Issue with my Thermaflow boiler.

Hi all,

Wondering if there is any Thermaflow experts on here who can help with a problem I am having with my heating in my home?

We inherited a Thermaflow boiler from the person who previously owned the house, apart from the expansion tank going flat it has been running fine for both of us, enough hot waters for showers, heating etc.

We had this problem however ever since our Meter was switched over due to it being faulty and the unit numbers not going up. Our boiler sits at 1.5 psi which is fine, we turn on the heating, it turns on and is circulated to all heaters with a nice heat, but this only lasts for around 30-40 minutes, then it goes cold(thermostat downstairs still saying heating should be one with Sunshine symbol), boiler then hits around the 1.1/1.2 psi mark. We then go for showers, one of us will barely get a warm shower before the water goes cold...

Get to around 22:30 and rate 2 kicks in, heats up boiler during the night, back to 1.5 rinse and repeat.

We are on Standard Tariff on Scottish Power with a 2 rate meter and have been since we moved in, This has never been an issue in the past so I don't know why it is being one now. I have read over countless articles regarding the Thermaflow boilers and how they are on Economy tariffs where they heat up in 2/3 segments throughout the day and night. Is this all that is causing this problem? If so then why hasn't it flagged up before now?

The boiler itself when the heating turns on is pretty lifeless. You can hear the motor go obviously to circulate the water, but I thought maybe it would turn on in someway to maybe keep a heat and pressure up in the boiler? I remember hearing other things going on in the early evening whenever the heating was on, but Boiler seems pretty lifeless now. Has something blown?

I have had the boiler checked over by a friend, all the heating elements are fine and we couldn't see any issues. The boiler does not depressurise at all, it'll drop to 1.1ish if we use hot water or heating, top itself back up again during the night. As far I know the meter has been changed correctly, it does get power when rate 2 kicks in, but i'm not sure if it should kick at other times of the day as well, but then this would usually be done if I was on a different tariff eg the Economy tariffs

We have setup the times on the thermostat downstairs, but these only really dictate when the heating comes on and off, it doesn't tell the boiler to do anything else.

I am at a loss with this and with Winter coming in i really need it sorted. Does anyone have any extensive knowledge of Thermaflow boilers and heard of this issue before? Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks for your time.

Jamie

Comments

• gas123
    gas123 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Did you ever get your boiler sorted or did anyone reply albeit private message. I also have a TH12/250u, but I am on Economy 10 even though I use a E7 meter- Inherited from using night storage.
    From experience of using mine E10 is fine ie 3hrs Afternoon, 2hrs Eve 5 Hrs night. If I had 7hrs at night only, the tank would get cold say after 2-3 or 4 hrs for heating and say using using shower.Therefore you need it to kick in at the other cheap rate times. I have had mine over 10yrs and touch wood the heating elements (4 x 3w) have not packed up. I assume your friend checked the resistance to confirm emersion heaters are working OK.
    I am hoping replying to this thread would show interest to a thermaflow plumber as I would like to know if I need to manually pressurise the 1ltr expansion tank ( got to replace because of leak) or will the boiler system automatically pressurise this tank. Other threads have shown friendly plumbers are willing to help.
  • Did either of you manage to find any help with your Thermaflow boiler problems? We are in the north-west of England and are really struggling to find anyone who knows what to do with this boiler.

We have the TH12/250U model and have spent the last few weeks with no heating and very little lukewarm water, no hot water. We have had similar problems for the past few winters since inheriting this boiler, it seems that it is incapable of running central heating and hot water at the same time. During the summer when we aren't using the heating, the hot water is fine.

Thanks!
  • Hi,
    I have same boiler and had issue with it, insufficient heating/water.
    I just fixed it myself - for me it was an issue with pressure. The black needle, and red needle should be in same position 1.5 bars. If not then increase until black has raised sufficiently.  
    Find taps on hose below pressure gauge, turn on bottom tap, then top tap. Wait for black needle to rise - mine only took 30 seconds, then turn off top tap then bottom tap.
    Debbie

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure