Kensington Mortgage Company-unfair charges £100,000,unfair evictions,ignoring FCA & FOS Rules

Comments

• obay
    obay Posts: 570 Forumite
    I'm hoping my mortgage move on the 13th will go better, although they haven't been a bad lender to us (never paid late, never been in arrears in the two years we've been with them) I've also paid over £14000 over on my total amount.
    [STRIKE]1/12/16 - £152,599.00 [/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]11/11/17 - £145,990.00 [/STRIKE] <> Overpaid £3916.
    11/11/18 - £142,074.00
    Barclays Car (5.99%)£0/£8,832.37
  • All this is quite hard to follow but bear with me....

"My ex forged my signature on a Deed of Consent and that of a non English speaking au pair, as the witness, while family proceedings were going on and the property was transferred into my name. The mortgage was in his name, but I had to pay it."

This happened back in 2014 but your posts I think say that you paid the mortgage for some time after this until the dispute over the charges.

So presumably the OP knew the mortgage was transferred into her name and was happy with the situation as this was the desired outcome i.e she gets the house and separation of finances from the Ex.

So this might explain why the police have not taken any further action - its a complex case for them to get their heads round, and to them it did not look like there was a victim.

And in all the shenanigans and work around the investigations and the OPs (unwise) decision to stop paying, the back-street financiers that are Kensington went out of their way to add on every conceivable charge that they could possibly attempt to justify. It only take a bit of work with lawyers at £500 per hour + VAT to rack up big bills as I well know myself.

So where are we now? Will the sale of the house clear the mortgage AND all the charges?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    obay wrote: »
    I'm hoping my mortgage move on the 13th will go better, although they haven't been a bad lender to us (never paid late, never been in arrears in the two years we've been with them) I've also paid over £14000 over on my total amount.

Interest by any chance.
  • obay
    obay Posts: 570 Forumite
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Interest by any chance.

Kensington 2 year fixed is 4.84% I’m about to default down up to 5.24%. They offered me 3.24% to stay with them.

I moved banks and paying 2.2%
    [STRIKE]1/12/16 - £152,599.00 [/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]11/11/17 - £145,990.00 [/STRIKE] <> Overpaid £3916.
    11/11/18 - £142,074.00
    Barclays Car (5.99%)£0/£8,832.37
  • Janin
    Janin Posts: 33 Forumite
    Hi,
    I did go the Police in 2013. Kensington Mortgage Company would not comply with the Police Investigation. The Police had to take them to Court on 12 November 2013 to obtain a Production Order.
    The Police won and got the Production Order, however, I lost out because on 18 November 2013 Kensington charged the mortgage account with Solicitors Costs of £17,612.98. Then, despite having to comply within 28 days of the Production Order, the Police were still trying to get information from Kensington 6 months later. There were further charges to the account for Solicitors Costs in March and June 2014.
    Then on 11 November 2014, the Police confirm they found the purported witness and she confirmed she had not signed the Deed of Consent.
    I thought that would be it, but Kensington Mortgage Company told the Police, they are the only party that can claim to be a victim of fraud, however, they stated they did not consider themselves a victim, because I was paying them!
    I contacted the Solicitors Regulation Authority about the negligence of the Conveyancing Solicitors - Chaimberlain Thomas Solicitors who trade under the name Countrywide Conveyancing Direct Solicitors. The Solicitors Regulation Authority also stated that any claim against the Conveyaning Solicitor or the Conveyancing Solicitors Professional Indemnity Insurers, must be initiated by Kensington.
    I complained about Kensington charging me for complying with a Police Investigation. I got a response on Friday stating:

“You have suggested that mortgage statements were not provided to you in order to enable Kensington to hide the addition of charges to the mortgage account related to co-operation with the police investigation. Your allegations in this regard are incorrect. Kensington has not added any charges to the mortgage account that related to costs incurred whilst cooperating with the Sussex Police and their investigation. As a responsible mortgage lender we always cooperate with the police and other law enforcement bodies and our efforts in doing so are at our own cost.”

Despite the dates being so obvious that Kensington were charging for “complying” with a Police Investigation, Kensington are denying these charges were fraudulently and unfairly added to the account.

They have denied me access to my belongings, because my children who were scared that 20 men arrived and were threatening to kick the door down to evict them - bolted it. They are also now claiming the only way I can enter the property again is if I pay £511,000 of which £391,000 is owed including arrears and £120,000 is charges.

My point was I can pay a mortgage, but can’t and won’t pay charges that were so bad I only knew about it when a disgruntled/ whistleblower ex employee called me to say I was being ripped off. He quit because when he queried my concerns with his manager he was told “we can charge her what we want and she will be paying the mortgage, her children, grand children and great grandchildren will still be paying and it will never be paid off”. The manager was apparently laughing and the employee was really disgusted.

I have contacted CEO of Northview Group, who own Kensington, Mark Arnold
    and I have been advised to contact North Yorkshire Police because charges like this are fraud. I also hope the FCA fine them and they are forced to refund and compensate anyone they ripped off.

Considering Kensington consider themselves as a “responsible lender” they have stated: “If you do not refer your complaint in time, the Ombudsman will not have our permission to consider your complaint and so will only be able to do so in very limited circumstances.”

I think unless they are stopped bullying by police, the FCA or the media - they will never stop.
  • Janin
    Kensington used expensive lawyers - clearly! They also mislead the Courts and Judges tend to listen to Barristers, rather than bullies, worn down, emotional members of the public.

They say things in Court that are not true and not correct.

It is so one sided.
  • Janin
    There interest rates are a rip off, but once they add £120,000 of unknown, unfair, excessive and possibly illegal charges to the account, it is harder to move anywhere.
  • Janin
    I don’t think it will if Kensington sell it. If I sell it, it will as the land can be sold for development and the house remain etc.

Fees and charges now stand at over £120,000. It is really upsetting that had I not received a call from a Kensington employee telling me I was being ripped off and Kensington refused to provide a statement to confirm or deny what he said for years after, eventually my family who were helping pay £1405/month said enough is enough.
    In one day they added to the account more than I pay in a year. The interest increases, everything increases and I am a normal human being. I will pay a mortgage, but to a lender who refuses to confirm the interest rate, how long left, and gets angry that I am concerned my signature was forged on legal documents and I am left to pay any amount, plus Monopoly money charges is not feasible for anyone, especially a lone parent.
  • Janin
    I agree sub prime lenders are evil. If loan sharks are illegal lenders like Kensington Mortgage Company should be.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure