Consumer Rights Act question in relation to ex company car purchase.

Hi,

My husband has had a company car for the past 4 years (brand new when he got it). It is now obviously just 4 years old. As he liked the car he decided to buy it rather than getting another company one.

The official date that the car transferred into his name was 4th August 2019 so just over a month.

Typically(?) the car developed a fault yesterday (basically it popped out of gear and the clutch would not depress at all). Apologies that’s not very technical.

He did get a 12 month warranty with the car but I know there are limitations with that, although we’re waiting to hear if they say they’ll cover it.

That being said, I know that consumers have some rights when purchasing even second hand vehicles from dealers. Would this purchase come under those rights or would it be different because it’s purchased from a ‘company car company’.

Thank you.

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Who was the car purchased from?
    Company he works for? Lease company? Or someone else?
    Life in the slow lane
  • born_again wrote: »
    Who was the car purchased from?
    Company he works for? Lease company? Or someone else?

BCA Remarketing on behalf of Arval (the lease company).
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Has the car been to a garage to asses the cost of repairs?
    Life in the slow lane
  • born_again wrote: »
    Has the car been to a garage to asses the cost of repairs?

It’s in with the local official Jaguar garage now and it’s already cost £108 for them to look at it. They are saying they need to remove to gearbox to diagnose which will be another £540. We don’t want to give them the go ahead until we know whether we have any recourse.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Unless it was bought for/by his own business, then it's a private sale, to him as a consumer. So covered under CRA 2015. But too late now to reject outright.
    Who sold it to him-his employer, or the lease company?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • macman wrote: »
    Unless it was bought for/by his own business, then it's a private sale, to him as a consumer. So covered under CRA 2015. But too late now to reject outright.
    Who sold it to him-his employer, or the lease company?

I thought that might be the case but wasn’t sure. It was BCA Remarketing (the agent) on behalf of Arval (the lease company). His employer is not in the equation. And it’s now definitely for personal use. He’s not a business owner, just an employee. And any business mileage will now be done in a hire car.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    BCA = British Car Auctions......so was it boughtt at auction?
  • BoGoF wrote: »
    BCA = British Car Auctions......so was it boughtt at auction?

No..it was leased by his employer for him as his company car and he was given the option of buying it privately at the end of the lease.
  • Me again. Another question in relation to this. We’re being passed from pillar to post. We’re now trying to find out who our contract is actually with. Is anyone able to shed light on this please?

All of the paperwork my husband has received in relation to the car has come from BCA Remarketing, on behalf of Arval. BCA state they’re ‘agents’ for Arval. The payment was made to BCA Remarketing. The sales invoice is from them. I’m now thinking they are the ones who should be sorting this out, but I’m not sure. It’s certainly confusing things and also dragging out the process.

All paperwork states ‘Arval Driver Sales Team C/O BCA Remarketing’
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport