Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    Preparing for Winter V
    • 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    Preparing for Winter V 26th Nov 14 at 11:48 AM

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you've come through to this discussion from this week's email, welcome to the MSE Forum. You've joined our Old Style MoneySaving forumites chatting about how to prepare for winter.

Read below, read the last few pages of the discussion to see their most recent posts and click "reply" to join in. If you haven’t already joined join the forum to reply.

Back to zippychick's original post...

-----

Hi everyone,

As the last 'preparing for winter' thread has now grown quite long, I think it's time for a new one, and what better time of year to begin to prepare than the end of November

So here goes....a shiny new thread. Please post below all your preparations for winter. If you want to read through the tips on the older threads you can find them here:

Preparing for Winter

Preparing for winter II

Preparing for winter III

Preparing for winter IV

Other links that may help:

the ice man cometh! (merged with keeping warm)

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Frugal but happy in winter?

Winter checklist

Lets hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 1:35 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 152
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 2nd Jan 19, 8:15 PM
    • 13,074 Posts
    • 180,518 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    It's cold here tonight, we had a heavy frost this morning and the world was beautiful but hurt if you weren't wearing gloves. I see from the weather forecast we're due to be minus 3 tonight and it certainly feels colder in all the other rooms than the lounge where we have the stove lit. Thank goodness we ordered in an extra delivery of logs last week!
    Do not go gentle into that good night, rage rage against the dying of the light Dylan Thomas

You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 2nd Jan 19, 8:27 PM
    • 6,671 Posts
    • 102,041 Thanks
    fuddle
    It is colder here today. The gritting truck trundled up the hill at 6am this morning and aside from a couple of frosty mornings it feels bizarre, certainly here, that winter is just beginning. It does feel a little late.

Both of our duvets are on the bed as of teatime. Our old very warm sleeping bags from our caravan are now on my DD's bed. They're currently drawing on a piece of old duvet cover to design their own quilt which will be painted with fabric paint and I'll turn the old bags into a quilt. It's keeping them out of mischief anyway and I k ow they'll be warm in the night until they're prettied and stitched.
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 2nd Jan 19, 8:31 PM
    • 15,420 Posts
    • 150,405 Thanks
    mardatha
    White frost here all day and the birds water is frozen solid. Going to be a cold night I think.
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 11th Jan 19, 9:52 AM
    • 1,409 Posts
    • 22,468 Thanks
    Siebrie
    I am spending most of my days at home now, and I have discovered something.

We keep our temperature at 17C when we are in, and wear fleece or woollen cardigans and sweaters, and are snugly warm. We have spent ten days over christmas at my parents', who keep the thermostat at 21C. I did not pack my thick cardi, because I figured it would be warm enough there. But I wasn't!

So: low temperature + warm layers = warm. Just high temperatures isn't warm enough.
    2019's wi-wa-wombles € 119,56 = £ 102.30
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7116,68 = £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31 = £ 2,969.05
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 12th Jan 19, 8:49 AM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 7,753 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    I am spending most of my days at home now, and I have discovered something.

We keep our temperature at 17C when we are in, and wear fleece or woollen cardigans and sweaters, and are snugly warm. We have spent ten days over christmas at my parents', who keep the thermostat at 21C. I did not pack my thick cardi, because I figured it would be warm enough there. But I wasn't!

So: low temperature + warm layers = warm. Just high temperatures isn't warm enough.
    Originally posted by Siebrie
    Exactly. The other factor is drafts. If your parents house is more drafty than yours - and where you sit for long periods is in that draft - you will automatically feel colder. Where I sat for years at work, 95% of my body would be warm enough to get through a day in the office without feeling cold. The 5% that wasn’t, was my right hand which caught the draft from the air conditioning, felt like ice and ached from the cold. Even in summer, I could often be found in a tee-shirt with a fingerless mit on my right hand.

(This doesn’t happen in my current role. I spend most of my working week in a portacabin, wearing leggings under my trousers because despite heaters, the bottom third of the cabin is always cold. On top I wear a jumper, a cardigan and a fleece, gradually stripping off as the cabin warms up. I have been known to wrap my coat around my legs when the temperature is sub-zero outside. The men in my team attempt to be “hard” and end up shivering before putting their coats back on.)

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • SpikyHedgehog
    • By SpikyHedgehog 12th Jan 19, 9:20 AM
    • 999 Posts
    • 10,083 Thanks
    SpikyHedgehog
    Exactly. The other factor is drafts. If your parents house is more drafty than yours - and where you sit for long periods is in that draft - you will automatically feel colder. Where I sat for years at work, 95% of my body would be warm enough to get through a day in the office without feeling cold. The 5% that wasn’t, was my right hand which caught the draft from the air conditioning, felt like ice and ached from the cold. Even in summer, I could often be found in a tee-shirt with a fingerless mit on my right hand.

(This doesn’t happen in my current role. I spend most of my working week in a portacabin, wearing leggings under my trousers because despite heaters, the bottom third of the cabin is always cold. On top I wear a jumper, a cardigan and a fleece, gradually stripping off as the cabin warms up. I have been known to wrap my coat around my legs when the temperature is sub-zero outside. The men in my team attempt to be “hard” and end up shivering before putting their coats back on.)

- Pip
    Originally posted by PipneyJane
    I work in a preschool and we are in and out of the garden all day (as we and the children should be :-) ) - I wear fleecy trousers with leggings or thick tights underneath, and warm socks and warm ankle boots. I was outside yesterday and didn't need my coat as I was well layered up. One of the other teachers went outside with a blanket wrapped around her legs - she had a pair of leggings on, thin socks and trainers, so nothing to keep the warmth trapped in.

I turned our heating up so 17 is the default for times when we'll be in and not asleep as DS1's lurcher who joined our family in October was really unsettled when the house was colder. He did have a 'hot' water bottle tucked under the mattress of his bed every night until he chewed a hole in it... Luckily DS1 found him in the act so took it away from him so he didn't swallow the bits or cause a flood on the landing My kingsized bedspread needs washing to remove dog hair and spilled makeup, but won't fit in the washing machine, so I've draped it over the banister on the landing to baffle the drafts and tucked old fleece blankets in his beds.

We have found a jacket that DS2 will wear! DS2 has autism and struggles with textures and noises of clothes, so coats and jackets are particularly challenging... DS got him a heavy weight black demin jacket for Christmas and he is actually wearing it when we take the dog out! It's quite embarrassing, walking over frosty grass in a thick coat with hat, scarf and gloves, the dog in his warm coat, and a 15 year old in a t-shirt! (A black t-shirt, of course.) Now to get him to a shop that sells walking boots as I really can't buy him footwear without his feet with me.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (23), DS2 (15), and the lurcher, and DS1's leopard geckos.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 29th Jan 19, 4:20 PM
    • 13,074 Posts
    • 180,518 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I think winter is in the process of arriving this afternoon! I think we've got all we need in place for a snow period and the milkman obviously thinks tomorrow might be difficult as he's left our two pints that we normally have on Wednesday this morning!
    Do not go gentle into that good night, rage rage against the dying of the light Dylan Thomas

You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!
    • Princess kate
    • By Princess kate 29th Jan 19, 4:55 PM
    • 944 Posts
    • 3,887 Thanks
    Princess kate
    No snow here in Cardiff as yet, forecast for a cold night and as it's been raining so much today the ice could be really nasty. I've put the bins out in hope they're collected tomorrow, we are still waiting for our christmas tree to be collected! Windscreen cover is on the car and I topped the screen wash up with the lower temp stuff I'd bought. I had done this already but then I got a new car so needed to put some in this one. I also bought a big bag of salt/grit on amazon as we have some steps up from the house and they're often icy, I'm 5 months pregnant so really don't fancy slipping on them, that has been sprinkled down before it gets dark and the temperature drops.

I watched the MET office forecast earlier and Thursday looks like it might get interesting!

How are you doing Mardatha?
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 30th Jan 19, 8:35 AM
    • 15,420 Posts
    • 150,405 Thanks
    mardatha
    A bit of snow but not a lot, minus 6 last night and the car is a frozen white lump lol
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 30th Jan 19, 10:22 AM
    • 1,281 Posts
    • 7,391 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    It’s snowing here too. We don’t get it often as it doesn’t tend to like the sea air, luckily my online shop is due to arrive and it’s my day off so i don’t have to go out in it.
    We’re due for the temp to drop like a stone later though so that might be interesting. Eek.
    Keep warm and well guys
    Cuddles
    March NSDs 7/15
    2019 Grocery Spend £378/£2000
    March Grocery Spend £84.14/£100
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 30th Jan 19, 10:32 AM
    • 15,420 Posts
    • 150,405 Thanks
    mardatha
    We had to go up to the dentist -walking down street from the car
    park to the dentist my throat closed up with the cold air, was quite painful. And my ears were agony! I should have had a scarf on.
    • Novice investor101
    • By Novice investor101 30th Jan 19, 7:35 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 1,261 Thanks
    Novice investor101
    It's bitingly cold in South Yorkshire, but not much snow my way.
    I've turned the CH temp up on the boiler from 70c to 85c max. I've enjoyed the lower gas bills (even tho the hearings been on longer) & not really been cold in the house, it has usually stayed around 16c without the CH on in the day & warmed up quickly after.

This week, the boilers been firing the whole evening (5-8pm) & still not hitting 18c indoors. Temp during the day dropping to about 13c indoors. So I've whacked it up for a couple of days, to give the house a boost & get some warmth into the walls.

Looks like the cold snap will have passed by next week, so it'll be back to 70c.

The walks to work have been enjoyable. The crisp, freezing air on my face whilst wrapped up really warm in my big winter coat & hiking boots.
    Save £12k in 2019. #25 £0/£2000

January Grocery Challenge £14.11/£50.00
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 31st Jan 19, 2:24 PM
    • 2,468 Posts
    • 17,956 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    It felt freezing here last night. I went out for a short walk to the shops and then couldn't warm up when I got in.

We had to put the portable heater in our bedroom for a while before we went to bed.
    "Fall seven times and stand up eight."
    Japanese Proverb
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 31st Jan 19, 3:13 PM
    • 6,671 Posts
    • 102,041 Thanks
    fuddle
    For Mardatha's ears. Our noses have blood vessels that enable blood to be warmed when we breathe in cold air from our noses. This puts more pressure on the heart. Breathing cold air in from our mouths doesn't get warmed up so isn't too good for our lungs. I order you to get out your knitting needles, knit they self a scarf, stitch it to you big coat and never go out on your high hills without your breathing orifaces covered again. y'hear.
    Last edited by fuddle; 31-01-2019 at 3:26 PM.
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 31st Jan 19, 8:39 PM
    • 15,420 Posts
    • 150,405 Thanks
    mardatha
    Right fuddlywuddly I will! Been cold here all day again currently minus 6 and still dropping.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 31st Jan 19, 8:49 PM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 9,754 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    We've got snow down in Devon,it's been snowing all evening but I think it's stopped now
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £1,756 Total Now Owed = £15,874
    Emergency Fund = £1,500 Xmas savings = £300
    • happydays89
    • By happydays89 1st Feb 19, 3:22 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 1,954 Thanks
    happydays89
    I live in Aberdeenshire and we were. -10 Wednesday night ,just let the dogs out and I think it will be same today.Aberdeen (according to weather forecast)was -14 on Wednesday night.I left a bottle of water in the car only to find it was frozen solid along with the bottle of de-icer.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 1st Feb 19, 3:51 PM
    • 2,468 Posts
    • 17,956 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    It snowed here last night, but it had melted this morning. I think it is so cold today and there is a bitter wind.

I came home on the underground train and it was already full even though it wasn't rush hour yet. Maybe the managers let people start their weekend early because of the weather?
    "Fall seven times and stand up eight."
    Japanese Proverb
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

92Posts Today

1,990Users online

Martin's Twitter