Cut my water bill by almost half

2»

Comments

• falcieri
    falcieri Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    D_M_E wrote: »
    When you flush the toilet, as soon as the water starts going down the tap opens and starts to refill the cistern while the water is still going down the drain.

How much extra is used is determined by the mains pressure feeding the inlet tap.

Try turning down your stoptap - most of them are located under the sink - so that the flow is reduced a bit to your taps.

This will reduce the volume of water wasted when the cistern starts filling when you hit the flush - less pressure means less water going in the cistern before the syphon reseats itself after the flush, thus saving a bit on every flush.

Don't turn it down so low that the washing machine does not wait forever for water.

Also has the advantage of less water used in showers - a reduced flow rate may be noticed but most likely will not be.

That's a clever idea. I never thought of that. How much of a turn should I turn it off? I do have one of those water savers in my cistern so it isn't giving out a full flush every time in any case.
  • falcieri
    McKneff wrote: »
    How can you say £x per year if you have only been there 6 months.

do you pay by DD, if so, you cannot know how much it is per year till a year is up.
    Only then can you take readings and divide it by 12.
    More water is used at certain times of the year, like electricity and gas.

I pay with DD and they read the metre every six months. They've reduced my DD to adjust for the low usage. Unless their prices change radically there is no reason why my next six months usage should be any more expensive to the last. Why would my usage change through the year just because the weather changes?
  • falcieri
    Is the £302 an initial guestimate from your supplier and the £197 based on your first six months usage?

It is yes. I am using an average of 50 litres per day according to their read.
  • falcieri
    ricky_v wrote: »
    With United Ultilities. I pay around £215/yr consistently for the past 3 years or so. I shower once every 2-3 days (no baths), wash up every 2-3 days, clothes wash about once a week, sometimes 2 loads.

Out of the total bill, about £40-£50/yr is based on actual usage and sewage, the rest comes from standing charge and highway drainage so assuming no discounts, I doubt anyone can get much lower than £200/yr, unless they smell:rotfl:

Mine is based on one lot of washing up per day. Average one washing machine load per week on a 30 minute cycle, one shower 2 or 3 days, flush toilet twice a day. I have based the final year on how much I've paid in the first 6 months and doubled it which I guess is a kind of average. I've added all my payments up to next year (my end of year) and it does come out more than what I've quoted above but that's only based on their bills and not on my usage. Plus I'm going to be away quite a lot of December and at other points regularly throughout the year so I'm hoping it'll balance itself out. I guess I'll find out at my year end. :)
  • falcieri
    There's a lot of things I'd rather cut down on than washing and clothes washing. Don't go too far for a few ££ and change things you don't really want to.

I am dead happy when I save a few ££ - so I can spend it on something I want to. Washing is a pleasure I'm prepared to pay for.

I'm not hard wearing on clothes. I work from home so nothing gets too much wear and tear. Saving £150 a year plus with all the other bills I am scrimping on adds up quite a lot so I don't mind doing it. I've had to change everything to keep the bills paid. You get used to going without and once I've rationalised what it is I really need it's not so bad. I'm not materialistic so I don't want for much as a rule. Besides, it was that or be stuck in houseshares for the rest of my life and I just can't do that anymore.
  • I save money on my water bill and have done for the last 5 years by:

Setting a 90-second timer when I shower. More than enough for me now.
    I wash my hair with dry shampoo, and only in the shower once a week. Your hair naturally cleans itself if you let it.
    I have a jug of water for when I clean my teeth instead of running the tap, the jug normally lasts me a week or two. This is something you have to do when abroad anyway.
    Only wash my clothes when I have a full load. I don't buy clothes for the sake of it anymore and only buy ones I know I will like for years to come. This also helps cut clothes shopping expenses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure