Santander Gold Debit Cards

Did anyone else get the letter saying the shiny gold party is over for Select customers and they will be replacing these with boring red cards upon expiry? I might need a good lawyer....

Comments

• ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Yes, letter arrived Friday.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    They are still promising an exclusive debit card on the website:

https://www.santander.co.uk/uk/select/products/select-current-account

Looking at my statements I have been cycling through at least £15k per quarter.

I'll be downgrading to 123 Lite in protest :-)
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Got mine today, won't make much difference though, only drawn more than £300-worth once and used it in Portugal a couple of times. I suspect I'd have been downgraded sometime anyway as I've moved my savings out some time ago.

ps - any deals on gold spray paint?
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I've never considered getting £750 out of an ATM & I don't use it abroad so no problems.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It may have some connection to them transferring away from visa debit to debit MasterCard.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 November 2018 at 9:59PM
    Alexland wrote: »
    Did anyone else get the letter saying the shiny gold party is over for Select customers and they will be replacing these with boring red cards upon expiry? I might need a good lawyer....
    Not just a change of card, but they say they'll move me to the Select Current Account with a £5/month fee and a minimum pay in of £5,000/month*

I've already downgraded to 123 lite - and I don't care what colour the card is. I rarely use it.

* Edit to add that £5,000/month is required to open a Select account; it's still only £500/month to qualify for the benefits.
  • JGUK
    JGUK Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    As stated before the select current account has automated checks for the 5k pay in otherwise they email you to give you a warning then another email to discuss options I think.

What does this letter say? I moved to the Select Account and got the new Select Visa Debit card (in black) but to be honest there's little point to the account for me (no real benefits) and moving the 5k requirement every month is a hassle for no real purpose. Wish I hadn't moved but now I guess they're forcing everyone's hand!

So are they keeping you as Select and changing the account type or does it go into anymore detail?
    Thanks
    JG
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    JGUK wrote: »
    As stated before the select current account has automated checks for the 5k pay in otherwise they email you to give you a warning then another email to discuss options I think.

What does this letter say? I moved to the Select Account and got the new Select Visa Debit card (in black) but to be honest there's little point to the account for me (no real benefits) and moving the 5k requirement every month is a hassle for no real purpose. Wish I hadn't moved but now I guess they're forcing everyone's hand!

So are they keeping you as Select and changing the account type or does it go into anymore detail?
    I don't pay in £5k but there are other criteria I meet. I have a black credit card but a gold debit card, soon to be red.
    My letter says that I will remain a Select customer (whoopee) the only change is reduction in the cash withdrawal limit & loss of fee free ATM use abroad, except Spain. Neither of which affect me so I'm not bothered. Someone above says it may be because they are changing from Visa to Mastercard which is fine by me, I have a few of each.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When I moved to Select they didn't send me a new card, just got the Select banner online, only real difference was a change of phone number for c/s. Upgrade to gold was a new (shiny... precious...) card, upped ATM withdrawals from £300 to £500 and gave fee-free withdrawals in a few other counties - Portugal. Germany, Brazil and possibly others.

Letter doesn't say anything about Select, but as Gold/Select is dropping back to (old?) Select (red card), I suspect you'll keep the 'posh' phone number and 'relationship manager', but your card may change colour (ps any deals on black spray paint...)
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 November 2018 at 12:11AM
    Alexland wrote: »

I got one today saying my 123 Select Account with the Gold Debit card would be moving to their replacement Santander Select Current Account which comes with their black debit card (not red), a higher ATM limit and a £500 interest free overdraft.

I called today and downgraded to their Lite account - which I had been meaning to do for a while - like Votigern I don't care about the color of the card

Paying the full £5 for either the standard 123 account or the Select version now just isn't worth it imho..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure