Halifax CC fraud - your complaint experience?

I apologise in advance that this is a very lengthy post and although I don’t wish this happened to anyone but I hope some of you can share (nicely) some experience on dealing with this issue.

When I was logging on to my app to pay off this month’s balance, I noticed not 1 but 5 unauthorised transactions totalling £1,008 extra on my cc, I felt sick to the stomach. First transaction was on 8 Dec £8 at a pharmacy, then 2 transaction for cash withdrawal of £250 (suppose just on the max cash out limit) at an ATM, then again 2 cash withdrawal the next day at a supermarket ATM in South London.

I’ve been on this forum long enough not to take out cash on credit card unless I’m abroad as this CC gives the best exchange rates with no fee....anyway.

I rang Halifax and report these unauthorised transactions and informed them the last 2 transaction I used the card with (90% online unless I’m travelling). I was informed that there were 2 additional transactions today both cash of £250 and £50. Halifax also informed me that there’s been a request of new card & pin on 2 Dec. I did notice on 4 Dec Halifax send me a text saying a new card has been sent out and contact them if I don’t receive it in 5 business days (5th business days is tomorrow). I did thought it was a bit strange but my card is also expiring within the next 3 months I thought they were just sending me a new card, not to an ID thief. Of course, no card came in the post and unauthorised transactions happened.

After 30 mins on the phone and endless transfers from one dept to the next repeating the stories again. They conclude that they will not reimburse these transactions as they were done with card and pin. They claimed the fraudster would need to pass through their superior security in order to request a new card. They didn’t ask me any secret questions when I rang other than the address and date of birth. I had the card with me the entire time, I’ve never disclosed the PIN to anyone EVER. I’ve never took cash out with this card unless I’m abroad! It couldn’t be over the shoulder either as when I do use this card, I mostly use online. Someone somehow got through security and have my ID stolen baffles me and makes me really upset.

I also informed them during these unauthorised transactions I was actually out of town and I have other bank statements can prove that I was using my cards somewhere else in the UK. So after they refuse to reimburse these fraudulent transactions, they also refuse to send me a new card to my home as they conclude that my mail is not safe, the irony!! so they believe my mail might not be safe yet doesn’t believe I was a victim of ID theft and fraud. I asked for further appeal on their refusal to reimburse decision, they said there’s no such appeal. Then I asked if they can freeze these interests charges on such items they said no, I still need to make the minimum payment at least and if further proven that i am innocent (which I am) then they’ll reimburse in full, interests and fees inccurred.

Then I called the MET police and report this, I have a crime number and call ref no. Now waiting for the police fraud crime team to ring me back within 24 Hrs. I’ll also be writing Halifax a formal complaint letter tomorrow. Guess I’ll have to wait for their formal decision in writing before going to FOS?

What really got me more angrier and angrier thinking back that during my call with Halifax, they treated me like a criminal, and like its MY negligent and fault to have an insecure letterbox (so I live in a block of flats of 300 units although CCTV are only in the courtyards) and that it’s MY fault that the fraudster can swimmingly answered all my security information.

Surely, Halifax would cancel my original card as they’ve send a new card to the fraudster? I could still use my card this morning. Isn’t it Halifax’s responsibility to prove that I have been fraudulent/negligent? What’s their proof? Do they not record the phone calls? Can they not do any voice comparisons? I can prove I was nowhere near these places where these unauthorised transactions were made. Can they not look at the CCTV on the pinhole camera inside these ATM? Why am I doing the investigations? I sure still need to pay for full fraudulent amount otherwise hurt my credit score etc?

Like I said, I don’t wish such experience happen to anyone but if anyone could shed some light/experience I’d be much appreciated:

1. Have anyone any similar experience?
2. Did you get your money back?
3. How long did everything took?
4. Did you take further to Financial Ombisment Service? What’s your experience like?
5. Did you end up in small claims court? What was that like?

Comments

• Alexd52
    Alexd52 Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    About 12 months ago I had several fraudulent transactions on my Halifax card, rang them immediately and all was resolved within 30 mins. Transactions were credited back to my account and a new card issued.

Sorry to hear you are having problems
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Go down the complaints route and spell it all out, add the proof of your other charges in a different part of the UK and go from there. At this point that's the best you can do.

If that fails then contact the FoS, if you read their latest cases you'll see many that are in the same situation as you. I've had a quick read through and most of them have been resolved in favour of the customer. Multi occupancy address, pin number sent out etc etc.

You just need to clearly point out why you opted not to call them when you got a text message and lay out everything in a clear and concise manner.
  • LCM
    LCM Posts: 16 Forumite
    Thanks for the replies so far.

Good to hear the FOS are on the consumer side.
    you just need to clearly point out why you opted not to call them when you got a text message and lay out everything in a clear and concise manner.

The text only said to contact them if I had not received New card in the next 5 business days which was the last day is 11 Dec, that’s the day I have not receive the new card and day of report. I did thought it was odd but my current card does expire in the next 3 months so I just thought they were just sending me a new card.

If the text reads “a new card has been sent to you, if you have not requested this, please contact us.” this would have been different.
  • bluffer
    bluffer Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    a few things.

if you thought the text was strange why didnt you call them? especially of as you say you are a long time member here so you must be aware of possible fraud. 3 months til the new card is outside the normal timescales.

The questions the fraud team ask are there to find out what happened, declines are not easy to do as an agent has to justify them. that decision is made based on the answers you give them as well as what can be seen on the systems. so if you said for example, you always had the card and never told the pin to anyone, never wrote it down etc etc then based on that, it cant be anyone else but you. So unless you change your answer there is no point of an immediate appeal.

different departments require different levels of security to go through. raising a fraud claim requires less questions than removing a block or asking for a new card for example.

fraud claims on chip and pin transactions will always result in more detailed questions about the circumstances than pin bypass or online transactions for example.

it is the FRAUD department you are calling not a chum, so the questions asked can be very direct. the number of people that remember it was them or realise it was a friend or family member is unfortunately pretty high.

For a declined claim, the card is not automatically cancelled unless specifically requested by the card holder and yes, if its possible that the address is unsecure then why would the bank send another card and pin?

By the way, FOS are not on the customers side, they are independent.
    2023 wins - zilch, nada, big fat duck. quack quack,
  • Sounds a real mess.

Before any “proper” fraud investigation takes place the card should have been cancelled so I disagree with the previous comment. It sounds as though there was some form of investigation as opppsed to someone in a call centre just saying “nah that’s not fraud”.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Twice had issues with my Halifax CC, both times they contacted me before I even noticed with a call the first time and a text alert querying the transaction the second (these were maybe 10 years apart). Both times the fraudulent use was refunded within a few days and the card would never have been taken from my possession so must have been some sort of clone issue
  • LCM
    bluffer wrote: »
    The questions the fraud team ask are there to find out what happened, declines are not easy to do as an agent has to justify them. that decision is made based on the answers you give them as well as what can be seen on the systems. so if you said for example, you always had the card and never told the pin to anyone, never wrote it down etc etc then based on that, it cant be anyone else but you. So unless you change your answer there is no point of an immediate appeal.

I've told them the truth about what happened as i'm truly innocent and I'm not going to change my answer and lie for an immediate appeal!! I honestly have not told anyone about the PIN and the card has never left my possession. The fraudster has requested a new PIN and card all together, so wouldn't the new card also has a different CCV code and magnetic stripe differentiation to my original card? Wouldn't they flag up, "Wait a minute, so we have 2 working cards. Then some very unusual cash out patterns." Isn't this security negligence on their part? They've flagged up my $10 CDN transaction when i was in Canada on the last day of holiday but not this? There was a distinctive unusual pattern of these transactions, maxing daily cash limit, not my usual spending habit.

According to my rights, it's up to Halifax to proof that I HAVE been negligent and fraudulent. What's their proof?

I have an unique accent and they record all calls, can't they compare the calls as a start?

I was nowhere near the locations where these unauthorised transactions took place and I have proof of my whereabouts when these dodgy transactions happened. Besides, I've never been to where these transactions took place in my life.

They have done ZERO investigation before making the decision and was refused to open the case again until the police can confirm with their Police Liaisons team that there's 3rd party involved. I know there are CCTV proofs besides the proof of my whereabouts my only worry is that the MET police wouldn't care to investigate. Only the police can access these CCTV. They have not ring me back within 24 hours as they said they would.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    @LCM - Do you know if a pin reminder was sent out? Did you have your pin number set as a birthday? (Do not confirm this on the forum, just food for thought).

Have you made the complaint yet?
  • garth549
    garth549 Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 December 2018 at 2:55PM
    IMO you'll almost certainly win this when escalated to the FOS (based on what you've said). It may take a while though unfortunately. Make sure your complaint is clear and points out all the relevant facts.

Regarding credit cards, even if you had been negligent with your PIN or card I believe you can only be held liable for £50 of losses (under most circumstances anyway).

If successful you'll get a full refund including any interest paid. Make sure you keep paying the minimum payments in the mean time though.
  • LCM
    Loobiec wrote: »
    @LCM - Do you know if a pin reminder was sent out? Did you have your pin number set as a birthday? (Do not confirm this on the forum, just food for thought).

Have you made the complaint yet?

I went into the branch today, apparently the fraudster has requested a new PIN and card all together. I will never set my pin as anyone's birthday, that would just be silly! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure