Ford Ecoboost - engine failure

Comments

• Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Arklight wrote: »
    The reports of failures are accelerating over time. It looks like a lot of 2012 engines are really at the age where they are at risk of failure.

This could be a massive problem for Ford. Or the people who own Fords. Depending on how you look at it.

Ford will win either way. People will continue to buy cars and they will continue to sell badly designed engines.
  • Yorkshirepud1978
    Yorkshirepud1978 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 9 September 2018 at 9:34PM
    With the greatest and truely heartfelt respect, your figures are exaggerated for this context. Also you are speaking with somebody that has researched this topic extensively over the past 2 years, so I have very happy to publicly discuss this with you, maybe you can let me know something new? I would be delighted.

From the gov data on registered cars there are 90k 1.0 litre turbo Focus cars currently on the road in the age range reported by Ford dealership staff to be within the group of cars affected. Most of the 900 registrations on the Facebook group are Focus cars, albiet this issue affects all models with the 1.0 litre engine. This is because of the group page name used to have the word "Focus" in it. It only changed name within the past 4 weeks after it was clear it affected all models.

I've been keen to read a lot of the stories out there on Ecoboost, especially with having a background in Automotive parts myself for a number of years.

I'm not as up to speed with the numbers on the road, however part of my argument that this is an issue would be that the OEM's own drive towards PPM (Parts per million) Quality standards.

In short vehicle manufacturers don't work on failures of engine components to a % they work on driving a maximum failure rate in every 1 million parts produced and penalise their component providers if these levels are exceeded.

Lets say Ford's acceptable standard is 4 engine failures per million - that would 0.000004% per million vehicles produced.

Lets widen that to 120 Parts Per Million - 0.00012% - there are documents online to do with Ford USA's Q1 PPM standard that can be googled and seem to suggest negative scoring if levels of failures exceed this.

'PPM (+100 to -250 points)
    Provides incentive to continually improve, increasing Customer Satisfaction
    A supplier can gain positive Q1 points by either outperforming the
    commodity PPM or by achieving 60 or less PPM
    – a site can lose points by
    exceeding the commodity PPM or exceeding 100 PPM. A site can gain or
    lose points for both production and service PPM. If multiple commodities are
    provided by a site, it will only receive points for the worst performing
    commodity for production and for service, respectivel
    y. For commodity
    PPM performance, negative points are only assigned for sites with PPM
    greater than 120. Should a supplier’s six month PPM level, for either
    production or service, exceed the ongoing commodity PPM by 100% or
    more, and the site PPM is greater than 120, the supplier loses 250 points
    and Q1 status.
    Sites can receive positive points when they outperform the commodity PPM.
    To gain or lose points for PPM performance, suppliers must have shipment
    activity in two of the prior six months. Suppliers to FCSD must have reject
    activity in four of the prior six months to lose Q1 status.
    PPM points are determined as indicated in the Scoring Thresholds table
    (page 28).'

Lets widen that and say Ford work on a rate of even 1000 engine failures allowed per million produced - even that is a percentage rate of 0.001%.

So if there are 90k cars registered in the UK with failures of 900 (that we know of) - that's 1%.

Scaling this up to an OEM's Parts Per Million rate that's 10,000 cars in a Million - Ford will deem this as a serious issue internally I would think/hope.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker

So if there are 90k cars registered in the UK with failures of 900 (that we know of) - that's 1%.

I'd expect there to be a lot more than 90K cars in the UK with Ecoboost engines. This says that Ford had produced 2 million engines worldwide, although it's not clear when that was.

https://www.foraymotorgroup.co.uk/news/article/ford-produces-two-millionth-ecoboost-engine
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Part of the problem is that the EcoBoost has won a few awards and so people are continuing to purchase it, blissfully unaware of the problems that potentially lie around the corner. Magazines, car review shows etc and the like, test these engines in ideal conditions with a car that's done about 200 miles rather than one that's done 40,000. I wonder if Ford have started fixing the problems so that they don't occur on new vehicles?

It's much like the original Ford Ka which hoovered up awards ahead of more expensive rivals such as the VW Lupo, Renault Clio and the Peugeot 106/206. It's only with hindsight that we all now know that the original Ka's were complete junk that rusted at the first sign of rain, had never ending problems with cabin heating/cooling and suffered engine reliability problems..... while the Lupo's and 206's didn't rust and were superior in almost every way with proper galvanising, working heating/cooling and well engineered engines that lasted well and didn't suffer from sludge, seized spark plug and rattly chains and tappety engines that failed prematurely due to bent push rods etc.

You wonder how manufacturers test these engines? Aren't they obliged to run it through the most extreme testing possible, to ensure common faults are picked up early? I know that some things can't be picked up, but having read about these failures, I would have expected early intensive testing to have picked this up.
  • agrinnall wrote: »
    I'd expect there to be a lot more than 90K cars in the UK with Ecoboost engines. This says that Ford had produced 2 million engines worldwide, although it's not clear when that was.

https://www.foraymotorgroup.co.uk/news/article/ford-produces-two-millionth-ecoboost-engine

90k is the number of UK 1.0 litre petrol turbo Ford Focus cars, i.e. EcoBoost. That is the figure for the UK only.

The 2 million worldwide figure repeatedly mentioned by people on forums that agrue to support Ford do not tell you the full facts. Ecoboost cars are basically turbo petrols and range from, 1.0, to 1.5, 1.6, 2.0 and above. So the total ecoboost cars includes all engine sizes and car models. So that is Fiesta, Focus, Ecosport, transit, c max, b max and maybe more.

Armed with the full facts you will see the truth.
    Peace.
  • TickersPlaysPop
    TickersPlaysPop Posts: 753 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 September 2018 at 10:25PM
    UPDATE

List now upto 1122 car reg plates with the latest 22 cars including three 2015 plate cars. So the claims that this critical engine fragility only affects 'early' models and that Ford have fixed the problem is appearing to be rubbish.

BBC are filming now so please visit the fordecoboostnightmare group on facebook to have you chance at voicing your concerns to the public.

This Sunday the BBC are in the south east for a group meeting to film, and the number is close to 30 and growing. The show will air in October prime time TV called Inside Out.

The group litigation order in the UK is growing and will take Ford to court to claim for losses incurred by all those affected. see #ecoboom

There are reports of dealers refusing to take the cars as trade ins, so car value is being significantly being affected by Fords refusal to admit there is a problem and recall all affected cars, not withstanding peoples safety concerns.

kind regards to one and all
    Peace.
  • UPDATE

List now upto 1122 car reg plates with the latest 22 cars including three 2015 plate cars. So the claims that this critical engine fragility only affects 'early' models and that Ford have fixed the problem is appearing to be rubbish.

BBC are filming now so please visit the fordecoboostnightmare group on facebook to have you chance at voicing your concerns to the public.

This Sunday the BBC are in the south east for a group meeting to film, and the number is close to 30 and growing. The show will air in October prime time TV called Inside Out.

The group litigation order in the UK is growing and will take Ford to court to claim for losses incurred by all those affected. see #ecoboom

There are reports of dealers refusing to take the cars as trade ins, so car value is being significantly being affected by Fords refusal to admit there is a problem and recall all affected cars, not withstanding peoples safety concerns.

kind regards to one and all

And yet people are still in denial (or possibly work for Ford :))
    agrinnall wrote: »
    If you spend a lot of time searching through that thread you'll see that I've posted there several times already to say that my experience, and that of the vast majority of owners, is entirely at odds with the experience of a few shouty people.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    And yet people are still in denial (or possibly work for Ford :))

I'm neither, I am simply one of the vast majority of Ecoboost owners who have had no problems whatsoever.
  • agrinnall wrote: »
    I'm neither, I am simply one of the vast majority of Ecoboost owners who have had no problems whatsoever.

And therein lies the issue. I was pretty much happy with my Focus (apart from the door seals issue until I fixed it myself) although Ford Customer Service was awful.
    The problem with the engines is that you don't know they're going to fail until they actually do fail and by that time you need a new engine at a cost of thousands (a coolant level sensor could possibly have helped).
    The fact that there was no way of knowing if my car was going to die on me or not was what prompted me to get rid of it (along with the awful responses from Ford that are well documented).
    I do hope you continue to enjoy your ecoboost and are one of many that don't have a problem but for me that growing problem was more than I could put up with.
  • TickersPlaysPop
    TickersPlaysPop Posts: 753 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 September 2018 at 1:07PM
    agrinnall wrote: »

in light of the posts above, particularly the statistical analysis of numbers and my clarification on UK car numbers. Please can you explain your position on the Ecoboost problem being statistically insignificant?

Please keep in mind when this problem happens without warning, on cars fully serviced by Ford and within 5 years of its life with average mileage, the result is at least 6 weeks without a car, a bill for £6000.

If that happens to you within 1-2 years it would write off your EcoBoost Fiesta? Is this why some car dealers are refusing to accept EcoBoost trade-ins?
    Peace.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport