Air conditioning for free by accident!

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I paid extra for it in Cyprus once. There was no chance of of just flipping a breaker.

A workman turned up with an A/C unit and installed it in the wall.
  • JReacher1 wrote: »
    In fairness many people on this forum would disagree with you. If they received 7 chicken McNuggets in their 6 nugget meal they would return to Mcdonalds and return the extra nugget.

Apparently this is what honesty is ;)

There are two differences though.
    By keeping the extra nugget you are not causing any financial loss to McDonalds as they wouldn't be able to resell it due to not knowing what the customer may have done to it.
    And secondly, the extra nugget was given in error, not taken in full knowledge of knowing that they were not entitled to it.

It's as your example stated. If the aircon was already on when you entered the room then that is the fault of the hotel staff.
    Turning the aircon on after telling the receptionist that they didn't want it is a different matter entirely.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    There are two differences though.
    By keeping the extra nugget you are not causing any financial loss to McDonalds as they wouldn't be able to resell it due to not knowing what the customer may have done to it.
    And secondly, the extra nugget was given in error, not taken in full knowledge of knowing that they were not entitled to it.

It's as your example stated. If the aircon was already on when you entered the room then that is the fault of the hotel staff.
    Turning the aircon on after telling the receptionist that they didn't want it is a different matter entirely.

Where did I say "I didn't want it." ?
  • z1a wrote: »
    Where did I say "I didn't want it." ?
    z1a wrote: »
    I said we will decide after first night when we see if needed.
    So you declined it when checking it and isn't declining it no different to saying that you didn't want it at that time?
  • z1a
    maman wrote: »
    And obviously fairly shameless about what you've got away with. You seem to feel good about it. I happen to disagree. Fortunately we're all different.

Very pleased for you.
  • z1a wrote: »
    Air-con was needed BTW, so left it on expecting to be charged at checkout, however receptionist checked our room bill at the end of stay, nothing owing, so good result, did feel guilty though, but they should lock the cabinets.
    Did re-trip them as we left.
    Would you have volunteered to pay if not asked?

So, you accidentally opened the door to the consumer unit, accidentally reset two circuit breakers and accidentally forgot to mention to the hotel staff that you had been using the airconditioner for 2 weeks.

However, you didn't accidentally forget to switch off the circuit breakers before you left and as you "did feel guilty", you were obviously aware of what you were doing was defrauding the hotel.

Does everyone in your family have the same ethics or is it just you?
  • z1a
    So, you accidentally opened the door to the consumer unit, accidentally reset two circuit breakers and accidentally forgot to mention to the hotel staff that you had been using the airconditioner for 2 weeks.

However, you didn't accidentally forget to switch off the circuit breakers before you left and as you "did feel guilty", you were obviously aware of what you were doing was defrauding the hotel.

Does everyone in your family have the same ethics or is it just you?

Can you read? I didn't accidently open the door, or accidently reset breakers. Tripped breakers were visible through clear door.
    Stated that if they charged, wasn't a problem.

Try harder next time!
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    z1a wrote: »
    Can you read? I didn't accidently open the door, or accidently reset breakers. Tripped breakers were visible through clear door.
    Stated that if they charged, wasn't a problem.

Try harder next time!

That poster does not need to 'try harder'.

We can all understand what they are saying - apart from you-apparently.
  • z1a
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    That poster does not need to 'try harder'.

We can all understand what they are saying - apart from you-apparently.

Well they're wrong.
  • z1a
    Thinking back, they weren't even contact breakers, they were just household fuses in flip down holders.
    Why doesn't hotel not just remove fuses? People aren't going to have them amongst their beachwear and toiletries - up to now anyway.
    Having had countless hols. over the years, including numerous paid for A/C rooms, I've never noticed this before.
    Will I now take more notice? In a large establishment - Absolutely, will some readers and posters? - Absolutely.
    Will pious posters that deride me for it? - Absolutely. Will they admit it? - Absolutely not!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure