Vegan Living & Ethical Buying

Options

Comments

• pile-o-stone
    Options
    bigask wrote: »
    How do you do to without "B vitamin"?:eek:

This always makes me smile when it comes up and shows a complete lack of understanding where vitamins, especially B12, come from.

My reply is to ask "Where do you get your B12 from", which they reply "From meat, milk and eggs". I then reply, "but cattle, sheep and chickens are all vegan, so where do they get their B12 from?"

The reply is usually a blank look.

The simple fact is that if people can’t get B12 through fruit and veg anymore due to depleted soils caused by modern farming methods, then neither can farm animals. This is especially true of factory farmed animals that are fed on an unnatural diet of corn instead of grass.

How then do these animals get their B12? Well, they get them through a supplement, which makes the B12-reason to eat animal products somewhat invalid.

I think I'd rather take a vitamin B12 supplement directly than the 'hit and miss' method of eating an animal that has had B12 added to their feed, especially as I'd also be taking a good dose of saturated fat, growth hormones and antibiotics that were also given to the farm animal.
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
    Mini orchard planted and vegetable allotment created.
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi RebeccaAnn
    RebeccaAnn wrote: »
    I have slowly been making the change to making our own toiletries. We buy some item from lush like the shampoo bars so no plastic there but we are still a long way off with other household items and I still buy wash tablets and kitchen sprays (these are vegan but i hate the plastic!) And my worst habit of allis using the tumble dryer :( I am just so disorganized.
    I use a reusable spray bottle and a do a mix of a couple of drops of washing up liquid, then half white vinegar and hald water as a kitchen spray. Recipe came from thos two cleaning ladie on the TV ;)
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • savvy
    Options
    This always makes me smile when it comes up and shows a complete lack of understanding where vitamins, especially B12, come from.
    Lol always a classic......along with but how do you get your protein :D
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • The nutritional queries/arguments that are thrown at me as a vegan never cease to amaze me - especially as they usually come from people who have the poorest, most processed eating habits ever!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I must admit that years ago I used to try to help educate people, but now, unless I think it's a genuine curiosity or interest rather than a 'dig', I have a tendency to just laugh at them and really pull apart their dietary habits.....suffice to say that I get far fewer comments these days! ;)

Living ethically seems to bring a lot of derision from others - it's funny how people feel that I need to defend how I do things yet are very antsy when I start questioning their practices and the reality of their choices :whistle::think:

Not a lot to report really - still hoping for a dry and warm weekend so that I can harvest my elderberries and get some cordial on the go - I'm also going to make some ginger jam as I have to decant my sil's ginger whisky at the weekend and it uses up the remains ;)

It's starting to feel a bit autumnal now and I love it - I think it's probably my favourite season; all the colours changing on the plants, the bright sunshine and crisp mornings, warm salads and cold wines.....it really makes me feel grounded and in touch with my surroundings :D

Have a fab day!
  • rachlikeswinter
    Options
    savvy wrote: »
    Lol always a classic......along with but how do you get your protein :D

I always say 'from my food - where do you get yours from then?'

Then they look at me blankly and I skip away.

It's starting to feel a bit autumnal now and I love it - I think it's probably my favourite season; all the colours changing on the plants, the bright sunshine and crisp mornings, warm salads and cold wines.....it really makes me feel grounded and in touch with my surroundings :D

Have a fab day!

Me too! So excited to dust off the ankle boots and beanie hats, I love summer but I love getting dressed in the winter.. much more fun.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I must admit that years ago I used to try to help educate people, but now, unless I think it's a genuine curiosity or interest rather than a 'dig', I have a tendency to just laugh at them and really pull apart their dietary habits.....suffice to say that I get far fewer comments these days!
    I tried but you wanted to discontinue the conversation and I obliged.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • NigeWick wrote: »
    I tried but you wanted to discontinue the conversation and I obliged.

I know, and thank you for respecting my wishes! :D

Not too much to report - had a bit of a nightmare on the renovation front but hopefully that will be resolved soon :mad: and the freezer sort out has been completed!! :j There's always good and bad in every day! ;)

I have cleared out a couple of drawers in the freezer for ds & dil so that she can batch cook this weekend ready for starting work on Monday - surprisingly, there was little in there which needs using up - its mainly breakfast stuff for the baby!!:rotfl: I had a couple of bags of seitan balls which I made and he's not keen on (mainly because I forgot about them and overcooked them - I think I should probably sell them as golf balls ;) ) so unfortunately, they need to be binned but other than that, all of it is useable. I have told dil to only do enough for the week food wise though as I will hopefully be able to defrost the big freezer by next week once we've used up some of the contents!

I'm planning on taking the grandbaby to feed the ducks tomorrow if the weather holds - I won't be seeing him for a week as dd is off on holiday which is lovely for them but I will have major withdrawal symptoms :( - and while I am out I need to pick up another spray bottle for my cleaners as I've just broken the trigger on my other one! (thankfully, the place I will buy it is right next to the river so no additional petrol costs :T ) I've got some soup out of the freezer for lunch tomorrow so might take that in a flask and have a picnic - then it will be back home to hopefully pick the elderberries and start the cordial......

Well, the weekend starts here for me - I've done lots of hours this week so am taking a couple back.....I think a glass of wine may be calling my name! ;)
  • savvy
    Options
    I know, and thank you for respecting my wishes! :D
    :rotfl:
    then it will be back home to hopefully pick the elderberries and start the cordial......
    How do you make the cordial?? I remember as a kid having to pick a ton of elderberries for the parents to make wine...never got any cordial though!! :(:(

I'm trying to look at zero waste at the moment, and desperately need to resurrect the compost bin, although it needs a location where the dogs won't use it as a stepping stone into next door to chase their cats :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Here you go savvy...this is the recipe I use :D

Ingredients
    500g of elderberries
    500g of water
    350g of caster sugar
    1/2 lemon, rind plus 1tbsp lemon juice

Remove the berries from the stems using a fork then wash them, removing any bits of stalk or leaf
    Drain the berries and place in a pan along with the lemon rind. Cover with the water and simmer on a low heat for 30 minutes, until the berries have broken down. Skim away any scum that appears on the surface
    Strain the juice through a colander lined with muslin cloth set over a bowl. Gently press the berries to extract as much juice as possible
    Return the juice to the pan and add the sugar and lemon juice. Gently heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved
    Taste and add more sugar or lemon juice to your taste
    Decant into a sterilised bottle and seal

I usually keep it in the fridge once I open a bottle as it went dodgy the first time I made it :o
  • savvy
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for that.....thinking that also might be a recipe for using up my blackberries too! :D

Thinking back to the clothing discussion earlier, I’ve just read this article and had no idea about the impact of washing polyester :(:(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback