PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Softstuff can I put in an order for rum and raisin too, or.......... ooooooh baileys ! Please, pretty please :D.
    Haven't been around much to post, but have been reading along. Since we retired we are busier than ever.
    Hope all the house moves and house hunting goes smoothly.
    NM I'm always on the edge of my seat with your housing problems. I do hope you get settled / sorted, sooner rather than later.
    I'm glad Burtha has posted too.
    Hope all the poorlies are on the road to recovery soon. Hugs to all those who need or want any.
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Thank you everyone.

I use oil to roast root veg, potatoes, sweet potato chips and butternut squash. I also do a lot of Mediterranean type veg in the summer, aubergine, onion, courgette, pepper, tomato roasted with tarragon and garlic.

It's definately stopped me in my tracks. I'm a bit lost now.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,241 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Fuddle he uses the ederflower cordial I make & freeze, just defrosts it & chucks it into Heston :)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 March 2018 at 4:47PM
    I would put a little rapeseed in a bowl, put veg in and mix with hands, then spread in a tray and roast. No other oil would do, all veg oils apart from rapeseed are too unstable and even rapeseed should always be stored in the fridge and bought in small bottles. I have just bought a 500ml bottle, in dark glass, cost around £5 but I only use a little at a time. I never buy it in plastic either
  • Floss
    Fudds we use a generous glug of olive oil for roasting Med veg (fortnightly frequency), a little of olive rapeseed or sunflower for any other frying & rapeseed for deep fat fryer about once or twice a month. Roasties go into sunflower oil. My cholesterol is around 4.7 and has been for several years, brought down after cutting out processed foods (that helped my IBS too).
  • Floss
    TBH you don't need a lot of oil to "roast" veg, it's not like doing roast potatoes that benefit from sitting in a layer of fat.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    by unstable I mean that they easily break down to produce free radicals and particularly unstable when heated or in the light (uv causes breakdown)
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    One of my DD's has started doing stand up comedy with a group of friends, they call themselves The Free Radicals!
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Oh Bum - I'd changed from Rapeseed to Coconut oil 'cos I thought it was better!! I'll change back then. roasties are done in Goose Fat & bu**er the consequences - we dont have them every week.
    Any chance of some ginger ice cream..........................anyone?
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'd just use a different oil every day silvasava, and hope that the pros and cons of each balance each other out!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback