Parcelforce delivery driver leaves item in the street

Options
I sold a Television on Ebay for £350

I purchased Parcelforce Express24 Large with Saturday delivery.

I messaged the buyer to inform them of the situation, the buyer told me they would not be in at the weekend due to going on a trip until Monday night.

The Parcelforce delivery driver has left the package out in the street and signed the delivery confirmation him/herself to say "BIG Garage" or "BY Garage"

The buyer has subsequently messaged me to tell me the package was soaked through from the rain when he got home and the tv isn't working.

I packaged the tv up like a madman knowing it wasn't covered by compensation, but for the driver to leave the package in the street because he's too lazy to carry it back to a depot is nothing but negligence by parcelforce

You can check the delivery confirmation here for the dodgy signature
Can pm me to see the delivery confirmation page as I can't post links or images as a new user

I know televisions are not covered by Parcelforces compensation cover, but this should be valid for compensation due to the delivery driver leaving the package in the street (not delivering it to the recipient and getting a signature)

I don't know what kind of two bit operation this mob are running, but this must be a valid complaint worth compensation, I'm not paying them to leave my packages in the street for someone to find randomly when they come back home (the recipient could have been AWOL for weeks before they got a hold of the package regardless of its contents)

What are peoples thoughts on this if any, thanks

Comments

• foxtrotoscar_2
    Options
    Personally I would have made sure that the buyer was going to be at home to receive the parcel before sending it, especially a £350 item.
  • BarryH23
    Options
    Noted thanks
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    I think you're a bit stuck. Firstly because you didn't insure the item for postage or choose a "signed for" service, and secondly because you didn't arrange a date with the buyer when you knew he would be in.

It's definitely worth a complaint but I suspect that if you read the terms and conditions, they haven't breached them.
  • BarryH23
    BarryH23 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 10 September 2019 at 11:27PM
    Options
    Sorry to clear up any confusion.

The Parcelforce delivery was a "signed for" service by default, the driver simply chose to sign the delivery himself and leave it lying outside the recipients property, whilst they were not in.

Driver negligence would surely breach their terms and conditions for reasonable care? so I should be entitled to some form of compensation?

I was fully aware the contents of my package were not covered by the compensation, so I packaged the item more than adequately to ensure safe transit, if the driver chooses to bypass PF policy due to the package being too heavy for them to return to the van/depot, thus leaving it outside without a valid proof of delivery, to succumb to the weather. (basing the delivery on purely the assumption that someone would return at some point to pick up the box, is terrible service)

The delivery has a basic compensation cover of up to £100, but both their enhanced and basic cover excludes televisions, however due to the drivers negligence I would expect the terms of the cover would be breached by the drivers negligence, regardless of the item inside the box, the drivers choice to leave it outside (of his/her own free will) has resulted in the item being damaged by the rain.

I thought there would be a more clear cut answer, I've submitted a claim and a complaint, I'll let you guys know how it goes, so others who might suffer the same issue will have a reference.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Transferring inappropriate risks to consumers, if they have terms which allow them to be negligent with impunity. If they've been negligent, they're liable. If they weren't negligent, then thats where insurance kicks in.

But it would be for OP to prove negligence which would depend on circumstances. Including what was agreed (ie obtaining signature or delivering to a secure place), whether it was left under cover or exposed, whether it would be evident to a reasonable person that leaving a parcel in that location could cause damage.

And also whether OP is a business or consumer. Since only one of those can contract out of rights.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • BarryH23
    Options
    Noted thanks angel,

I found this in their terms and conditions
    "12. Liability for delay, loss or damage
    12.1 Subject to the provisions of these Conditions, Parcelforce Worldwide shall pay compensation to the Customer for loss or damage caused by its negligence or that of those for whom it is vicariously liable, and a refund in the case of delay."

I hope the proof of the drivers "Self-Signed" signature stating "Big Garage" or "By garage" is proof enough to them of negligence by the driver.

Will update the thread when I get a response from the courier.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    BarryH23 wrote: »
    Can pm me to see the delivery confirmation page as I can't post links or images as a new user
    Why would we message you to view the confirmation? It will be the courier you have to convince, not us.

Aside from that, when your customer informed you that they would not be present on the delivery day did you not think to inform the courier and postpone the delivery?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure