What's going on with console prices?

I'd been keeping tabs on PS4 prices for a bit and priced mine accordingly. I've listed a couple times now and a bit of interest but nothing happening.

Just taken a look at the Xbox One S and also the PS4 and the prices have plummeted. I don't mean a little bit off i mean they've dropped considerably. I'd been keeping tabs for months and there'd been no change but all of a sudden they've just dropped.

Something going on in the world of consoles?

Comments

• cjv
    cjv Posts: 513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    Anything to do with Black Friday? people may be opting to buy new consoles on sale for christmas, rather than save a few quid getting them second hand without warranties etc.
  • black friday deals going on - would cause the plummit in prices...

but yes, without these deals, still around 10% cheaper than last year Christmas
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Cyber Monday today!
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'd been keeping tabs on PS4 prices for a bit and priced mine accordingly. I've listed a couple times now and a bit of interest but nothing happening.

Just taken a look at the Xbox One S and also the PS4 and the prices have plummeted. I don't mean a little bit off i mean they've dropped considerably. I'd been keeping tabs for months and there'd been no change but all of a sudden they've just dropped.

Something going on in the world of consoles?

SONY and Microsoft fighting for market share, both consoles will have longsince recovered their development costs, they'll have economies of scale with the building of them, so prices will always go down.

I'd say prices were relatively static for a few months there in anticipation of a big perceived drop for Black Friday deals.

In terms of used prices, people expect you to give it to them free and then deliver it to them, oh and they expect it to have a lifetime warranty too.
  • I wouldn't have thought it'd be down to Black Friday as the sales are usually poor in my view. I guess not (as far as consoles are concerned). Looks like i'll have to reprice my PS4.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I wouldn't have thought it'd be down to Black Friday as the sales are usually poor in my view.
    Console bundles are the one thing you can usually be certain of being reduced around the time of Black Friday sales.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    mac.d wrote: »
    Console bundles are the one thing you can usually be certain of being reduced around the time of Black Friday sales.

Yup, they bundle them up and they fly off the shelves with a handful of games.

Makes selling a used console even harder.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure