Get a grip woman!

Comments

• We are looking to replace DH's commuting car when he retires next summer. I am currently looking at an electric car with £0 Vehicle excise duty (road fund tax) and that I can charge from a few solar panels on my garage roof.

I do also want a couple of solar panels so I can heat the growing-tunnel I am planning to grow lots of my own (beyond our current allotment sized veg garden).

Currently very taken with the VW E-Up (except it sounds as though it is for Yorkshire people, with Yorkshire accents) but it is probably beyond my hoped-for budget. It is the balance between buying something that immediately loses 20% of its' value, and buying second-hand and having to allow for replacement batteries in the budget.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • This month's flat period has received a little boost! I forgot to add the amount left in the running costs account on pay-day to the salary and have been awaiting a plunge in total that is not going to happen. With just ten days until DH's pay-day I am tempted to pay the oil man early. Probably prudent to wait until pay-day in all honesty. DH's car VED just DD'd unexpectedly and there could be more to come...
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
  • Used a whole cabbage out of the fridge (it had been there all month (ahem)). Made two batches of soup. The slow-cooked one looks a bit brown (made with roasted veg and cabbage in the slow cooker overnight. Yesterday's lunch one was lovely and fresh-tasting.

We let the YS shelf (The "Poor Shelf" as a friend's Mum calls it!) drive this week's purchases. So YS fillet steak in a stir-fry with some reduced S-Fry veg last night and YS Cod-Loin with Prawns from the freezer to try the recipe Waitflower trailed on TV this week - I have prawns in the freezer.

I also picked up a pack of Lamb neck that I will stew with fridge veg and Pearl Barley for an evening slow-cooker short-cut, and some minced steak that Morries mince on the premises to use up the off-cuts from other cuts (I prefer this to the pre-packed 3 for £10 style packs).

Other than that we are just waiting for pay-day really. Roll on 26th which is DH's pay day. I only have 5 left. And fewer than 60 working days left. :eek:
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Those meals sound wonderful, and I like the Waitflower thing, thats very creative :)

Fewer than 60 working days :j:j:j
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Goodness your retirement date is creeping up. I can hardly believe I will have been retired a year in December. Time just flies past. Sounds like you have your menus planned well for next week. Our week is a bit haphazard next week due to visitors, eating out and celebrations for my DGD1s 3rd birthday tomorrow and DHs 60th in 10 days time.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Wow, so close to retirement day! That must feel like such a massive milestone.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 September 2018 at 11:08AM
    Massive Smassive milestone!!

In other news my weight-loss continues to hover around 6-7 pounds after 3.5 weeks of the 8-week regime. I am sure this is because I am eating more "free things" and because I did it before and my body simply processes things differently.

Yesterday I had emergency dental repairs (under £60) with a new titanium post fitted to the tooth next to my upper front tooth and this morning I woke up with the tip of the repair in my mouth (obviously I am grinding my teeth at the moment). My dentist is miles away and my agenda for today is extensive so out came the "Diamon-Deb" (metal nail file) and I have manually filed away the sharp edge that was lacerating my top lip and tongue tip (why are these things so irresistible to our tongues?) as a DIY interim solution. :o

Pay Day today (and breathe!!). I need to do the full update in due course but have paid for the oil 1000l = £530.25 - over £150 more than last time. I have also chased Plusnet (cockup in the systems put our annual line rental payment into the usage part, which meant we are showing a £166 credit and they are charging us the premium charge for line rental each month, and no bill :eek:).

Then there is Flow, who we left in May but only issued the final bill on 30th August (I knew I owed them money and nudged them twice). They took it by DD on 12th Sept and issued me a (probably 4 months overdue time-triggered) letter to say my account was overdue! At least they answer their phones and resolve things in the call-centre. Very excellent Customer Service, as always. Shame about the cost.

I've booked the Boiler Service too and the Chimney Sweep is coming this afternoon. Does anyone else have that "12,000 mile service" sensation in their home when it all needs doing!? - The Sweep has to do the chimney before we can have a fire - it is a condition of our House Insurance (being thatched). Obviously with a wood burner it is essential anyway!

Off to get a haircut now (at the Barber - £14.50!) before a quick clean and tidy ahead of a meeting here at 3pm.

Meal tonight will be leek and cauliflower au gratin and I will use last night's leftover Ragu to make a chili for tomorrow

I'll never be as organised as TOPM but this is my way of being accountable for today's list.
  • Karmacat
    In other news my weight-loss continues to hover around 6-7 pounds after 3.5 weeks of the 8-week regime. I am sure this is because I am eating more "free things" and because I did it before and my body simply processes things differently.
    Holding the weight loss is good enough for now, yes? Plateaux don't *feel* good, but it sounds like you know yourself and your eating habits really well, I bet you adjust so you can keep on going.

Yesterday I had emergency dental repairs (under £60) with a new titanium post fitted to the tooth next to my upper front tooth and this morning I woke up with the tip of the repair in my mouth (obviously I am grinding my teeth at the moment). My dentist is miles away and my agenda for today is extensive so out came the "Diamon-Deb" (metal nail file) and I have manually filed away the sharp edge that was lacerating my top lip and tongue tip (why are these things so irresistible to our tongues?) as a DIY interim solution. :o
    Oh good grief :eek::eek::eek: I can't believe you had the courage to do that! That was very brave _pale_
  • Haha - don't worry KC there was no pain involved with the dental repair, just some white dust. He also replaced a crown and I managed to floss out the extra cement I could feel between two of my back teeth where he stuck it.

Re the weight loss, this is me joining in with my DH to whom I recommended the diet (because it worked for me) and there is a competitive determination to be near where he is, even though that is unlikely. I would like him to lose 4 stone from where he started, over the next year or two (so nothing drastic :eek:) - in terms of time I mean, not total. He has given up school puddings and custard and the biscuits and cakes that proliferate in school staff-rooms, especially the Food Tech part of the Design and Technology Department! He is finding the starchy carbs harder but at least it is autumn, not winter. I have promised some potatoes and bread/crackers at Christmas.

Anyway, he is up to 11lbs whereas I am at 7. I suppose I could also aim for 4 stone but I think I have been big for so long, it might be a bit drastic. Three is enough for me, over a couple of years..

My tooth survived last night! no more in my mouth this morning!
  • Karmacat
    Okay, the tooth news is good, thanks for that :)

Comparative weight loss ... did you ever watch that show, The Biggest Loser? I know it polarised people, and for years I thought it was disgusting ... but when a local friend told me they assessed who'd lost most in terms of percentages of their own starting weight, I watched it for quite a while....thats just a long winded way of saying that your 7 might be your OH's 11 :):o
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure