sorry another nhs pension question

Options
Hi, not sure if anyone can help as the two different hmrc people I've spoken with have confused me furthrr

I am currently £392 into higher rate tax (salary 46742, so paying £153 @ higher rate), but because drs have to move round the country annually I have not been able to buy a house and subsequently have quite a bit of money in savings accounts

I was trying to get out of higher rate tax in order to have keep higher tax-free savings allowance, £1000 instead of £500 as I currently make about £1100/year in interest so is the difference between 0.2*100 vs 0.4*600 so £20 tax or £240).... and since I am only just into higher rate tax it is actually financially disadvantaging myself my being on a higher rate

I was planning on buying £1370 AVC which gets you £250/year extra pension. However, when talking to hmrc earlier, it seems you only get the 20% additional tax relief (from pension over paying), on the £153 higher rate tax I am paying, and not 20% of the £1370 I have put into the pension

Is this correct, as by that logic even if I buy more than one block of these £1370 chunks I am only going to get the £30.60 tax relief, by his theory.

Is this correct (and just because you can't actually salary sacrifice in the NHS)? If so is there any other way of just binning the extra £392 salary to get out of higher rate tax, as it is causing me to pay an extra £153 in direct income tax and also £240 on my savings so I will be £1 worse off than not having that bit of my salary in the first place?

Thanks so much

Sarah

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Key Features of the NHS Additional Voluntary Contributions
    (AVC) Scheme for England & Wales

The Prudential AVC? Paid from your salary before tax?

AVC payments are deducted from your
    salary before tax and passed to Prudential
    for investment. This means if you normally
    pay tax you’ll qualify for immediate tax relief
    on your payments.
    If you make a lump sum payment by
    cheque you will need to reclaim any tax
    relief you are due by contacting HMRC.
    We’ve based this information on our
    understanding of current law and HM
    Revenue and Customs practice. Your
    individual circumstances and future changes
    in law and tax practice could affect the
    amount you pay. For more information
    please visit https://www.pru.co.uk/tax or visit the
    HMRC website at https://www.hmrc.gov.uk
    If you need further advice on tax you may
    wish to speak to a financial adviser.
  • sazdes
    sazdes Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    its not via the prudential/standard life options private pensions.... its additional nhs pension ie £1370 buys you £250/year pension when you retire
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure