Is visa breaking the law?

Recently had an issue with my Halifax visa debit card. What I thought was a one off payment was being taken out monthly. I asked my branch to stop the payment and was told that has I had just received a new card it would automatically be stopped. Alas that didn't work and deductions continued. I asked why and was told visa had given my new card details to the company taking my money.
My thoughts are why have my details been retained. Why have visa passed on my new details without my consent and should it have been made more clear that multiple payments were allowed on a debit card.
I have been told I can apply for a refund but the process would be like negotiating Brexit.
Any insight please

Comments

• CPAs always continue across replacement cards. They're not breaking the law.

However, they were wrong to tell you that payments would not continue.

Cancel the payment with either the company or the bank, but remember that that doesn't cancel any contract.
  • Jedi_dave wrote: »
    What I thought was a one off payment was being taken out monthly.
    Is this a Direct Debit or a Continuous Payment Authority?
    What payments are being taken monthly?
    You can certainly cancel either of these with the Bank, but that won't stop the company you agreed to pay from chasing you for what you'll then owe.

Did you perhaps cancel the original card in the hope that this would end the DD/CPA?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    CPA can be cancelled by the bank but it doesn't stop a contract being enforced if you agreed to pay the firm. Tell the firm you wish to cancel it and follow up with the bank if they refuse/don't respond.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure