Money from a "Friend"

Good morning

3 months ago a good friend of mine borrowed me £200. I said I would pay it back a couple of weeks later. 3 days before I was paying the money back the person said it was ok and not to pay it back. Things were progressing nicely to more than friends.

Now he is asking for his money back asap giving me by the end of the day to get it into his account. I dont have the money to just pay him it back. This is the second time he has asked for it back since telling me not to. (Always seems to be when things arent going well enough for him and it's like the only hold hes got)

Just wondering if anyone had any advice please?

Comments

• Pay it back this will keep on happening otherwise.
  • He LENT you the money.

Pay it back.
  • Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Pay it back. He lent it to you and you should do the right thing.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Why did you not put the money to 1 side in case he was going to ask for it back ?
  • Tell him you will pay it back, but can't do so by the end of the day. Tell him when you'll be able to and then stick to that.

Don't borrow anything from him again as he's using it as a means of control. If he ever offers anything else, and you wish to accept, be clear it's a gift and not a loan.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Mumof32019 wrote: »
    3 months ago a good friend of mine borrowed me £200. I said I would pay it back a couple of weeks later. 3 days before I was paying the money back the person said it was ok and not to pay it back. Things were progressing nicely to more than friends.

Now he is asking for his money back asap giving me by the end of the day to get it into his account. I dont have the money to just pay him it back. This is the second time he has asked for it back since telling me not to. (Always seems to be when things arent going well enough for him and it's like the only hold hes got)

Just wondering if anyone had any advice please?

Pay back the money he lent you as quickly as possible and cut all ties with him - friends don't treat each other like this!
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,910 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Pay him back.
    Ditch him as a friend and don't get involved with him as more than a friend either as he doesn't sound nice to be around!
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Pay him back.
    Don't borrow again.
    No one will have any hold over you in the future.
    Find nicer friends.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Pay it back asap... you say this is the 2nd time he has asked for it back, seems you should’ve been a little more prepared for it this time
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Friends and moneylending are rarely a good mix. Pay up and avoid borrowing from friends again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure