Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 8th Jan 19, 7:53 AM
    • 441Posts
    • 2,704Thanks
    Si Clist
    Flannelette pillow cases
    • 8th Jan 19, 7:53 AM
    Flannelette pillow cases 8th Jan 19 at 7:53 AM
    Can any kind soul please recommend an online source of good old-fashioned decent-quality flannelette pillow cases? The only shop that sold such things hereabouts closed down ages ago, and we don't want to end up with something off Ebay that we can read a paper through after one wash ...
    A positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile
Page 2
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 9th Jan 19, 7:19 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 4,451 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    I always split downie covers and replace the back with a flannelette sheet as we cant be doing with polycotton next to us plus what's the point of a 2 sided downie cover? Who sees the underneath when you gave ut on the bed and when you wash it you dont have a replacement. My way means flanellette heaven (as its known in our house) to sleep in and 2 downie covers fir washing and swapping.

Last year I found fully flannelette covers with the matching pillowcases in both the range and b&m. Very happy as that saved me hours of crawling about the floor pinning sheets to the downie top and then sewing them.

We take our flanellette pillowcases if we ever have to sleep away from home. Taking sheets and downie covers would may be be a step too far ???

The other place I've got them is to send off to Scott's of stow. Always been good quality and they usually have patterned ones including stripes (not quite candy stripes but close)

Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • mrsnicewriting
    • By mrsnicewriting 12th Jan 19, 2:32 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    mrsnicewriting
    Company to try
    https://linencupboard.co.uk/?mc_cid=fab39daec9&mc_eid=7b0cedee31
    Hi OP
    just had an email from this company, I have ordered only cushion covers from them in the past, but the quality was good. They
    Suegave a code for a discount if required of JAN19.
    It may help, if not sorted yet
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 12th Jan 19, 2:26 PM
    • 2,573 Posts
    • 24,214 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I always split downie covers and replace the back with a flannelette sheet as we cant be doing with polycotton next to us plus what's the point of a 2 sided downie cover? Who sees the underneath when you gave ut on the bed and when you wash it you dont have a replacement. My way means flanellette heaven (as its known in our house) to sleep in and 2 downie covers fir washing and swapping.

Last year I found fully flannelette covers with the matching pillowcases in both the range and b&m. Very happy as that saved me hours of crawling about the floor pinning sheets to the downie top and then sewing them.

We take our flanellette pillowcases if we ever have to sleep away from home. Taking sheets and downie covers would may be be a step too far ???

The other place I've got them is to send off to Scott's of stow. Always been good quality and they usually have patterned ones including stripes (not quite candy stripes but close)

Daisy xx
    Originally posted by daisy 1571

I just use a flannelette flat top sheet between myself and the duvet . In warmer weather I use cotton top and bottom sheets don't like man made fibres .

I was ironing flannelette sheets earlier today and it reminded me the underside of proper flannelette is identical in feel to the upper surface , the modern brushed versions I encountered aren't as soft on the back hence my checking them in a shop before buying .

Someone mentioned a former RAF blanket which has taken me back to my 50s childhood with a heavy khaki wadded bed cover on top of the blankets in the winter as the fern ice ice patterns formed on the inside of the bedroom windows . I imagine Jackie and others will remember that . As my dad served in the Navy I've no idea where it came from , perhaps a bit of bartering but it kept me warm .
    It's been a bit of nostalgia following this thread . It brings back so many memories .

polly
    • Lily54
    • By Lily54 12th Jan 19, 3:54 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Lily54
    I bought ours in Sainsbury's. i also have Primark duvet sets but haven't been happy with the way they have washed, they feel quite rough now.
    • SpikyHedgehog
    • By SpikyHedgehog 12th Jan 19, 4:23 PM
    • 993 Posts
    • 10,048 Thanks
    SpikyHedgehog
    I bought ours in Sainsbury's. i also have Primark duvet sets but haven't been happy with the way they have washed, they feel quite rough now.
    Originally posted by Lily54
    I just use a flannelette flat top sheet between myself and the duvet . In warmer weather I use cotton top and bottom sheets don't like man made fibres .

I was ironing flannelette sheets earlier today and it reminded me the underside of proper flannelette is identical in feel to the upper surface , the modern brushed versions I encountered aren't as soft on the back hence my checking them in a shop before buying .

polly
    Originally posted by pollyanna 26
    DS2 won't have a sheet between him and his duvet, so I got him a flannelette duvet set from Sainsburys, and got him a fitted sheet to go with them. The Duvet set is brushed on both sides, but not the sheet, which is rather bizarre!
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (23), DS2 (15), and the lurcher, 1 hamster and DS1's leopard geckos.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

335Posts Today

3,933Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Yes MONSOON IS WRONG. Even with sales items you've 14 days to notify of returns & 14 days after that to return 'em? https://t.co/ZCBrcy3pe7

• RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• Follow Martin