We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Radio to use in greenhouse

Arthog
Arthog Posts: 223 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Do you have a radio to use in your greenhouse? The well-known wind-up/solar one I had has been a big disappointment - very crackly. There is no electricity supply.
Can anyone recommend a suitable one please?

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 8 December 2018 at 9:01PM
    Presumably FM. If the crackling is due to a poor signal area a new one might be no better. Try fixing a piece of wire to the aerial. When camping I connect a 6 foot single wire to the antenna with a crocodile clip and move it around for the best signal. Off the ground ideally by 6 feet and horizontal is recommended from memory.
    Certainly no expert but is it possible a metal frame of the greenhouse could affect the signal?

If you choose a new radio but only need FM avoid DAB radios as they drain batteries much quicker.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,934 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 December 2018 at 9:09PM
    Have a read of the reviews of the John Lewis & Partners Spectrum DAB/FM Portable Digital Shower Radio. My Mother had one of these to use on her allotment where there is no electricity. It is rechargeable, so she brings it home with her to charge it.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • If you have an android phone, many of these have an fm radio included. They use the earphone as an aerial. If the signal quality is ok, then you can send the audio to an external bluetooth speaker.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,453 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    This Roberts radio is an old classic
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 December 2018 at 9:54PM
    I got this one 3 years ago, Sainsburys RED DAB Radio NE-6205 just seen a listing on ebay for it. Dont think you can buy it new now. Never lets me down does dab and fm. I use Panasonic Eneloops 4xAA in it and keep a spare down there on lottie.Its in my shed and handles the cold as well as the heat we had this year 30+c in shed.

I also have a windup, solar powered one, but I suspect the solar panel is fake as it never seems to charge up, it also plays from microsd card mp3's which is useful, does charge up via windup
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure