The Great 'Shrinking Food' Hunt

Comments

• MrChips
    MrChips Posts: 1,010
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think it has already been mentioned but fruit juice seems to have been "resized". I generally buy either Tropicana or Copella juice depending on what is on offer that particular week. Generally one would be around £1.30p per litre.

Tropicana cartons have changed from 1.75 litres to 1.5 litres and Copella have phased out 1 litre bottles in favour of 0.75 litre or 1.25 litre ones. Now I struggle to find anything much less than £1.60 a litre!
    If I had a pound for every time I didn't play the lottery...
  • Moliere
    Moliere Posts: 6
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Whiskas new cat food pouches are 85gms instead of the former 100gm size - same price or dearer depending on offers available.
  • oldtrout
    oldtrout Posts: 129
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Oxo cubes are not solid cube shaped now. They are 'X' shaped. Same sized individual wrapper but the cube has its sides cut out. Crafty!
  • EAB2
    EAB2 Posts: 166
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Coca-cola "share size" bottles shrank from 1.5litre to 1.25litre recently. Very crafty as the bottle looks identical. It was only when it ran out really quickly I checked the lable
  • thsths
    thsths Posts: 75 Forumite
    edited 20 April 2010 at 9:15PM
    laurel7172 wrote: »
    On things like single serving treats, it's probably no bad thing.
    Yes, it may be healthier. But as far as I can tell nearly all ready made meals are getting smaller, so it could leave you hungry if you like the bigger potions.

Of the basic items, Tropicana orange juice is the worst. 1.75l has become 1.5l "Value Size" at the same price, and the new 2l "Family Size" is ridiculously expensive. (Didn't they used to sell 2l as the big size for a reasonable price a few years ago?)

Beer bottles are getting smaller, or at least the number of sizes has increased: 275ml, 300ml, 330ml, 500ml, 568ml, 750ml, and probably some more just for good measure.

And non food items are just as bad: many tissues are sold 9 in a pack now, diaper packs are a few diapers smaller than last year (doesn't matter if it is economy, mega, jumbo, or whatever pack), and some of the cheap printing paper is getting thinner (70g/m^2 instead of 80).

There are still bargains out there, but it is very difficult indeed to spot them in between all the fake "sale" signs.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
  • loobylou2
    loobylou2 Posts: 816 Forumite
    Biscuits like Breakaway and Blue Riband have shrunk!!! They used to be in packs of 9 and are now in packs of 6 but at the same price or in some places even more expensive!!! Also some of the supermarkets have half price offers on when they've never charged the full RRP for the item anyway. You really do have to shop around to get the best deal these days.
    loobylou2.Proud to be dealing with my debts and aiming to sort out the mess in 2013!!!!:eek:
  • i brought wilkinsons smart price washing powder 80p for 1kg said it did 10 washes i got more than 10 out of the box being a moneryavingexpert but to my horror the box had shrunk by 200g to 800g and still charged the same 80p and still said can do 10 washes hence i don,t buy it now i get morrisons own bettabuy £1.69 for 3kg:mad: how can they get away with this con??????
  • Policefan
    Policefan Posts: 19 Forumite
    I bought some multi packs of Walkers Crisps and the bags are definitely smaller - don't buy them that often so not too sure by how much but they are probably half the packet size and at least 5/10g lighter.
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 20 April 2010 at 9:16PM
    Think the large tubs of yogurt must be shrinking.

I bought a large tub in Marks & Spencer (live organic Greek yogurt in fact) and found that it seemed smaller than the Yeo Valley one I was still using up at home. The M & S one is 454 grams - and the Yeo Valley one is 500 grams as usual.

Will be checking Yeo Valley next time I go to buy one - to see if they have come down in size as well:mad:

It was annoying - as a large tub was enough for the recipe I was doing - errr.....well it would have been if it HAD been the large tub size I was expecting:( (so the recipe went a bit short on ingredients because of it).

EDIT: Just checked - most brands are at it. Sainsburys website indicates that Yeo Valley yogurts might be 500gr, might be 450 grams (depends what flavour they are) - ie they are in the process now of reducing the size flavour by flavour. Most of the other brands of yogurt have already come down to 450grams.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
  • keet83
    keet83 Posts: 226 Forumite
    im sure that most of the main supermarkets have reduced its minced beef from 500g to 400g and kept the same price or even some have risen
    [STRIKE]Beggars cant be choosers, but savers can![/STRIKE]
    That used to be the case :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family