We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Comments

• ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Pyxis wrote: »
    That's interesting. Nice to know that you're not riddled with red tape. Bureaucracy being sensible for once!

So, do you add up the total cost of feed etc. and then divide by the number of eggs per year to arrive at a price per egg?

I have been away from the thread for a while but we don’t do any maths to work out the price - just make sure they are slightly cheaper than the shops. We profit in summer and have losses through the winter. We charge £1 for the boxes with small eggs and £1.30 for the ones with big eggs.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 12 April 2018 at 4:50PM
    ali-t wrote: »
    We profit in summer and have losses through the winter.

It is exactly the same for us. Especially true for our duck eggs as the ducks stop laying throughout the winter whereas the hens carry on laying albeit quite a few less eggs.

Sorry I didn't answer the question you posted about this subject some time ago Pyxis. It has jogged my memory seeing ali-t's post today. OOPS I don't normally forget things like that.

We charge £1.80 for six for our hens eggs and £2.30 for six for our ducks eggs. We have 2 regular customers who have a dozen a week each if we have them. Plus other customers as and when they need them. Hubby has regular duck egg sales through the summer months from colleagues at work. We more often than not have a waiting list for both the hens and the duck eggs. We keep the wrinkled ones (from very old hens), Freckled ones (from really old hens) and any that are small in size. It is those eggs that we get our favourite homemade egg and chips supper from. YUM!! YUM!!

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    We charge £1.20 for the hens eggs, £2 for the ducks eggs - thats for 6

I don't size them, I keep the obviously small ones for us, but even those would be classed as large at the supermarket. Don't wash them or sort them, they are boxed as they come

Thats the going rate for this area. I looked at what everyone else was selling at before I priced mine. Theres a good few people around selling on the doorstep
  • edwink
    suki1964 wrote: »
    We charge £1.20 for the hens eggs, £2 for the ducks eggs - thats for 6

I don't size them, I keep the obviously small ones for us, but even those would be classed as large at the supermarket. Don't wash them or sort them, they are boxed as they come

Thats the going rate for this area. I looked at what everyone else was selling at before I priced mine. Theres a good few people around selling on the doorstep

Think you hit the nail on the head there Suki about others selling their eggs in the same area. For us we are the only ones that keep poultry around where we are AFAIK. We are in a village and tucked away right at the back of it backing on to woods.

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • suki1964
    edwink wrote: »
    Think you hit the nail on the head there Suki about others selling their eggs in the same area. For us we are the only ones that keep poultry around where we are AFAIK. We are in a village and tucked away right at the back of it backing on to woods.

Edwink

TBH I would charge more, I mean look at the price of a mars bar, but its a question of getting them shifted within a week, I don't like to have them hanging around as id hate someone to come back to me saying they weren't fresh

Making eclairs as we speak to shift half a dozen :)
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    ali-t wrote: »
    I have been away from the thread for a while but we don!!!8217;t do any maths to work out the price - just make sure they are slightly cheaper than the shops. We profit in summer and have losses through the winter. We charge £1 for the boxes with small eggs and £1.30 for the ones with big eggs.
    edwink wrote: »
    It is exactly the same for us. Especially true for our duck eggs as the ducks stop laying throughout the winter whereas the hens carry on laying albeit quite a few less eggs.

Sorry I didn't answer the question you posted about this subject some time ago Pyxis. It has jogged my memory seeing ali-t's post today. OOPS I don't normally forget things like that.

Edwink

No problem! I'd forgotten I'd asked the question! :D

I giggled at the thought of wrinkly old hens laying wrinkly eggs!

I'd love to see a wrinkly egg!

And what's the difference between a freckled egg and a speckled egg?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• edwink
    edited 13 April 2018 at 4:46PM
    No problem! I'd forgotten I'd asked the question! :D
    I giggled at the thought of wrinkly old hens laying wrinkly eggs!

I'd love to see a wrinkly egg!

And what's the difference between a freckled egg and a speckled egg?

The next time we get a wrinkled egg I put on picture of it on the thread for you. They really do look so sweet.

A freckled egg is my name for eggs that literately have small brown freckles on them. Will put a pic of one of those on here too. They are actually speckled of course but it is normally breeds like Marans and Welsummer hens that lay the Speckled eggs and not ex batt hens.

Edwink
  • suki1964
    When an egg is laid, the shell is soft. Not like jelly, but soft enough that you can etch in it using a finger nail. You often see hens claw marks on them as a hen moves one out of the way to lay theirs in the same box

If an older hen is taking her time getting an egg out, it causes wrinkles. Young hens often have the same problem. You can also get the most strange shaped eggs. Some are perfectly round, others rather elongated

All we can do is ensure they have plenty of grit to eat. That also can show in the shell, a brown or white egg with flecks of grey grit showing
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    suki1964 wrote: »
    When an egg is laid, the shell is soft. Not like jelly, but soft enough that you can etch in it using a finger nail. You often see hens claw marks on them as a hen moves one out of the way to lay theirs in the same box

If an older hen is taking her time getting an egg out, it causes wrinkles. Young hens often have the same problem. You can also get the most strange shaped eggs. Some are perfectly round, others rather elongated

All we can do is ensure they have plenty of grit to eat. That also can show in the shell, a brown or white egg with flecks of grey grit showing

It's such a shame that everything 'processed' has to appear perfect, even though that's at the expense of taste.
    Home-reared stuff is much more real.

One of the things I miss about growing my own veg is ending up with some very rude veg indeed! :rotfl:
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• edwink
    Home-reared stuff is much more real.

One of the things I miss about growing my own veg is ending up with some very rude veg indeed! :rotfl:

Talking of very rude veg we grew some really naughty carrots last year. I am talking about bodies with legs and rude willies dangling down:eek:. I kept meaning to photograph some of them but never got round to it. Will certainly try and remember this year if I can.

Our ground here is quite stony which is the main cause of the carrots looking quite odd at times. The easiest way to explain it is when a carrot is growing if it touches a stone it will start to sprout new roots in different directions so it can carry on growing. So those with perfect soil will often be the growers that grow the most perfect looking carrots, parsnips and the like. Personally I like my very rude veg so my stones are staying put :D

What types of veg did you grow Pyxis?

Edwink
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback