Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 11th Jan 19, 5:51 AM
    • 740Posts
    • 10,984Thanks
    silver-oldie
    O/S Daily Friday 11th January 2019
    • 11th Jan 19, 5:51 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 11th January 2019 11th Jan 19 at 5:51 AM
    This is an ďover the garden fenceĒ type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. Itís a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things weíre going to do today or what weíve achieved already. Everyoneís welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasnít just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please donít post large pictures, or clip art Ė links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that donít have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
Page 2
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 11th Jan 19, 12:50 PM
    • 27,244 Posts
    • 115,572 Thanks
    candygirl
    Afternoon all
    I've not posted much this week, as have been feeling really panicky n anxious again .I thought the new meds had sorted it, but apparently not
    I need to do a food shop this aft, have been putting it off all week
    Talking about Mums, i'm lucky that mine is brill, n very supportive , but i've had two evil Mother in Laws
    DUMPLING that must've been an awful shock for Steve, poor woman
    Huggles to all the poorlies n peed offs xx
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Happy One
    • By Happy One 11th Jan 19, 1:24 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    Happy One
    Hi everyone, Iím having bit of a pottering day today, did give the sitting room a good tidy and hoover yesterday so have a nice room to sit in.
    Have also started on a bit of decluttering now that all the Christmas decs are away so every time I find something I no longer need or want it goes into the bag for one of my favourite charity shops.

Dumpling, many years ago I was put in a very uncomfortable position by a work colleague who was a friend though not a close one, she wanted me to be her alibi by saying if her husband ever asked that she was with me when really out with her fancy man! I refused as didnít want to compromise my own good character, itís a long, long time ago now, but I would do the same again.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 11th Jan 19, 2:14 PM
    • 2,484 Posts
    • 26,173 Thanks
    csarina2
    Dumpling, I am afraid she is not a friend if she is asking you to cover for her. I know its difficult but I would refuse by saying that you do not want to compromise yourself by telling lies to her husband. If she does not like it then thats her problem.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 11th Jan 19, 2:59 PM
    • 7,157 Posts
    • 48,617 Thanks
    Gers
    Afternoon folks.

Dumpling - such good news for you and such awful news for Steve.

Camelot - hope your DD gets an appointment.

I was out the house before 9am and back by 11am. In that time I deposited a cheque, dropped a bag of books at CS, bought face serum for DM at Boots, popped in to the optician to explain DM's absence, took rubbish to the tip, went to the Docs to get the online prescriptions changed and did a little shopping!

Think that's productive enough for now though DM has plans for me.

Happy rest of Friday to all.
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 11th Jan 19, 6:42 PM
    • 1,633 Posts
    • 22,973 Thanks
    dumpling
    Good evening everyone
    Gosh it's been a cold day today. I have spent most of it huddled up under my blanket and electric throw. I must make sure we have enough money on the gas key to last us over the weekend as I don't see it getting very much warmer.

Steve came home and took the dogs out for a very long walk so they will be nice and quiet now for the evening. Phoebe cooked dinner and now they are all eating fruit instead of biscuits...small miracles indeed.

I have thought a lot about my friend today and I think that I cannot in all good consciousness allow her to use me like that again so I will be dropping our friendship. This is painful as we have been very good friends for years but I truly believe in being faithful if you are in a relationship. I feel quite weepy about it all but it seems quite obvious to me that she does not regard our friendship in the same light as me so it is probably for the best.

A different friend rang me earlier and we had a great chat. She is very supportive and very funny so she cheered me up a lot. My mum also rang which was a rare occurance so it was good to catch up with her news. We had a very difficult relationship for years and years but I realised I could not change her into being a loving mother and just accepted her as she is. I can see patterns of behaviour going through the generations but I decided that I was going to be the best mum I could be and although it felt alien at first, I always told my children I loved them and was proud of them. My eldest daughter is a fantastic mum to her children and I hope the others will be too one day.

Wow, that's all a bit deep for a Friday night, I will stop inspecting my navel and go and watch some Simpsons with my lovely hubby. Hope you all have a great night and a peaceful weekend, take care xx

• ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 11th Jan 19, 7:47 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 7,638 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    Dumpling, years ago I was in the situation of someone using me to cover their tracks. Trouble was, I didn't realise till her husband once made a remark about long phone calls she was supposed to be having with me. This was in the days before 1471 etc.

When I realised I blundered my way through it, then when I saw her and told her, she said he'd caught her on the hop and she had just used me as an excuse!! I said how difficult it was for me, as I knew him as well as I knew her and just didn't want involvement.

They eventually divorced and she's still married to the man she was having an affair with.
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 11th Jan 19, 8:16 PM
    • 2,292 Posts
    • 24,841 Thanks
    snoozer
    dumpling, I've been thinking about mother's too. Although I wasn't terribly close to my mother we had a fairly good relationship but I too was determined to make sure my children knew how much they were loved. I have a close relationship with both of them, but especially close with Laura.
    • Lindsay C
    • By Lindsay C 11th Jan 19, 10:11 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 534 Thanks
    Lindsay C
    Just wanted to nip in and say hello- been reading but have been shattered work wise....not been an easy road back thats for sure!

On mothers - my mum is lovely and amazing until I get something serious. I had a rare form of cancer as a child and she had to be the strong one - she kind of "shuts down" now. I do understand as my dad goes panicky and fears the worst. Maybe it's his age (90)but I think he's always been like this. Forever his little girl even though not too far off 40 now! Have to admit I keep what's happening to me MS wise to me to myself as I don't want him worrying - fingers crossed I'm not too bad

Hugs to all that wants one x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,061Posts Today

8,385Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • 10 ways you should act now to beat April bill shocks - council tax UP, stamp prices UP, TV licence UP, energy bills? https://t.co/WiOWiogCCA

• I have a confession to make... I think I now prefer Young Sheldon to The Big Bang Theory (or at least to the recent series). Am I alone?

• RT @TDHPhotography: Thank you @MartinSLewis After seeing your show on Council tax exemption for severe mental disorders, after a brief batt?

• Follow Martin