Has anyone had a PIP paper based assessment?

I suffer from PTSD, anxiety, agoraphobia, severe social phobia and depression. Physically I have health issues too, CFS and an underactive thyroid. All of this together has led to me being housebound and unable to function most days. I am a 38 year old female, lonely and struggling. I have a wonderful husband and 3 amazing children so I am blessed but I am wracked with guilt for the way I am. I was attacked by my brother 5 years ago, i refused to accept him back in my life as it had been years of abuse from him, so my mother and sisters cut me out of the family. It led to all the above mental health issues.

I decided to apply for PIP this summer as I desperately need some therapy and support. The NHS can't help, the wait for CBT is 18 months here and they refuse to come to your home so that makes that option difficult for me. I'd never applied for PIP before as I was thinking there was no point but a friend told me I should as he felt I would be eligible. I had my claim with the DWP sent to Capita who sent me a appointment date for a home assessment. I rung them upset saying there was no way I could do that as I struggle terribly with anyone in my home (I understand I sound stupid and childish and it's hard for me to admit). They said that was ok and I just needed to get a GP letter to back up my issues and request a paper base assessment. What they failed to tell me was that they send out a second appointment and if you cancel that your claim is closed and sent to the DWP. It's taken me 4 weeks to get the DWP to agree to send it back to Capita, but it's on it's way to them and they said next week it should be back on their system.

Has anyone had a paper based assessment and been successful? I am so frightened I will be refused if I can't do the proper assessment but I really just could not do it and my GP backed up it would be too traumatising for me and cause me to panic and trigger a CFS crash.

Thank you.

Lib

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It's very rare to have a paper based decision. This would only happen if the evidence you sent in was enough to prove those descriptors apply to you. The chances of you having this paper based decision is slim. If you refuse the assessment then you could be refused PIP too. I would advice you to have the assessment and have someone at home with you while it takes place.
  • Stoodles
    Stoodles Posts: 815 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I had a paper based assessment, and was successful. However, it only happened because I had an advocate who put in a formal complaint about delay, and in the course of that pointed out that we had submitted extensive evidence from three sources that confirmed how I met each of the descriptors. For example, a clinician had written that I had been advised not to leave the house alone, or to attempt to cook unsupervised.

I think it was the strength of the medical evidence that got me the award, not what I wrote on the application.
  • I have but I didn't ask for it, just sent my form off and they wrote back with a decision as they had enough information. I did have a lot of "proof" and reports that I sent with it and I'd been in hospital over 2 years at this point so it was probably a seemingly more evident situation then it is for a lot of people.
  • Hi can I ask what your dissabilites are please or have you got any mental health problems.
  • Hi have you got any mental health problems ? The reason I ask is I'm confused who gets paper based decisions.
  • poppy12345
    Della1011 wrote: »
    Hi have you got any mental health problems ? The reason I ask is I'm confused who gets paper based decisions.
    It doesn't matter what the other person has, PIP isn't award based on a diagnosis, it's how your conditions affect you daily. Paper based decisions are very rare. If a person sends in enough of evidence to prove those descriptors apply then maybe they'll be lucky. Most people have an assessment.
  • Hi my mum's had o.c.d since she was 17 depression got bad there onwards ..her obsession rituals is praying to God that her and her family are safe and well based on having 3 children her rituals has to be said 3 times ..its really hard to explain ...her biggest fear was her children dying ...but in 2010 we had the biggest devasting news that my mum's son at the age of 22 took his own life showing no mental signs at all ..then 18 weeks later her youngest son died in a car crash aged 20 my mum then started to blame the devil obsessions started to get extremely worse up to 100 times a day praying that I will be safe she doesn't go out anywhere hides in darkness fears the devil she has asthma and osteoarthritis she doesn't no dangers because her mental state is just praying to God and rebuking the devil...this will be a transfer from DLA to PIP with a supporting doctors letter ...im just hoping that she gets a paper based decision or a home assessment.
  • poppy12345
    edited 11 November 2017 at 5:20PM
    Della1011 wrote: »
    Hi my mum's had o.c.d since she was 17 depression got bad there onwards ..her obsession rituals is praying to God that her and her family are safe and well based on having 3 children her rituals has to be said 3 times ..its really hard to explain ...her biggest fear was her children dying ...but in 2010 we had the biggest devasting news that my mum's son at the age of 22 took his own life showing no mental signs at all ..then 18 weeks later her youngest son died in a car crash aged 20 my mum then started to blame the devil obsessions started to get extremely worse up to 100 times a day praying that I will be safe she doesn't go out anywhere hides in darkness fears the devil she has asthma and osteoarthritis she doesn't no dangers because her mental state is just praying to God and rebuking the devil...this will be a transfer from DLA to PIP with a supporting doctors letter ...im just hoping that she gets a paper based decision or a home assessment.
    Was a home assessment requested on the form? A letter from her GP stating the reasons why will most likely be needed for this. Sometimes they'll agree to a home assessment with good supporting evidence. Good luck to your mum.
  • No I didn't know she could have a hone visit till now
  • Libbyd
    Libbyd Posts: 48 Forumite
    Thank you all for your replies.

My GP sent a letter about my conditions and why a face to face assessment would be detrimental to my conditions and how it would effect me, which was pretty good. I also on my application explained to the extent all of my conditions have on my daily living.

I need assistance showering and this I can't do daily, my daughter washes my hair every evening if I can. I haven't left the house in weeks but when I do I can only manage a short drive, I haven't been out, out in a long time. I can't cook for my family so my husband as to prepare all the meals and store them in the fridge for the next few days. He also does all the washing, cleaning, taking children to their appointments etc... This is how bad things get when I crash. It's soul destroying.

I am worried sick I won't be successful but my GP says she can't see why I wouldn't be as I really do fit all the criteria. The PTSD and anxiety is very limiting on my life, the health issues on top just make everything 10 times worse.

If they need more evidence to do the paper based assessment will they contact me, not just strike my claim off as a no without asking? My GP in her letter did offer futher information if they needed to contact her.

Capita have my claim back from the DWP. Does anyone know how long it's likely to take if they do agree to do paper based? It was Capita who suggested I requested paper based when I spoke to them. I know people have said once Capita had their case, did an assessment they had a decision within a few weeks. I applied early July.

Thank you again for replying to me.

Lib
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family