Buying a car, dealer wants a card processing fee?

So as the title says really, I contacted a local dealer after seeing their ad on Auto Trader, before viewing the car I enquired and asked whether they accepted Mastercard and he replied saying that they do, however they would apply a £60 service charge should I decide to pay by any other means than bank transfer, I asked whether this £60 fee would also apply if a transfer was made (Just to be 100% sure) and he replied with "No".

I was under the impression that charging a fee just because I choose to pay by card was not allowed any longer?

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 6,965
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It isn't allowed but they don't need to accept your card either.....and obviously won't unless you pay their costs.
  • mezzor
    mezzor Posts: 38
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    They have refused to drop their asking price at all so it's not like they are being short changed. Just not sure whether to respond to his email telling him it's illegal to do so. I suppose if he kicks off I can always pass it onto Trading Standards seeing as though he's put it in black an white.
  • BoGoF
    Forumite
    All boils down to do you want the car enough to pay an extra £60 for it?

Although not allowed I can't see trading standards to be interested tbh.
  • BoGoF wrote: »
    All boils down to do you want the car enough to pay an extra £60 for it?

Although not allowed I can't see trading standards to be interested tbh.

I reported my local cafe to TS via CAB, twice; for continuing to charge card fees.

I wasn't expecting much, TS called me after about a month, and visited the cafe a month later.

The cafe doesn't now charge card fees.
  • BoGoF
    Forumite
    edited 16 September 2019 at 2:30PM
    Fair enough.....but the garage will just not accept credit cards in future rather than not charge fees.....as a lot of garages do.

And I bet the cafes prices went up shortly after.....
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Forumite
    Even if Trading Standards are interested, it's unlikely to make any difference to your current transaction.
  • mezzor
    mezzor Posts: 38
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Even if Trading Standards are interested, it's unlikely to make any difference to your current transaction.

I mean, it's all about principles and I'm a sucker for mine. The car is for my Wife so I'm probably not as interested in it as she is. However she can't speak to me never mind a dealer. If it stops him ripping off others then I'd feel I did my part even though I know his prices would just increase overall.
  • debsy42
    debsy42 Posts: 1,735
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    When we bought our car from a main dealer recently I asked if I could pay the total by CC and if so what was the charge. Guy said no problem and no charge as "they are not allowed to anymore".

We felt it was more protection for us paying this way so glad we could, not sure exactly what their fee for CC payment was before but could easily have been up to £300.
    ITV Winners Club #87 :eek:
  • BoGoF wrote: »
    Fair enough.....but the garage will just not accept credit cards in future rather than not charge fees.....as a lot of garages do.

And I bet the cafes prices went up shortly after.....

Nope...
    (Minimum characters)
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    davidmcn wrote: »

Trading standards may not make a difference to the current transaction but the PSRs provide the basis for claiming such fees back from any trader flouting the law.

Of course, if they aren't abiding by that law, what other laws are they also not abiding by.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure