Revealed: Passport applicants given shorter renewals after stealth rule change - MSE News

Comments

• Surely, as we are not of Schengen, we are already a "third party" even if we are member of the EU.

Just saying.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,274
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    edited 14 September 2018 at 7:32AM
    FredaJones wrote: »
    Surely, as we are not of Schengen, we are already a "third party" even if we are member of the EU.

Just saying.
    "Third country" means a country not in the EU. The Schengen area has different rules for EU countries outside Schengen than it does for non-EU countries outside Schengen.

Which the MSE article made quite clear. Just saying ;)
    Being 'third country nationals' means we will need to comply with different rules to enter and travel around the Schengen area, than we do now, as members of the European Union.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,442
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    zagfles wrote: »
    "Third country" means a country not in the EU. The Schengen area has different rules for EU countries outside Schengen than it does for non-EU countries outside Schengen.

Which the MSE article made quite clear. Just saying ;)

I've just re read the (updated) MSE article. It doesn't define what a "third Country" is.

Just saying.
  • zagfles
    Forumite
    Nick_C wrote: »
    I've just re read the (updated) MSE article. It doesn't define what a "third Country" is.

Just saying.
    If you've got a reading age above 8 the following paragraph might give you a clue.
    After 29 March 2019, if the UK leaves the European Union without a deal, Brits will be considered 'third country nationals' under rules used in the Schengen area
    Or if that is too hard, try that little known search engine called "google", which found this in 3 seconds: https://www.eurofound.europa.eu/observatories/eurwork/industrial-relations-dictionary/third-country-nationals

Just saying.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,442
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    If you've got a reading age above 8 the following paragraph might give you a clue.
    Or if that is too hard, try that little known search engine called "google", which found this in 3 seconds: https://www.eurofound.europa.eu/observatories/eurwork/industrial-relations-dictionary/third-country-nationals

Just saying.

My reading age is above 8, thank you. I also have a mature level of good manners and courtesy.

But in quoting the article, you have proved my point. The article doesn't define what a third country is. Hence Freda's point was a valid one.

Your reply to her, explaining what a "third Country" is, would have been helpful if you had not embellished it with gratuitous sarcasm.
  • zagfles
    Forumite
    edited 14 September 2018 at 10:48AM
    Nick_C wrote: »
    My reading age is above 8, thank you. I also have a mature level of good manners and courtesy.
    No you don't. You're just being pedantic for the sake of it
    But in quoting the article, you have proved my point. The article doesn't define what a third country is. Hence Freda's point was a valid one.
    The article makes it blatently obvious to anyone with a reading age above 8, even if it doesn't give an exact definition.
    Your reply to her, explaining what a "third Country" is, would have been helpful if you had not embellished it with gratuitous sarcasm.
    :rotfl:This from someone who's contributed nothing but sarcasm to the entire thread! Unless you think the unemployment rate of Black Americans is somehow relevant to someone renewing their passport in the UK?
  • zagfles
    Forumite
    edited 14 September 2018 at 10:49AM
    Getting back on topic...

This could affect people who renewed years ago. Schengen insist on a passport no more than 10 years old for "third countries" (which we'll be if we leave the EU with no deal).

So if say someone renewed their passport in March 2009 and got 9 months added from their old passport which expired in December 2009, their current passport will have an expiry date in December 2019.

However, it will be over 10 years old after March 2019, and therefore not valid in the Schengen zone!

This is probably a more important issue for MSE to be taking up than people renewing now not getting validity added. It'll affect people planning to travel this summer!

Obviously all this could be sorted in a deal. Hopefully it will be.

ETA: MSE already on it, seems your passport can't be older than 9 years 6 months, so your passport might not be valid in the EU 1 year and 3 months before the expiry date!
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/09/free-eu-roaming-can-t-be-guaranteed-if-no-deal-brexit-
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    paid for my 10 year old’s passport to be renewed on Sunday (online) it is due to expire in March 2019, after her 11th birthday. I assumed she would have the remaining time added on, as she had in the past. This would mean her next passport would be a 10 year adult passport. Now she will have to get a further child passport. Since I have already paid the fee I need to submit the application in the next 90 days, so don’t have the option to wait.

You don't need to have an unexpired passport at all times, or in other words, you can get a new passport even if your old one expired some time ago.

So, as long as she doesn't need to travel for 6 months around her 16th birthday, she can still renew her child passport into an adult one. After it expires when she is 15 she just needs to wait a few months until she is eligible to get an adult one.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,774
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 14 September 2018 at 5:44PM
    Getting back on topic...

This could affect people who renewed years ago. Schengen insist on a passport no more than 10 years old for "third countries" (which we'll be if we leave the EU with no deal).

So if say someone renewed their passport in March 2009 and got 9 months added from their old passport which expired in December 2009, their current passport will have an expiry date in December 2019.

However, it will be over 10 years old after March 2019, and therefore not valid in the Schengen zone!

This is probably a more important issue for MSE to be taking up than people renewing now not getting validity added. It'll affect people planning to travel this summer!

Obviously all this could be sorted in a deal. Hopefully it will be.

ETA: MSE already on it, seems your passport can't be older than 9 years 6 months, so your passport might not be valid in the EU 1 year and 3 months before the expiry date!
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/09/free-eu-roaming-can-t-be-guaranteed-if-no-deal-brexit-
    Yes I am thinking this way too. I last renewed in June 2009 and my expiry date is March 2020. I had already gathered that I won't be able to use it beyond Sept 2019 but this suggests that I can't use it after June 2019 (exactly 10 years after the renewal) or is it even earlier after Dec 2018? I actually plan to do my renewal by December 2018 before the March 29th cutoff.
  • My son's old passport's expiry date was May 2019 but as he would need it for travel in February requiring 6 months validity. I renewed 8 months early, now he has a new passport technically valid for 4 year, 4 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure