Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 5,171Posts
    • 31,833Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.

Page 333
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Jan 19, 12:13 PM
    • 5,171 Posts
    • 31,833 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone,
    I'm having a pause from chores for a cuppa. Think I'm more or less on track for folk round tonight, just some dips to make later for our "picky bits" meal. My Dad popped by earlier and has toddled off with a small ramekin of HM pate for his lunch. I had some earlier (for quality control purposes) on toast for breakfast and thought it was pretty good.
    Last of the pack of bagels for lunch with ham & tomato and some pickles.

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 11th Jan 19, 3:25 PM
    • 2,471 Posts
    • 17,980 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I've had toast with vegan cream cheese and a few grapes. Bottle of kombucha and sparkling water to drink.

After my haircut I'm going to go out and buy black olives for my mini cheese and cherry tomato pizzas that I'm making tonight. Two pizzas for today and two for tomorrow.

I'm going to have some steamed veggies, gherkins and kimchi with them. Bit of a weird combo but hopefully it was taste okay.

I have a mini blackcurrant cheesecake thing in the fridge that will be eaten later as well.
    "Fall seven times and stand up eight."
    Japanese Proverb
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 11th Jan 19, 3:41 PM
    • 27,244 Posts
    • 115,572 Thanks
    candygirl
    I've had toast with vegan cream cheese and a few grapes. Bottle of kombucha and sparkling water to drink.

After my haircut I'm going to go out and buy black olives for my mini cheese and cherry tomato pizzas that I'm making tonight. Two pizzas for today and two for tomorrow.

I'm going to have some steamed veggies, gherkins and kimchi with them. Bit of a weird combo but hopefully it was taste okay.

I have a mini blackcurrant cheesecake thing in the fridge that will be eaten later as well.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    That all sounds fab I'm having an ALDI goats cheese n spinach pizza , n salad
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 11th Jan 19, 4:16 PM
    • 2,471 Posts
    • 17,980 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    That all sounds fab I'm having an ALDI goats cheese n spinach pizza , n salad
    Originally posted by candygirl
    I bet I would have liked that when I still ate dairy.

I used to love halloumi cheese and also brie.
    Japanese Proverb
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 11th Jan 19, 4:25 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 10,077 Thanks
    Living proof
    I am on a 10 day Green Smoothie diet to kick-start some better eating habits. Today's menu included a lot of blueberries so I knew the result would be a reddish colour, so I added some of the fermented red cabbage I made a couple of months ago. It was delicious and I could taste it through the spinach, peach, berries and grapes in the recipe. I think I will try red cabbage and apple next, only to eat in a more conventional way!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • Farway
    • By Farway 11th Jan 19, 5:14 PM
    • 7,051 Posts
    • 12,998 Thanks
    Farway
    Busy day today, volunteering & committee meeting, hence late checking in

Yesterday's dinner was complete rubbish, two fried egg sarnies, followed by a bowl of muesli Just never fancied doing much

Today is not looking a lot better, cheese salad sarnie for lunch, and dinner is looking like corned beef & beetroot sarnie, maybe muesli later?

Into L's this morning, bought offer XXL salmon pack plus "baby" spuds. The intention was salmon, spuds broccoli etc. Failed again. CBA to do it

Brambling, now you've jogged me into updating my freezer list, only a tad outdated but I'll need to catch up quick before my new freezer is a frosty mystery just like my other freezer

Caron, you cleaning fridge out, I thought for one minute it was going to become a you bum sticking out & stuck in 'fridge saga
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 11th Jan 19, 6:45 PM
    • 27,244 Posts
    • 115,572 Thanks
    candygirl
    Busy day today, volunteering & committee meeting, hence late checking in

Yesterday's dinner was complete rubbish, two fried egg sarnies, followed by a bowl of muesli Just never fancied doing much

Today is not looking a lot better, cheese salad sarnie for lunch, and dinner is looking like corned beef & beetroot sarnie, maybe muesli later?

Into L's this morning, bought offer XXL salmon pack plus "baby" spuds. The intention was salmon, spuds broccoli etc. Failed again. CBA to do it

Brambling, now you've jogged me into updating my freezer list, only a tad outdated but I'll need to catch up quick before my new freezer is a frosty mystery just like my other freezer

Caron, you cleaning fridge out, I thought for one minute it was going to become a you bum sticking out & stuck in 'fridge saga
    Originally posted by Farway
    Yum at the cheese salad sarnie. It's one of my faves
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 11th Jan 19, 8:54 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 4,102 Thanks
    Brambling
    I still have freezer envy Farway it's probably just as well I can't work out where to put a second one as I would have two full ones I'm expecting some surprises tomorrow I need to do the same to my larder cupboard but doing both at once would require gin and I'm also working tomorrow from home so maybe not

I woke up feeling very grumpy today, I did apologise in advance when I got to work and at one stage it was suggested I should eat my breakfast to boast my blood sugar levels I think it was an 'age thing' being a lady of a certain age but I didn't admit that and I don't think anyone had the nerve to suggest it I didn't growl too much at my colleagues it was muttering at everything else and an empty biscuit tin

Lunch wasn't the cake, biscuits and chocolate I wanted but HM veg soup from the freezer with some crackers. Dinner was a lazy meal of HM chips from the airfryer, chipotle Quorn goujons (posh nuggets ) and sweetcorn. And I'm off to finish setting up the phones

Caronc hope you have a good evening

Living Proof is your smoothie diet just smoothies for 10 days?
    Last edited by Brambling; 11-01-2019 at 8:56 PM.
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 11th Jan 19, 10:18 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 10,077 Thanks
    Living proof
    Living Proof is your smoothie diet just smoothies for 10 days?
    Originally posted by Brambling
    The 10 day one is to kick-start your weight loss and get you used to the system. After that you go on to two smoothies and one light meal per day within certain boundaries of course. It's by an American lady called JJ Smith and she has had great success with her followers, mainly quite large African American ladies. It works for me, but the weight crept back on when I became Vegan/whole food plant based. Crikey, it makes me sound like some sort of weirdo!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 11th Jan 19, 10:35 PM
    • 2,629 Posts
    • 32,816 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    Brambling Hope you're feeling more like yourself now?

I've had a total cba day today and haven't been able to settle to anything. I've brought myself up to bed with a cookery book to soothe me

Didn't eat anything until 4pm then made the frittata that I was meant to be having yesterday but ended up with a takeaway at 9pm instead Not a good advert for CFO at the moment.

Onwards and upwards though and hopefully I'll wake full of the joys of spring tomorrow.

A G&T a day keeps the doctor away
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 11th Jan 19, 11:14 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 4,102 Thanks
    Brambling
    I'm feeling more myself thanks SunnyGirl it helped walking out of the office door at 5 and a G&T when I got home January blahs kicking in as well I think. It sounds like you're also a little out of sorts today? I understand the cookery book therapy

I'm not sure that I could follow the smoothie diet Living Proof I like eating and cooking too much I worry I would drink the smoothies and then still raid the cupboards I'm just plodding away trying to lose the last of the Christmas gain before getting back on track to fit into the clothes currently hiding under the bed
    • wort
    • By wort 12th Jan 19, 7:49 AM
    • 963 Posts
    • 11,533 Thanks
    wort
    Chicken Balti yesterday for tea ,with mint aero like choc and cuppa tea after!.
    I slept quite well last night ! Probably partly due to finishing the bottle of rose wine into a glass with my curry!!
    I took dgson up and started reading him a terry pratchet book. Then read a little in my bed before my eyes were drooping around 11. Slept till 6 a,m .which is a win.
    Working all day today and tomorrow, I'm taking a spicy chicken and salad roll for lunch with ginger yogurt and apricots after. Tea is to be decided , needs to be easy!!!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 12th Jan 19, 10:54 AM
    • 2,629 Posts
    • 32,816 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    Morning All.

A flying visit today as I'm back on the revision trail with renewed vigour after yesterday's day of apathy. To that end I'm showered, dressed and downstairs with all distractions - my phone, the tv and my knitting - out of sight

Lunch break will be at 12.30 and I'm going to have an egg mayo sandwich, tomato soup from the freezer and a yoghurt. Tea tonight will be sausages, mashed potatoes and beans which I am just in the mood for. The other half of the beans will be lunch tomorrow on toast.

I need to do a freezer list and lots of little jobs around the house but all will have to wait until next Thursday after 12 noon when I'll be finished with exams again until May whoo hoo. Having said that the modules that we are doing this semester look pretty 'reading heavy' so no doubt I'll still be kept out of trouble!

Wort I hope your back is improving xx

Brambling Gin a good cure for all sorts in my book

Living Proof I'm another who would drink the smoothies then raid the kitchen I'm afraid, I admire your willpower
    A G&T a day keeps the doctor away
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 12th Jan 19, 11:39 AM
    • 2,471 Posts
    • 17,980 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I am on a 10 day Green Smoothie diet to kick-start some better eating habits. Today's menu included a lot of blueberries so I knew the result would be a reddish colour, so I added some of the fermented red cabbage I made a couple of months ago. It was delicious and I could taste it through the spinach, peach, berries and grapes in the recipe. I think I will try red cabbage and apple next, only to eat in a more conventional way!
    Originally posted by Living proof
    That sounds very healthy. I used to have at least one green smoothie a day a few years ago and I felt much better for it.

I probably should have made a smoothie for breakfast instead of the leftover cold pizza I just had.
    Japanese Proverb
    • Farway
    • By Farway 12th Jan 19, 11:39 AM
    • 7,051 Posts
    • 12,998 Thanks
    Farway
    Yesterday's dinner was just a cheese & tom sarnie, not enjoyed mainly because I'd bought cheese on price not taste, [SP mild Cheddar BTW]my excuse is there was not a lot of choice when was buying

Followed by bowl of muesli with honey drizzle

This morning I've found out why I've lost my appetite & feeling "off"
    I've got the lurgy, man 'flu, cough, sandpaper throat, nose that thinks it's in a marathon and bones that ache. I had my 'flu jab so it is just a rotten cold
    Sat here with a loo roll for hooter blowing

At least in CFO land there is plenty of stuff in stock, fortunately I bought fresh milk & muesli yesterday so I can settle down and pick at food in comfort

Freezer list now up to date, new batch of yoghurt made, all jobs completed for the day

Lunch, likely to be plastic SP cheese on toast

Dinner, I should really try a bit of healthy, maybe one of the salmon fillets fried in butter / olive oil with smear of salady bits?

Time will tell on that part
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 12th Jan 19, 12:33 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 4,102 Thanks
    Brambling
    Sorry you're not feeling so great Farway the advantage of a well stock freezer etc when CFO you can stay in and wait it out

I've also finished the freezer audit just need to type it up I've left a piece of sirloin steak in the fridge for tomorrow's dinner still not a lot of wiggle room but now it's organised a bit more than there was, I must avoid the YSs I don't need to buy any meat or fish for a while although I seem to have very little chicken in there. There's 12 HM ready meals another 'benefit' of CFO unfortunately only a couple are soup, will need to think whether to make soup for lunches or work my way through them this week I have a lot of veg in so I'll see what tomorrow brings

I need to start work at 1pm but it will just be a case of monitoring things until about 5pm before checking everything is still working ok. Hopefully it wouldn't be like last time and over run by four hours

Lunch in a minute will be the last of the pack of quorn goujons with the last of the sweetcorn, no chips for lunch dinner will be the LO mackerel with lentil and veg mix no prep just ping as I'm not sure how work will go
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Jan 19, 7:29 PM
    • 5,171 Posts
    • 31,833 Thanks
    caronc
    Nope managed it unscathed
    Sorry you are feeling poorly - hope it subsides overnight <hug>

I've also finished the freezer audit just need to type it up I've left a piece of sirloin steak in the fridge for tomorrow's dinner still not a lot of wiggle room but now it's organised a bit more than there was,
    Originally posted by Brambling
    The lists are so helpful Brambling, while mine are reasonably up to date both my freezers are hopelessly disorganised. I really need to haul everything out and redo but cba at the moment!

Good evening everyone,

I had a lovely evening yesterday we talked & laughed until the early hours. Not a boozy one just a small cocktail and a couple of glasses of wine so no hangover but I'm shattered today as I woke at more or less my usual time.
    While we ate loads I still have quite a bit of cheese left, tomorrow I'll start vac packing anything that's opened so it keeps. My pate didn't get used as one my friends brought some, I'll portion & freeze that. We discovered we basically used the same recipe, a Delia one from the yonks ago with virtually the same tweaks over the years! I've also got lots of fruit as another friend's hubby has a F&V business so she brought a boxful for us to share, I should be loaded with Vit C for a good bit. I think I'll need as I'm back to having a scratchy throast/runny nose and I can't blame dust this time, though all the dairy I ate last night won't have helped.

Lunch was a picky plate of LO bits and tonight I'm for an oven bung it in of chicken wings, baked sweet potato and roast veg. I've put together a loose meal plan for the week to hopefully use up some of the lurking veg & other random bits.

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 12th Jan 19, 8:45 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 4,102 Thanks
    Brambling
    Glad you had a good evening Caronc sounds like my kind of evening, I'm told I'm getting old when I complain about going out and not hearing what others are saying

I hate reorganising the freezer but there is a good feeling once it's done and it is in some kind of order I only have the one freezer so not too much hassle. Larder cupboard next

Work only overrun by a little so we finished by 7.30pm, my sister popped in for an hour when it was quiet and brought a cinnamon donut my nephew made baked so not too unhealthy. I told him he owed me one after he sent me pictures at work yesterday to tease me she arrived in time to mop the blood from a cut finger and eventually but a plaster on it it's not a big cut but deep and I'm a bit of a bleeder, made typing a big of a challenge afterwards, totally my fault

Hope the studying went well Sunny
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 19, 10:17 AM
    • 5,171 Posts
    • 31,833 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Yes I'm with you there Brambling, staying in is much more my thing these days.
    It was wild here overnight and still very cold and windy. I kept been woken by something banging near by all looks ok in my garden so it must have been elsewhere. As usual when the weather is like this my balance isn't great so I'll not be doing much today. I'll do what chores need doing and then a snuggle on the sofa with my book beckons.
    LO frittata for lunch with salad and tonight I'll either make pork stroganoff or goulash as I've some sour cream needing used up.

• Farway
    • By Farway 13th Jan 19, 10:23 AM
    • 7,051 Posts
    • 12,998 Thanks
    Farway
    'morning all

The patient had a restful night and is much improved this morning

Sounds like you & I have same lurgy Caron, same symptoms anyway

The butter fried salmon fillet & splodge of salad was just right last night, easy to prep & not too big to over-face me in these lack of appetite times

B - usual porridge etc
    L, not sure, I've been asked to pop round to look at someones laptop, so may get something there
    D - Use up day, I've LO roast veg, plus one cold cooked banger. Plan is fry & make omelette thingy out of them

PS, just read Caron post, I think I'll rename my omelette thing frittata, much posher
    Last edited by Farway; 13-01-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

549Posts Today

6,448Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Early days but with 5,000 votes in... 28% think the PM should still be in role by April's end, 72% she shouldn't.? https://t.co/YXMthdN9tq

• Today's Twitter Poll: Should Theresa May still be Prime Minster at the end of April, and will she be?

• It's Friday, it's five to five and it's time for.... (not crackerjack). Me to sign off social media for the weeken? https://t.co/26qXQjBHfL

• Follow Martin