IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Win against Excel Parking for Smyth Street Wakefield in Court

A win in Court against Excel for their Smyth Street car park in Wakefield. They launched court proceedings via their 'sister company' VCS. However, this is a separate company as listed in Companies House. Excel have the contract with the landowner and are considered to be the Creditor. .. the company legally entitled to enforce parking charges. VCS had no contract with the landowner and were not the Creditor .. the judge dismissed their case on this basis. Also check for planning permission and advertising consent .. lack of advertising consent is illegal. ANPR cameras on poles require planning permission. If a backdated claim check google maps for evidence of insufficient lighting and signage. Know the difference about how the Beavis case relates to private parking and was based on commercial justification. This event occurred within a retail park with the offer of free parking for a limited period. As the driver overstayed their time it was deemed this could affect the footfall to the retail units (Commercial justification) .. therefore the parking charge was necessary to deter others from overstaying and to also manage the car park, This is entirely different to a private parking company who enforce parking charges with no retail units involved. Download a copy of the BPA or the IPC code of practice and check for any breaches of code of conduct. Do not ignore any communication from the Court .. failure to offer a defence to the court within the time specified results in a default judgement against you and the parking company automatically win.

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 30 August 2018 at 11:22PM
    Yes that's all true, and we see wins here 99% of the time based on much of that, which is well known on the forum.

Well done - assuming you won this case by turning up in person, seeing as no-one needs a lay rep or to pay for any help, of course.

These cases are winnable at no cost - hope you are telling us you did exactly that. Forgive me for asking but that wall of text reminds me of some sort of press release...if so, we are just not interested as people can win these fairly easily, no sweat.

If you did it yourself, well done!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    To be clear, the case described above was won because the company bringing the court proceedings (VCS) were a different legal entity from the company whose signage (Excel) formed the purported contract between the PPC and the motorist. Therefore, VCS were not a party to the contract, and had no standing to sue in their own name.

The lack of advertising or planning consent is a red herring; this case was not decided on that point, and we are unaware of any motorist winning a case on that point.

… we see wins here 99% of the time based on much of that, which is well known on the forum.

Well done - assuming you won this case by turning up in person, seeing as no-one needs a lay rep or to pay for any help, of course.

Much as I respect C-M's opinion and reputation, I'm afraid I can't agree with the above. The mythical "99%" is a selective figure, and doesn't take into account the many OPs who disappear off the radar after their court hearing. My stats show a win rate of 77%, as possibly one of the most experienced lay reps in the country for parking cases. If the 99% was true, I may as well hang up my briefcase, and direct everyone to MSE.

Although the free resources on this forum will enable anyone prepared to do their research to fight the PPCs on their own, there will always be a certain percentage who are too busy, too lazy, too stupid, or with insufficient grasp of English, who would rather pay someone to do the legwork for them.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 31 August 2018 at 1:14AM
    Please show me the 'many OPs who disappear AFTER a court hearing', bargepole?

I have seen just a few, I can count on one hand, this year, who didn't report back after an actual hearing.
    possibly one of the most experienced lay reps in the country for parking cases.
    Not just 'possibly' - you are. There is only you and Lamilad that this forum would recommend, and your experience goes back longer and with more cases.

Any other lay rep - categorically no.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    To be clear, the case described above was won because the company bringing the court proceedings (VCS) were a different legal entity from the company whose signage (Excel) formed the purported contract between the PPC and the motorist. Therefore, VCS were not a party to the contract, and had no standing to sue in their own name.
    How can they make such a basic schoolboy error? And there are a number of other similar wrong-claimant cases in the pipeline that have passed through here of late.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Another question: What on earth was one company doing in sharing personal data with another third party company ?
    I assume that consent for such data sharing was not obtained, and/or there was no reasonable cause to share such data
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Coupon-mad
    As an aside, an aggressive company once shared my data with another company, and I am biding my time about that matter. I am advised that there is a lot you can do with such a DPA breach, including holding the officers of that company liable in their personal capacity, despite any Ltd status.
  • Most certainly not a press release .. fought them in court myself. Just trying to assist anyone with a PCN or facing court action for Smyth Street Wakefield. As VCS have no traceable link to the landowner and the PCN's are being issued by VCS in this car park . ..does this render the PCN's illegal? Another point to consider. And facing the court isn't easy .. BW their solicitors present a dossier of intimidating legal jargon .. took me hours to research this so it pays to be well prepared .. you will be facing a trained solicitor. so it pays to be well prepared with your defence and to know the law.
  • The lack of planning permission was most certainly not a 'red herring'. Wakefield Council have confirmed the site required planning permission. Furthermore, the lack of planning permission was one of the factors raised by the judge for Excel .. and I quote .. having a weak case. The more points raised in the defence the better.
  • I agree with the breach of the Data Protection Act as regards to the passing of information .. currently looking into this .. will report back when I know more.
  • Coupon-mad
    Well done to you!

Glad to hear you fought & won this single-handedly, please consider sticking around, reading court threads and joining us regulars in advising people.

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure