PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• mto wrote: »
    I read the book a year or so ago, and have just binge watched the Netflix series and am finally motivated. I know I'm not at this stage yet, but just wondering where people get boxes to organize small things like makeup, pens, batteries etc, the cheaper the better, but preferably not plastic. Thanks.

I use the plastic boxes that come with takeaways, (I know you don't want plastic) but I've already got them and don't want to add to landfill. (Only get a takeaway for a special occasion.) The stuff then gets put away in drawers, not cluttering my surfaces and it doesn't matter that the boxes aren't pretty. Don't go out and buy extra storage boxes.
    #77 Make 2019 in 2019 £164.04 / £2019
    Weight loss challenge#11 5 lb
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hello everyone

Did a tip run yesterday and dropped an old chair to the chazzer. I did buy three painings whilst I was there, two for the lounge, one for the dining room.

Now that my lounge and dining room have been de cluttered they really do me bring me joy. I love the feeling of light and space.

Today it's my bedrooms turn. :D.
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Cups - at a local Christmas market DD wanted to keep one rather than get the deposit back. she uses them for bits in her room so am fine with this.

Next thing i know is a bag comes from my mums with all their Christmas market mugs going back years as she thought DD might want them. I think its hilarious as i put them in her room as I don't want them [they will go once I have stopped being childish!]
    Go get it!
  • iamsalt
    iamsalt Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Just a quick stop by as i have managed to call 3 companies to let them know the previous owner of the house doesnt live hereany more. The amount of post that still comes despite my sending it back was crazy so i have decided to call people. It should reduce the waste as well as me having to deal with it time and time afain.

I spent a couple of hours digging over a bed outside getting rid of a number of weeds before the spring.

I am managing to bring only what i want/need into the house as we move back in, there are several bags ready to go and also i know there are cupboards of cooking stuff that wont make it from the temporary home to our new house. It is such a luxury to do it as i go.

S x
    £400,000 starting Jan 2020 current end date Aug 2041 I would love the end date to be 2027 but will aim first for 2037.
    1% target £4000 so far £20 paid
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I did a tip run and got rid of one shopper bag full of old light bulbs, bits of metal (screws, paperclips, etc), a pan, two tv screens, a blender. Hurray!

I am still eating down the freezer. Today dds will have pizza from bought and frozen bases, with tomato sauce from the freezer, and some parmezan from freezer (wombled from a work lunch last year). I will have red cabbage from the freezer (it didn't taste wonderful first time round, so I will have to fix it a bit) with fish fingers. Weird combo, but I don't really mind and it empties the freezer a bit. I am very good at adding bits to the freezer, and at making jam from garden fruit, etc, but I'm not so good actually eating it.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • mto
    mto Posts: 351 Forumite
    Quick question ... do I clean before or after I declutter?
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    mto wrote: »
    Quick question ... do I clean before or after I declutter?

Depends which is annoying you/ needing it more? I'd be inclined to declutter and then clean - in stages - so do my wardrobe etc (as per MK) and then clean that room. And then maintain cleaning in any decluttered/ cleaned areas whilst doing other categories

Bag of clothes and several books sold today via facebook (yeay!) A huge empty cardboard box decluttered from loft into recycling. 3 items brought down for loft for hopefully selling. An unwanted food item taken to foodbank collection point. Torn PJs (DS2) into fabric recycling.

Little by little...… ;)
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,982 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My office and sunroom have been painted today. Was panicking a bit as the lining paper ended up with some large bubbles behind it and we thought we'd have to strip it off and try again, however as it dried it's stuck back down again. So that's a win.

A couple of small unusual kondo's recently, I took a mug with me to our fitness class as we've moved locations and the new one hasn't got washing up facilities for our tea break. I managed to leave it behind the first week and nobody else from the group picked it up. I could ask at the reception desk if anybody handed it in, but it was by no means a favourite, so I've decided to let the universe keep it.

I went to a party before Christmas, wore a pair of shoes I haven't used for years. After a night of disco dancing, when I next picked them up I discovered the heels were parting company with the soles. So they've gone in the bin. Pity as they were actually more comfortable than my other black heels.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Clothes done :) partner joined in and so two big bin bags of cloths to the charity shop yesterday, plus two smaller carrier bags full of items I had saved to sell and realised I wasn't going to (I've been intending on doing a carboot sale for a year now) and another bag in the bin.

I not have four larger shopper bags of items to sell, so I may crack on with that today. Or stage 2 is books....
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    :heart2: ..... to buy my first home. :heart2:
    11K OP 31.03.19

Current goal: €151,000 deposit Ireland and counting, to buy Spring 2022 we hope!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Clothes done :) partner joined in and so two big bin bags of cloths to the charity shop yesterday, plus two smaller carrier bags full of items I had saved to sell and realised I wasn't going to (I've been intending on doing a carboot sale for a year now) and another bag in the bin.

I not have four larger shopper bags of items to sell, so I may crack on with that today. Or stage 2 is books....
    :) Oh yes to the bit I've bolded. The amount of times I've added something to a bag or box thinking I'll carboot it and then a year or so later, have done so and spent 6 hours turning a two cubic meters of discards into £50 or less (pitchfee and petrol not factored in) and also brought the unsold three-quarters back home to form the nucleous of the next car boot sale pile - arrrghhh!

:o Trouble is, I'm relatively poor and the allure of money is strong. Trouble also is, I have no car and have to rely on the one to two times a year I can organise to go with someone else in their car to make the sale even happen. The logistics are ridiculous and, I'm sure if I factored in the time, I'd be 'earning' 10p per hour.

Your comment has proved the impetus towards a decision which has been in the pipeline for some time; to call enough on this foolish-to-my-circumstances habit. I shall not form a new carboot pile. When I am at the parental home, I will tackle the carboot pile left there. Things will be donated. It will get them into the hands of folks who can use them and my 'payment' will be emotional satisfaction and also living space regained.

:kisses3: THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills