Not being born a son.

Options

Comments

• Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you went as a kid, do you still like rugby? If so, why don't you ask to go?! I watch football and yes its mainly men there but who cares, I was first taken as a 7 year with my Dad and 2 brothers and I still go now! More and more now you see girls watching with Dads too, not just boys. If its something you like, it shouldn't be a "lads weekend" but just a weekend for all of you to enjoy it! If you don't like rugby now, why dont you ask your Dad if he wants to meet up one weekend and do something else with the two of you?
  • ~_Daisy_~
    Options
    Wow, so much advise, thank you all for posting.

To be truthful and being honest with myself..... I guess I'm jealous of the bond my brothers have with my Father, not so much of where they go or what they do there, of the bond, the shared interests they have has nurtured that bond beyond any I could have had.

My Mum and I are very close, We spend alot of time together, but not to the exclusion of the others. She is most definatley not a boring alternative as someone asked.

I will speak to my Dad, but it does seem like it will come across as stamping my feet abit, :o and I wouldnt want him to think that he has upset me just by doing the things he loves with others and not me.

It all sounds so very childish :o:o

Certainly given me food for thought.
  • Redlady.....
    Options
    That's very honest Daisy, and certainly understandable.

Best wishes in your bonding quest :)
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ~_Daisy_~ wrote: »
    At the moment my Dad and younger brother are in Ireland for the six nations, next weekend, my Dad and older brother will be at Twickerham, weekend after who knows.......

When they come back and talk about the match, why not just say that you'd like to join them on their next excursion?

No need to make it a big issue or get into deep discussions about feeling left out.

If they are horrified at the thought of you joining them, you might then have to explain to your Dad how you feel that he favours your brothers over you.
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    Not meaning for this to sound rude - but a lot of the time at sports events you see women who clearly do not wish to be there - mostly there with their boyfriends, absolutely bored to tears by the whole thing. Some of them like you suffering from fear-of-missing-out. (Maybe men too but more so women)

They probably haven’t invited you because they think you won’t like it, you will be cold, maybe hungry and you will moan.
    Maybe this isn’t you, but this is a lot of women. Unless you find the sport entertaining you will not enjoy the day and having somebody there not enjoying the day makes it less enjoyable for everyone else.

I'll never understand partners who do this. It's not just women.

My partner really couldn't give two hoots about rugby so I haven't bought him a ticket for the game I'm going to, he'll probably play some WoW with his mates while I'm there. Similarly, I can't be bothered with WoW, so I don't play it.

(He'll happily watch any sportsball with a big group of us in a warm dry pub where nobody's had to pay for a ticket though hahaha!)

Absolutely spot on though in that a member of a group who isn't having fun can bring down the mood of the whole group a bit. It's sort of...do what you enjoy?

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    If they are doing full weekends that is more than just a match, are they boozy weekends.

Would full family events work where the weekends are filled wit other things the games being sub event for those that want to go.
  • ~_Daisy_~
    Options
    If they are doing full weekends that is more than just a match, are they boozy weekends.

Would full family events work where the weekends are filled wit other things the games being sub event for those that want to go.

It is only full weekends when the game is further afield, travel time included in this.

Not sure Dad would ever agree the game is sub to anything! :D but a useful suggestion. Thank you.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You haven't said whether you follow rugby? Do you talk about it eith them?

I love it and follow the Welsh area sides, supporting Ospreys, but now warming to RGC (Rygbi Gogledd Cymru).

The Six Nations is a highlight if my year. Unfortunately, tickets are too expensive this year, although Wales v Scotland is my favourite. We've met the same Scottish club every year in Cardiff.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    ~_Daisy_~ wrote: »

I always do something with my Mum, today for example, I cooked dinner, whilst they were off on a jolly to Ireland, went friday, back monday.

As said its not about doing what I enjoy, its about being invited to do as they enjoy.

3 nights for a few hours of the game on Sat.

There is more going on most of Sat free and all of Sunday.

All could have gone they would be done by 8pm nice family dinner evening out.
  • ~_Daisy_~
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    You haven't said whether you follow rugby? Do you talk about it eith them?

I love it and follow the Welsh area sides, supporting Ospreys, but now warming to RGC (Rygbi Gogledd Cymru).

The Six Nations is a highlight if my year. Unfortunately, tickets are too expensive this year, although Wales v Scotland is my favourite. We've met the same Scottish club every year in Cardiff.

Yes I do, earliest memories are being at a local club,as a small child changing the scoreboard etc, getting more magic water for the medic.
    Cooking and serving after match food, and once over 18 I worked the bar, my whole family had roles to play.

I watch the 6 nations and the world cup and understand the rules too, we have 2 local clubs and I attend maybe 5 or 6 games a season, so not many but enough to keep my hand in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure