday but exhausted after a bad night, so it will have to wait.

Hester posted twice yesterday on her blog. I know she has bad reception where they are just now.

Bacon and egg for supper tonight.
    • redruby
    • By redruby 12th Jan 19, 9:47 AM
    • 6,909 Posts
    • 96,906 Thanks
    redruby
    Morning all

Its a bit dull and overcast here but no frost so I don't think its very cold.

OH is still in bed ! he said he would go shopping today as we are both full of colds his is on the way out and mine just started, I must have sneezed 60 times yesterday !! so while he is shopping I shall potter round here and have a quick tidy through, the bin and recycling need emptying too.

Once he is back we need to take the old TD (the people never picked it up ) to OH work they have a metal skip there we can put it in, its been on the front grass all week and I was hoping it would 'disappear' but no luck so far

Will then take the dog out for her walk maybe to the beach depending on the tide.

A film / nap this afternoon and then a nice dinner and wine tonight.

Snoozer I am glad to hear that Steve can still have his jab xx

Camelot your poor dd it sounds awful I hope she is better soon xx

Have good days all xx
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 12th Jan 19, 10:25 AM
    • 2,032 Posts
    • 25,167 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Morning all, I've had another lie-in until 5, that's 3 now, excellent.

Welcome kitty, nice to see a new poster.

Good to know that Steve can have his injection.

I've done little so far today, another tidy round that should not have been needed, OH has been hunter-gathering at M*rrison's and is now putting the shopping away. What a fascinating life we do lead.

I have carried on with the trauma teddies, they are small and seem to knit themselves. I'm not using the standard pattern as I prefer one of my own.

Thinking of all those who are struggling for whatever reason.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 12th Jan 19, 11:22 AM
    • 1,090 Posts
    • 14,939 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Morning all
    Just a quick pop in for me as I'm struggling with my hip again today. I had very little sleep because of it too . I can't sit, lie or stand for too long so I'll have to alternate between them.
    I have managed to fill the DW and get that going and I shall attempt to clean the kitchen tops and the cooker top in a minute. I'll be done bit by bit. I was going to have a good tidy round but there's nothing that really needs doing, I was just going to keep myself busy and out of mischief .
    Mr Fix It is in charge of tea tonight so I have no idea what he will cook. There's plenty in the freezer and cupboards for him to choose from in any case.
    Take care all
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 12th Jan 19, 12:23 PM
    • 1,882 Posts
    • 23,054 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Morning all,
    Bit tired today,DH had a terrible night again coughing.Yesterday I bought 2 single duvet covers for our superking bed,we have the clip together duvets anyway as we like different weights and I do struggle changing the superking cover.(Lot cheaper too) I washed them before putting them on and at 1.30 am he was pulling it off saying it was itchy,it's usually me who is fussy about fabric.I'll pop it in the washer again and see how it goes.
    DGD and I had a walk to the park while DS took DGS to football,it was chilly but we had hot choc when we got in and they more or less came in at the same time,he's had to pop out now so the children are painting pictures.
    Welcome Kitty- I was also sad to hear about Diane,she was such a part of NW tv and radio for a long time and will be sadly missed.
    Not sure what I'll do for tea,I have some meatballs in the fridge but DH didnt fancy them last night,they'll have to go in the freezer if we dont eat them tonight.
    Snoozer glad Steve could still have his jab x
    Holly,glad you are feeling brighter,good to know there is heaps of support for you
    AOD,yay to the lie in
    Camelot hope DDs tablets kick in soon
    Happy Saturday everyone xx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 12th Jan 19, 12:50 PM
    • 27,005 Posts
    • 113,199 Thanks
    candygirl
    Afternoon all
    It's dark n wet here today, the Furnutters are sulking in front of the fire
    I'm popping to see Mum today , n will visit the chazzers in her village.They usually have really good stuff in .
    Being a NW girl too, I am gutted about the loss of Diane I once met her at an RSPCA open day, n had a natter about the dogs .She was very down to earth .
    OS wise i'm making red lentil lasagne later for tea
    I too have read HESTER'S blog.The last few posts are brill
    Anyway, huggles to all the poorlies n peed offs today xx
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Jan 19, 2:27 PM
    • 16,534 Posts
    • 141,573 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good afternoon chums and a very grey and dismal looking one it is here in North Kent I am glad I don't have to go anywhere and I am staying indoors in the warm.

Just been talking to my DDs ma-in-law as its a year today since our brave fighting Frank lost his battle with the big C

Where has that year gone to ,it seems to go the older you get. She is coping quite well and is going out for a meal tonight with her DD and son-in-law at Frank's favourite restaurant in Crayford. Bless her she is doing so well and I'm sure he would be proud of her.

Eldest DD popped in and gave me half a dozen eggs as she had been given a dozen from her friend who keeps chooks ,so tomorrow morning for breakfast I will have a nice couple of boiled free range eggs with my morning coffee.I don't eat many eggs but appreciate these ones as I have had them before and I know the source (very happy hens )

Tonight for dinner I have got a steak from the freezer and will have that with veg, and as I have just made it, some rhubarb and custard.
    I had a nice bag of rhubarb that my sis-in-law gave me from her garden before Christmas so I cooked it with some honey a a bit of cinnamon and then made a thick gloopy custard to go on top very yummy and its cooling in the kitchen at the moment.

Just about to spend a happy half hour peeling some carrots to make a vat of carrot and coriander soup for next weeks lunches.I found a tub of dried coriander leaves in the cupboard so they will go in it along with some sweet chilli pepper for a bit of zing

<<hugs >> to those who are having a tough time at the moment ,I will be glad when january has gone it seems such a loooong month and permanently grey and overcast.

Roll on the spring and some cheerful daffodilsI have some shoots in pots in my garden but its a bit too soon for flowers

Have a good weekend chums whatever you are doing

Cheers
    JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    2019 £15.21 for my food shopping so far
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,677Posts Today

8,535Users online

Martin's Twitter