New Guide Discussion: Everyone needs ESTA for US travel

Comments

• When you apply for an ESTA can you specify when you would like the 2 year period to start?

Basically, my parents are due to fly in mid-December. So I would like the 2 year period to start from just before their trip.

I've searched around for this and seen conflicting answers.

If you can't specify, then I guess it would make sense for me to apply just a week before their trip
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    It starts from the date it's approved and is valid for two years from that date, unless the passport expires earlier.

You can leave it until a week before, I've done it a few days before (was arranging a trip at short notice) and all was fine, as it will be for most people BUT if there's a problem it doesn't give them any time to get it sorted!

For the small amount it costs, for the sake of 2-3 weeks it's not worth it IMO - just apply now, then they can relax knowing it's all sorted
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • rjd185
    rjd185 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Just reiterating that still, the top Google search results may not be the official ESTA page. I'm normally pretty sharp with this but I still managed to click through to a fake ESTA page. My search threw back as the top result, highlighted/boxed as the main Google result, flagged green by the virus checker, as some ESTA scamming group. Their site is very professional and contains plenty of relevant information except the bit that says the application will cost $95 right on the payment page, and some small text in the footers saying 'not affiliated with any government group'.
    There were about five sites showing up that are not the US government site, and really, for most travelers, the only safe way to avoid paying over the odds, is to know that the only price to pay is the low, official government fee. Quite honestly, anyone who isn't a regular traveler is going to be at some risk of hitting one of the 'fake' sites.
    So know the price, don't trust search results from any search engines, then follow the links in the MSE blog to esta.cbp.dhs.gov, or make sure the only sites used are ending in '.dhs.gov'.
  • Hey guys,

I wanted to ask if anybody has had any experience of their ESTA being Denied at a later date after it was initially approved?

On the 29th November 2018 I was due to fly to New York for a wonderful winter trip with my wife, I had my ESTA approved on the 6th November so we continued to make more plans for our trip whilst out there.

However, at 4pm on November 28th (literally 16 hours before my flight) I received an email advising my ESTA status had changed, and to my horror I logged in to see that my ESTA authorisation was now showing as Denied!

I have travelled to the USA numerous times before and even as recently as last year in May, the only difference this time is I had to get a new ESTA due to having a new Passport.

All the info I provided was correct as I always triple check them when submitting, how can they approve it on the 6th November then deny it on the 28th November??

The distress this has caused myself and my wife is unexplainable, we had our hearts set on this trip and had it all planned in our heads only for it to be taken from us at the last minute.

The worst thing is, nobody will tell us why it was denied, when I called the ESTA office they confirmed it had been denied but would not disclose why, I just keep getting the same responses advising to get a VISA i now need to go to the US embassy in London, but their Visa appointments can take days and also days to approve, not really helpful when I was due to fly less than 24 hours away.

Can anybody help? We lost over £2,500.00 in trip expenses and none was refundable due to the hotel and flights being within 24 hours :(

One final thing to note... on the ESTA CBP website in the terms it clearly states... "Once you are approved, it's good for two years or until your passport expired, whichever comes first, and you do not have to apply again during that period unless one of the above mentioned things changes", this clearly isn't the case is it!
  • Essex_Jim
    Essex_Jim Posts: 204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 16 January 2019 at 5:29PM
    I am travelling to through USA to Mexico with work. I completed the online application with the US Government website ($14 Cost). Put in credit card number and submitted and page just hung. I suspect I have not completed the application as I received no email confirmation either five hours later. Don't think I can go back to check an application as I got no application number. If I start a fresh application would this be considered as applying for two Visas under the same name?
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Essex Jim, you can go back into the official web site and check validity of a current esta. That may indicate if your application went through.
  • Thanks Stevie11. Looked again and found how to check without the application number. The Application has been processed.
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Essex_Jim wrote: »
    Thanks Stevie11. Looked again and found how to check without the application number. The Application has been processed.

Nice one, have a safe trip.
  • AndBri
    AndBri Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi we will be travelling by car from my sons in Ontario to New York State via the Niagara border crossing for a 2 day site seeing visit . Does anyone know if we will need an ETSA please ?
    ‘Tia Everyone
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    AndBri wrote: »
    Hi we will be travelling by car from my sons in Ontario to New York State via the Niagara border crossing for a 2 day site seeing visit . Does anyone know if we will need an ETSA please ?
    ‘Tia Everyone

You won't assuming you are a citizen of a VWP (Visa Waiver Program) country. See below:

I am a citizen of a VWP country and am visiting the U.S. from Canada or Mexico?
    If you are a citizen of a country that participates in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), and you enter the U.S. by land from Mexico or Canada, ESTA is not required. If you do not have ESTA, you will be required to complete the paper I-94W form and proceed through a manual entry process at the land border crossing. If you have an approved ESTA when entering the U.S. at a land border crossing, you will not be required to complete the paper I-94W form and your entry process is expedited. However, if issued, you should return your green I-94W card upon departure from the U.S. If you are arriving by air or sea, you do need to apply for ESTA.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/application.html?execution=e1s1

I crossed from Canada to the US at Niagara in May 17 and didn't need the ESTA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure