It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts!!!!

Comments

• Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 August 2019 at 7:57AM
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Sea Shell, that sounds great! For the turmeric, can I suggest bulk buying the herb at an Asian supermarket? The link here is to the turmeric selection of the online supermarket run by my local. I'm lucky, I'm near a town with a big Asian community and *very* good restaurants: https://www.somayaskitchen.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=turmeric
    1kg of turmeric powder is £3.29 on that list!

I like the lifestyle change of when you eat your main meal :)

Thanks for the tip, however I wouldn't have a clue what to do with 1kg of loose powder!!

Plus I'm not sure the stuff's going to do much anyway - I'm a natural sceptic, but willing to give it a chance.

Also we still have £££ of these Santander/Amazon vouchers to use...so it's my first port of call for any (non Aldi) purchase (within reason - they want twice the price for a fragrance I like, compared to direct!!)
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Been decent weather up this way for a number of days. Had drinks on our terrace in the sun Thurs/Fri. Rose is always best when it is sunny lol.
  • claire21
    claire21 Posts: 32,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    This has been such an interesting read , thank you and enjoy life
  • Sea_Shell
    edited 9 August 2019 at 8:06AM
    Have finished reading “What a wonderful world – Life, the Universe and Everything in a nutshell” – by Marcus Chown. Very interesting, especially the chapters on human evolution, from the start to where we find ourselves now. Some of the latter chapters went over my head, Quantum Theory anyone? That just all sounds like the problem the Grand Old Duke of York had….too many “ups” and “downs”!!!

Also have read “The Antidote – Happiness for people who can’t stand positive thinking” – by Oliver Burkeman. An alternative take on what makes us happy, and how to be happier. I think I am a Stoic. This can be summed up with the phrases “Expect the worst and the rest is a pleasant surprise”, or “S**t Happens!!”. He also concludes that “Goal Setting” can actually make you miserable rather than happy, as it puts too much pressure on you to succeed and doesn’t allow for failure.

3 Runs completed – 1 x 6 Miles, 1 x 5.5M (with 6x2 min efforts included), 1 x 5.3M = 16.8M

Swim – I had a catastrophic equipment failure!!! – My nose clip snapped in half!!! Basically it eventually fatigue cracked across the bridge, as I have had it quite a few years. So I had to just do a combination of Breaststroke, and Backstroke, as I can’t do the underwater breathing thing without it, try as I might water goes up my sinuses and it’s horrible. I’ve looked on Amazon and ordered 2 (so I’ve always got a spare) as they were only £2.85 each. The pool sell the same ones at £6 each!!!. Hopefully they’ll arrive in time for next week’s swim. I still managed my 50mins, but only 70 (18m) lengths.

However, what this has taught me is that I NEED to do these other strokes regularly, as my arms (bingo wings) are killing me after all that breaststroke…so must be in need of toning!!!

Have managed to actually complete 5 x “hard” sudokus and 1 x “very hard” one on my phone app. Never completed those levels before! Took about 25 mins each. That’ll be my neuroplasticity.

Found an old “Kriss Kross” puzzle book that still had some left to do. Always enjoyed these, so will look to buy another one next time I’m passing a newsagents. So “Rock and Roll” in our house!!

DH needed some new walking shoes. He’d seen some in Blacks for about £35, but low and behold Aldi had them on specials, and we managed to rummage for his size, bargain £14.99!! Win!!

Bit of a turbulent week for the markets, but they seem to have stabilised a bit, and recovered some of their initial losses earlier in the week.

We’ve got our Dental check-ups this morning, so hopefully just be standard charge with nothing extra needed at this stage.

So there you go….that was my week!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Anonymous101
    Anonymous101 Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Sounds a pretty good week to me SS!

I've never heard of the Marcus Chown book, sounds right up my street. I'll have to have a look for that one.
    If you're interested in Stoicism then "A guide to the good life" by William Irvine is great. Well worth a read IMO.

Your running puts me to shame, great effort. Are you trying to do fairly deliberate exercise each day, every other or just going whenever you fancy it? Do you have any long term goals there now you've got more free time?

How are you finding the mental aspect of being in draw down (technically)? Are you watching the markets more now?
  • Sea_Shell
    Sounds a pretty good week to me SS!

I've never heard of the Marcus Chown book, sounds right up my street. I'll have to have a look for that one.
    If you're interested in Stoicism then "A guide to the good life" by William Irvine is great. Well worth a read IMO.

Your running puts me to shame, great effort. Are you trying to do fairly deliberate exercise each day, every other or just going whenever you fancy it? Do you have any long term goals there now you've got more free time?

How are you finding the mental aspect of being in draw down (technically)? Are you watching the markets more now?

I'll see if the library have that book, thanks. Always looking to expand my mental horizons.

My next read is..."What if? - Serious scientific answers to absurd hypothetical questions" by Randall Munroe. Sounds fun!

As for my running. I was running twice a week already, but I wanted to up that to 3, even if its just an extra shuffle round the block, as I love FOOD too much. Need to burn off those pesky calories somehow!! - Swimming I enjoy as something more "relaxing" whilst still putting in the effort (huffing and puffing at the end of each length!)

I just want to stay fit, active and healthy for as long as possible. In a few years time, will I still be the only lady in the pool over 50 who's doing front crawl??!! - I hope so.

As for drawdown, it still seems a bit "unreal" as this month is only the first with no pay. I've been watching the markets closely for a while anyway, and have been doing a monthly round up (comparison) for a couple of years now, so will just carry that on. We can then see, month by month, where we are in comparison to the same time last year, and month on month, and adjust our strategy accordingly. Well that's the plan.

I'll be Stoic about it....what's the absolute worst that can happen!!?? ;)
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Well I have just finished my first year of retirement. As I expected immediately after I retired and invested my lump sum there was a big drop in equity prices. By December I was panicking slightly (I don't really panic). It's been all been good since except the last week. I was supposed to lose £22K this year but actually was £5k up on the year. Problem is that when you are retired you have time to follow the stockmarket action. Trump opens his mouth lose £10K. Things looking up gain £5K. Boris talks lose £10K. Good news released gain £15K. Maybe I should have employed an IFA and then I would only look at my investments once a year. So question is how many people do a daily check on their investments? Is it good to check on what's happening or just try to forget it?
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,013 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    fred246 wrote: »
    Well I have just finished my first year of retirement. As I expected immediately after I retired and invested my lump sum there was a big drop in equity prices. By December I was panicking slightly (I don't really panic). It's been all been good since except the last week. I was supposed to lose £22K this year but actually was £5k up on the year. Problem is that when you are retired you have time to follow the stockmarket action. Trump opens his mouth lose £10K. Things looking up gain £5K. Boris talks lose £10K. Good news released gain £15K. Maybe I should have employed an IFA and then I would only look at my investments once a year. So question is how many people do a daily check on their investments? Is it good to check on what's happening or just try to forget it?

The only thing I do a daily check is my current account balance, making sure everything is covered. The only time I paid attention to the pension funds is when I updated my budget spreadsheet at the start of each month and tried to predict if I have enough based on the inflation and return since 2010 to retire at various ages. Apart from that, I generally ignore what happened in the markets.
  • Anonymous101
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    I'll see if the library have that book, thanks. Always looking to expand my mental horizons.

My next read is..."What if? - Serious scientific answers to absurd hypothetical questions" by Randall Munroe. Sounds fun!

As for my running. I was running twice a week already, but I wanted to up that to 3, even if its just an extra shuffle round the block, as I love FOOD too much. Need to burn off those pesky calories somehow!! - Swimming I enjoy as something more "relaxing" whilst still putting in the effort (huffing and puffing at the end of each length!)

I just want to stay fit, active and healthy for as long as possible. In a few years time, will I still be the only lady in the pool over 50 who's doing front crawl??!! - I hope so.

As for drawdown, it still seems a bit "unreal" as this month is only the first with no pay. I've been watching the markets closely for a while anyway, and have been doing a monthly round up (comparison) for a couple of years now, so will just carry that on. We can then see, month by month, where we are in comparison to the same time last year, and month on month, and adjust our strategy accordingly. Well that's the plan.

I'll be Stoic about it....what's the absolute worst that can happen!!?? ;)

LOL.... Exactly. I find a positive mind-set is the answer to most of life's "problems".

As for loving food, I feel your pain there!

I think its impossible to conduct a study to prove it but I'd love to know how much early retirement extends your life by. All the time to cook better quality food and keep yourself fit and healthy. Not to mention lots of stress busting time out of work and in the great outdoors!
  • Anonymous101
    fred246 wrote: »

I used to obsess about it checking a couple of current accounts and investments daily. Now I don't so much. Granted I'm still in the accumulation phase but I know I'm set up fairly efficiently and so daily, weekly or even monthly movements really have very little impact on my strategy.
    I now update my spreadsheet monthly and keep my eye on any really important changes. I just try to focus on enjoying myself now rather than thinking about money too much.

Things might change when I start thinking that I'm nearing being Financially Independent though.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback