Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Tui/Thomson ONLY

Comments

• korf
    korf Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    As an update for those who also have the same excuse from TUI the decision is now in and the airline have to pay up! :T

The airline has 28 days from the acceptance date to comply with the decision. So fingers crossed TUI behave and make payment soon.

Thanks again for all the info on this forum. Good luck to all those pursuing their own cases. Keep at it!
    korf wrote: »
    Firstly I would like to thank those who have provided great advice on this forum. Although I haven't posted my own flight delay before knowing that others are fighting the same battles really helps - so thank you all!! :beer:

My case is a 26 hour delay on TOM7673 Sofia to Birmingham
    Scheduled departure: Sat 3/03/18 16:40

Here is my progress so far
    Raised with Resolver: 5/03/18
    TUI letter received: 10/04/18 reason - due to flight time limitations
    Escalated with Resolver repeatedly.
    Raised with CEDR: 4/5/18
    TUI letter received refering to CEDR the day after rasing with CEDR.
    CEDR initial response: 25/05/18
    TUI response to CEDR: 14/06/18 - still claiming flight time limitations but also saying airport closure outside their control.
    Currently appointment pending with CEDR deadline 19/07/18

There was an airport closure overnight at Birmingham 2/3/18 to very early 3/3/18 but both airports open 8 hours + before flight scheduled to take off. Ryanair had a flight make the same journey at a very similar time to when we should have been flying so I don't see that the weather or previous runway closure would have caused the delay. The outbound plane was empty so I suspect it was reallocated else where.

This whole process has taken quite a long time already (3 months +) but I do want to keep going with it as the treatment of passengers by TUI was terrible. It was a constantly increasing delay so we ended up in the airport for 10 hours that Saturday and the lack of real information was the worst part. :mad:

All I can do now is wait for the CEDR decision but hopefully my timeline can help someone else know what to expect.
  • CEDR
    CEDR Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    philng wrote: »
    I am in same position as Shug61 having recently had CEDR adjudication in my favour for 'crew flight time limitations' so I would expect you to receive same outcome if that is TUI own defence.

I am now awaiting contact from TUI re payment (CEDR say 20 days but reading on here I expect this to be longer).

TUI may offer vouchers but you can insist on cash as alternative.

The compensation can only be provided in cash, not vouchers.
  • je1984
    je1984 Posts: 4 Newbie
    My Family and I went on a once in a lifetime trip to the Dominican Republic, we went through TUI as they are a trusted brand and also went to a 5* Iberostar resort which had amazing reviews. We travelled with my then 3 year old and 9 month old daughters and were very excited.
    This is the step by step experience that we had:

Our flight was diverted due to flooding of Puerto Plata airport, it was since found that Puerto Plata airport had been flooded for more than 24 hours prior to our take off and that our flight shouldn't have gone ahead in the 1st place.

When we arrived at the diverted airport (La Romana) we were left for over 45 minutes un shaded on the tarmac with an infant of 9 months old and a 3 year old with extremely fair skin as they had no plan for what to do with the 4 plane loads of travellers that were diverted there.
    Because of this, our eldest daughter got sunburn on her face.

There were No reps to explain what was going on, No information as to how we were getting to our hotel, No access to our luggage, No refreshments for our family or buggy or comfort for infant.

There was nowhere to buy baby milk, nappies or wet wipes for our baby or any access to Wi-Fi to contact relatives.

Nothing for children for entertainment and when we eventually got offered a food Voucher at 18:30 we were unable to use it in half of the outlets meaning there were 90 minute queues for food and drinks.

We were eventually packed on to a coach which had no facilities for infants, no baby seats, no changing facilities and still no sign of a Tui Rep.

We were on this journey for over 5 hours throughout the Night (The journey started at 23:30), meaning we had to sit upright and were unable to sleep due to holding a very distressed, hungry 9 month old baby with absolutely no comfort for any of my family, not to mention the dangers of travelling in such a way.

This resulted in us missing out on 2 days of our holiday and only getting back to routine after 3 days.

While jet lagged, tired and lethargic we were thrown into a sales room where we were put in to a high pressure sales environment with the Iberostar holiday club reps. They had very broken English and confused us with discounted holidays all in dollars which we assumed was in local currency as nothing was said to the contrary (both countries use the $ sign and USD was not on the paper work).

The sales team also advised that we had 5 day cooling off period before any funds would be processed after signing up (which held the deal) yet they took Just shy of $5000 out of our account there and then!

To top it all off on day 8 all 4 of my family (as well as at least 50 others in the resort) got food poisoning from the Buffet! My wife, 9 month old, 3 year old myself had been vomiting with diarrhoea for 3 days meaning all 4 of us were once again confined to our room.
    We later found out that a Canadian family were hospitalised at the same time as us and over 50 cases were reported.

After sending several emails of complaint, we are now being ignored.

What do we need to do? we have evidence of reporting to TUI while out there and pictures of my daughters sunburn?
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Welcome.
    Please repost on the specific Tui/Thomson thread.
    Starting your own thread makes navigating the board very difficult and ultimately means your thread will rapidly disappear down the board into oblivion.
    Thanks
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    je1984 wrote: »
    While jet lagged, tired and lethargic we were thrown into a sales room where we were put in to a high pressure sales environment with the Iberostar holiday club reps. They had very broken English and confused us with discounted holidays all in dollars which we assumed was in local currency as nothing was said to the contrary (both countries use the $ sign and USD was not on the paper work).

The sales team also advised that we had 5 day cooling off period before any funds would be processed after signing up (which held the deal) yet they took Just shy of $5000 out of our account there and then!

You didn't have to stay and listen to this, or buy anything at that point.

I'm not sure how much comeback you will have with this, as I suspect the agreement you have signed is directly with the hotel or similar, and nothing to do with TUI and I suspect there's nothing much you can legally enforce now you're back home.
    Have they given you the refund once you advised you'd changed your mind?

There are tripadvisor reviews warning about pushy sales techniques - did you not see these when you were checking?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • je1984
    We had said we didnt want to go to any form of sales meeting etc but were told it was an intro to the hotel. We managed to get a 90% refund from the Money taken out from the sales meeting now but included in the post and was not expected from this level of holiday.

I would assume the rest of the complaints would be valid?
  • Hello, we had a delayed flight from Antalya to London Gatwick On The 29th May, we was meant to have landed at Gatwick Airport on the 29th May at 23:05pm but due to a technical flight on our original plane we was delayed and didn't arrive until 04:15 we had just over a 5hour delay. The pilot confirmed during our flight that the delay was due to a technical fault and they had to fly out from London Gatwick Hense the delay. We put in a claim through ressolver. Can anyone tell me how likely it would be to get compensated for this delay? Many thanks !!!128522;
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    je1984 wrote: »

I would assume the rest of the complaints would be valid?

They may well be.

I would be inclined to give Bott and Co a call about the whole experience as they can claim compensation for both holiday sickness and flight delays, keeping the whole process simple. It does cost a % of you compensation or you could diy.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Gfrancis1989,

If you were delayed for over 3 hrs due to a technical fault, you have a valid claim, which I'm sure they will pay, eventually!

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • je1984
    Earlier this year, my Family and I went on a once in a lifetime trip to the Dominican Republic, we went through TUI as they are a trusted brand and also went to a 5* Iberostar resort which had amazing reviews. We travelled with my then 3 year old and 9 month old daughters and were very excited.
    This is the step by step experience that we had:

Our flight was diverted due to flooding of Puerto Plata airport, it was since found that Puerto Plata airport had been flooded for more than 24 hours prior to our take off and that our flight shouldn't have gone ahead in the 1st place.

When we arrived at the diverted airport (La Romana) we were left for over 45 minutes un shaded on the tarmac with an infant of 9 months old and a 3 year old with extremely fair skin as they had no plan for what to do with the 4 plane loads of travellers that were diverted there.
    Because of this, our eldest daughter got sunburn on her face.

There were No reps to explain what was going on, No information as to how we were getting to our hotel, No access to our luggage, No refreshments for our family or buggy or comfort for infant.

There was nowhere to buy baby milk, nappies or wet wipes for our baby or any access to Wi-Fi to contact relatives.

Nothing for children for entertainment and when we eventually got offered a food Voucher at 18:30 we were unable to use it in half of the outlets meaning there were 90 minute queues for food and drinks.

We were eventually packed on to a coach which had no facilities for infants, no baby seats, no changing facilities and still no sign of a Tui Rep.

We were on this journey for over 5 hours throughout the Night (The journey started at 23:30), meaning we had to sit upright and were unable to sleep due to holding a very distressed, hungry 9 month old baby with absolutely no comfort for any of my family, not to mention the dangers of travelling in such a way.

This resulted in us missing out on 2 days of our holiday and only getting back to routine after 3 days.

We only received a 90% refund due to “processing fees” and us apparently using upper tier services, which we didn’t and they also had no record of this When asked.

To top it all off on day 8 all 4 of my family (as well as at least 50 others in the resort) got food poisoning from the Buffet! My wife, 9 month old, 3 year old myself had been vomiting with diarrhoea for 3 days meaning all 4 of us were once again confined to our room.
    We later found out that a Canadian family were hospitalised at the same time as us and over 50 cases were reported.

After sending several emails of complaint, we are now being ignored.

What do we need to do? we have evidence of reporting to TUI while out there and pictures of my daughters sunburn?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback