Can I leave an energy contract early?

Hi all,

My energy bills have just rocketed and I have done a comparison and there are cheaper. However it says my contract is until September 2019 (started in May 18). I know there is an early exit fee of £72 but am I able to leave or will they sting me for the remainder of contract until sept 2019?

Comments

• anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You have posted this in the "LPG and other fuels thread" but I assume you are just referring to normal gas and electricity for your home (not a business)?

If so then if you are in contract then you will be liable for the early exit fees, but no other cancellation charges.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The £72 early Exit Fee is just what it says on the tin - You aren't responsible to your existing supplier for the cost of supplies on the remainder of the Contract - How could you be, another company will be supplying the Energy and charging for it
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just rocketed i would check why .
    Are you on a fixed or variable contract .
    Be aware that estimated yearly costs or estimated direct debits are just that a estimate not actual cost.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    dogshome wrote: »
    The £72 early Exit Fee is just what it says on the tin - You aren't responsible to your existing supplier for the cost of supplies on the remainder of the Contract - How could you be, another company will be supplying the Energy and charging for it

Other types of contract do require payment to complete a minimum check. Better, imho, to ask and look a little bit silly, rather than do nothing and end up being hit by a large unexpected bill.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,101 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    May 18 - Sept 19 is an odd period of 16 months.

Did they rocket in May or only just ? Who is your supplier and what tariff ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Robin9 wrote: »
    May 18 - Sept 19 is an odd period of 16 months.

Did they rocket in May or only just ? Who is your supplier and what tariff ?

Possibly a Utility Point tariff - they were fixing for odd periods earlier this year.

Whoever it actually is, as there is early exit fees, it sounds like the OP is on a fixed tariff, so any rocketing of the cost will be due to a rocketing of consumption.

It could be that with such a revised higher consumption, the existing supplier & tariff can now be beaten elsewhere.

But it's going to have to be quite a huge saving to offset the £72 exit fee that will apply for the next 9 months (probably more like 7-8 months, once the switching window is taken into consideration) ... and the prices they were offering earlier this year probably beat most, if not all, of what is available anywhere now.
    But the OP says they have found something cheaper, and I believe them :)
    (so must have opted for quite an expensive tariff back in May)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure