It's not a lot, but it's enough

Options

Comments

• SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Hey Joey! Similair to VF earlier, I've been meaning to look at local groups to join which, as you rightly say, will also introduce me to new people to. And by complete coincidence, I've just returned from lunch where I walked past a sewing shop which was advertising teaching classes. Now, I've little to no interest in sewing, but the idea of trying something new is attractive.

It's certainly something I need to think about more. Thank you for the consideration.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Good morning from a dark and wet Manchester,

Yesterday went as expected. Nipped home after work for a quick bite to eat and then drove back into town for yoga. A couple of phone calls with a few of my mates too. Was in bed for before 10.

I also bit the bullet and I had a look at groups/events that I could join around me (thank you to you all for your encouragement). I found a baking class, got in touch with the founder however she got back in touch to tell me the classes have stopped. I also then found an opening swimming club, which takes places in the Quays in Salford. But, understandably, this stops at the end of October, so I've left it a bit late but will join in the Spring. So, I'm still on the lookout.

Total Spends: £3.80 - had to buy tins of tuna for my lunches
    NSD: 7/17

Today I have a networking event in the city centre which will take up most of the afternoon. I've brought my gym stuff with me to go afterwards. Aside from this, I've no additional plans.
  • Moneywhizz
    Options
    I enjoy reading along with your diary and am sorry to read you weren't feeling so good again. It sounds a good idea to try and meet more people and get involved in things outside of work. I was just wondering though if you have considered that it might be the result of moving away from your home, family and friends. You seem to be very close to your family and have a lot of friends in Glasgow so it could be that you are missing that closeness without really realising it. It is a big step to move away from home, especially when you do it on your own and it doesn't suit everyone. Just something to think about because your health is more important than anything.
  • ryanm8655
    ryanm8655 Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Moneywhizz wrote: »
    I enjoy reading along with your diary and am sorry to read you weren't feeling so good again. It sounds a good idea to try and meet more people and get involved in things outside of work. I was just wondering though if you have considered that it might be the result of moving away from your home, family and friends. You seem to be very close to your family and have a lot of friends in Glasgow so it could be that you are missing that closeness without really realising it. It is a big step to move away from home, especially when you do it on your own and it doesn't suit everyone. Just something to think about because your health is more important than anything.

I’d echo the above. I had a similar experience moving to London. Initially moved with my gf but when we broke up I was on my own. I was fortunate in that the first flat share I lived in I made a couple of great friends (went to one’s wedding recently) but I still experienced loneliness, which is probably partly why my debt went through the roof. I managed to reconnect with uni friends and people I went to school with, which helped. I’ve actually been tempted by a move to Manchester myself as we have an office there and the London weighting is a pittance so I’d essentially be on the same money. The thing that puts me off is not really knowing anyone there, beyond work colleagues.

You’re doing the right things though to meet new people. Considered flatsharing with a group of lads? Can be hit and miss but if you get into a good one it’s a great way to make good friends.

August 2019: £28.8k

November 2020: £0 (0% interest)

My debt free diary: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/77330320#Comment_77330320

• SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Thank you both for your suggestion. I've often checked myself to see if I feel homesick but I don't think I do really. I enjoy spending time with my friends and family when I can, I really do. Which is why my weekends (like this one coming) are always so busy as I like to see as many people as possible. However my career is something I also love and spend a lot more time doing. There's a glass ceiling in Scotland within my industry so I had to leave if I wanted to do better. That being said, should my gran - or anyone else for that matter - take unwell, I know I'd be frustrated with the distance between us. Manchester is 3.5 hours away. London or further afield is a bit more tricky. This is also relevant for if/when my friends and family come to visit. It becomes very expensive the further south I go.

I flat shared once before, years ago admittedly. The experience was fine but since then, I've only lived on my own (aside from with my parents), so sharing with someone will take some adjusting, should that be with a stranger or a future GF. I don't think that would work for me, I enjoy my own space too much.

Good morning everyone,

Happy Hump Day!

I had a networking event in the city centre yesterday which my boss drove us to, so I avoided spending on travel/parking. Was on track to bad another NSD until I got super hungry at around 3pm. You know that way were you feel a bit shaky? So I nipped to M&S to get a bit of yogurt and granola £1.50. Popped into the gym afterwards then headed home just in time to watch the GBBO and hit the hay.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I also applied for a 10 week Spanish course, too. I've just missed the start of one block, so I'm not sure when the next one will be but I've enquired anyway. It says it'll cost £200 but it's something I've dabbled in with the Duolingo app, so it's about time I take it a bit more seriously.
    Total spends: £1.50

I've been to the gym this morning and I'll pop in for yoga at lunch too. If I'm feeling up for it, I might go after work to chill out/destress. No other plans this evening, so might as well. In fact, come to think of it, I've got a ton of ironing to do.

I've seen another job that I'd like, also based in London. Like the other one I seen a couple of weeks ago, it's a slight variation on what I do already and I think my CV is really relevant to it all, so I'm going to send it in and see what comes of it. Interestingly, both jobs will also have a little less pressure, which might help.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Lovely morning in Manchester. Not a cloud in the sky. That being said, it's certainly still cold!

I stuck to my guns and went to yoga and the gym after work yesterday. I was even brought to the front of the class to demonstrate a pose which I'm fairly chuffed at because I was a complete novice this time last year. I was home for 7ish, had a call with my Step-Dad then made my dinner and watched some TV. Oh, had to buy milk for the office, so grabbed a snack whilst I was in, ruining my NSD
    Total spends: £1.80

No gym this morning. I tried a new alarm type this morning, where I had to shake my phone vigorously 35 times to turn it off but I managed it pretty quickly and was soon able to drift off again. Anyway, I've got a friendly game of football tonight which is interestingly being run by the company who rejected me last year. So I'm looking forward to seeing the guys who interviewed me!
  • Mx_Emmin
    Mx_Emmin Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've been struggling to get up this time of year as well so I finally got around to setting up that sunrise clock I got last Christmas. It's a bright light that slowly fills the room from about half hour before you wake up... mimicking sunrise :P two days in, seems to be working.
    Follow my Budgeting Journey at Life After Debt
    Debt Free Roll Of Honour
    17/07/2020

• SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Yeah, I've seen those things but wondered how well they worked, you'll need to keep me updated.

Morning everyone,

Last nights football was...intersting. It was at the Manchester City training complex which was obviously very plush indeed. The game was very organised, with kits, linesmen etc, which I wasn't expecting. And, we had no subs, so I played a full 90 minutes for the first time in months. My knee was fine thankfully, although I did get major cramp in calf, twice.
    Total spends: £4 for football

No gym this morning, as I spent my morning finishing packing for my weekend back home which I'll be leaving for pretty sharpish. As ever, a full weekend planned but I'll try to keep the spends down.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend!
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Happy Monday!

My weekend back home was, as always, very enjoyable. It started on Friday with dinner with my ex-colleagues. We were last to leave the restaurant at about 11.30pm! Was really good catching up with them and they're talking about coming down to Manchester to visit soon, too.
    Spends: £5 on lunch, £3.20 on snacks, £30 on dinner.

Saturday was the day of my best friends mums leaving party. She's been like an aunt to me, so I wanted to say goodbye. I also visited my dad and squeezed in dinner with my mum, too.
    Spends: £13 on drinks and snacks, £10 on a bottle of wine and a card, £10 on a taxi home

Yesterday I had a lovely bit of lunch with my gran, as always. We sat chatting away for close 4 hours before she essentially kicked me out, concerned at me driving home in the dark. Picked up some food from the takeaway and was in bed for shortly after 9.
    Spends: £54 on petrol, £6 on a takeaway

No gym this morning, as I wanted to catch up on sleep but I'll visit yoga tonight providing I'm not still knackered. That being said, I still need to do a meal plan for the week, make my lunches and visit the SM, so that may take up my Monday evening.

Still stuck on 7/17 NSD's
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning all,

No yoga/gym yesterday as I needed to go to the SM, prepare dinner and my lunches for the week which took most of the evening. My body is still trying to catch up from an extremely late night on Saturday.
    Spends: £7.09 on lunch, £17 on a weeks worth of groceries

With that in mind, I also didn't go to the gym this morning but I have the physio after work today so I'll go to the gym once I've seen him. Need to get back into the routine.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback