Is Isle of Man considered offshore?

I am a non-domicile resident and exempt from tax on foreign income as long as I do not bring them to the UK.

If I receive the money into a bank account in the Isle of Man, is it considered receiving at an offshore account or have I brought it to the UK and taxable?

I am a little bit confused as the Isle of Man is part of the UK, but in many cases, its banking system is considered offshore.

Comments

• qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    eloy7 wrote: »
    I am a non-domicile resident and exempt from tax on foreign income as long as I do not bring them to the UK.

If I receive the money into a bank account in the Isle of Man, is it considered receiving at an offshore account or have I brought it to the UK and taxable?

I am a little bit confused as the Isle of Man is part of the UK, but in many cases, its banking system is considered offshore.

It’s not part of the uk. It’s got its own government - there’s no honourable member for Douglas in Westminster.

Many British expats keep their money there.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    IOM isn't part of the UK, so for UK income tax purposes it is indeed regarded as offshore.
  • Cook_County
    Cook_County Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    But do bear in mind that banks and credit card and bank transfer agents (such as TranserWise) may clear the money through London; resulting in an unexpected remittance to the UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure