Cheap Train Fares guide discussion

Comments

• yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I would like fares as cheap as possible please from Macclesfield to Newcastle on Tuesday 23rd Nov and back on Thursday 25th Nov please.

It is for 1 Adult and 1 child with a family railcard and need to be in Newcastle for around 2.30pm and would like to leave Newcastle around 11am on the 25th please.
    A Virgin Trains-only off peak day single from Macclesfield to Manchester is £3. Combine these with an Advance ticket from Manchester to Newcastle.

But if the price from Manchester to Newcastle looks a bit steep, check the fare from Manchester - York & York - Newcastle, there may be a saving there.
  • ceebeeby
    ceebeeby Posts: 4,357 Forumite
    BIG SUCCESS!!!!

Thanks entirely to your guidance and "keep me rights" - I've just bought the tickets from Glasgow to London for a family of four for £28!!! A massive saving of over £200 on the original quote.

WOW!

Need to go and find a good deal on a railcard now.

Thank you to everyone for your guidance - it is enormously appreciated!
  • wilbury4
    wilbury4 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 24 November 2010 at 7:03PM
    Hi all,
    Just joined, this is my first post.
    I'm seeking a little advise.
    The wife and I are travelling to Glasgow for a festive break. Upon checking times and prices I worked out that if a child was travelling with us and I obtained a Family and Friends Railcard that the fare is reduced by over £40.
    My question is; Can I get a Family and Friends Railcard, reserve seats for two adults and a child, then just me and the wife travel?
  • wilbury4 wrote: »
    My question is; Can I get a Family and Friends Railcard, reserve seats for two adults and a child, then just me and the wife travel?

Welcome to the forum, however to answer your question, No, if you use a Family and Friends Railcard, you must travel with at least one child to validate your discounted tickets, else your discounted tickets become invalid and you then have to pay the full undiscounted single ticket for your journey.

Sorry :o
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • Welcome to the forum, however to answer your question, No, if you use a Family and Friends Railcard, you must travel with at least one child to validate your discounted tickets, else your discounted tickets become invalid and you then have to pay the full undiscounted single ticket for your journey.

Sorry :o

Thanks Livingthedream,
    I was simply trying to seek the cheapest way to travel, and a railcard was the answer. We don't fall into any other category of railcard, too old for the 16-25, too young for the senior :(.
    Seems a silly situation where three people can travel cheaper than two.
    Cheers.
    I was simply trying to seek the cheapest way to travel,Cheers.

Hi wilbury4, perhaps somebody on the forum could help find you a cheaper fare, I know your travelling to Glasgow and there's 2 of you. But if you let us know from where? and some dates? and if your not to fussed with time of trains?
    Hi all,
    Just joined, this is my first post.
    I'm seeking a little advise.
    The wife and I are travelling to Glasgow for a festive break. Upon checking times and prices I worked out that if a child was travelling with us and I obtained a Family and Friends Railcard that the fare is reduced by over £40.

you could get the price right down if you plan it properly. Dates times and so on .. This is the megatrain route map
    http://images.moneysavingexpert.com/images/MT_AmendedMap.gif

but I doubt you will find anything to suit you for all of the journey.But if you combine it with the virgin fare finder http://www.farefinder.virgintrains.co.uk/ you could really get a good price.. Ok it may take you all day to get there but if you want it cheap its still possible.even though it is close to christmas
    one of the famous 5:kiss:
  • Livingthedream/Geordieracer,
    Thanks a lot for the tips.
    Were travelling from Wigan to Glasgow for a New Year Break, leaving Wigan on the 30th Dec and returning on 2nd Jan. I have actually got the fare, for the two of us, down to a total of £57. That is leaving W at 08.38 and leaving G at 20.05 for our return. I don't think that is too bad!!:)
  • Hi all,

I know I've left this really really late, but my girlfriend and I are travelling from Liverpool to Penzance for Christmas. We want to go on Thursday 23rd, returning on Tuesday 28th. Any cheap tickets out there, or wll we have to pay the full £270?

Thanks in advance.
  • Livingthedream
    Livingthedream Posts: 2,643
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 26 November 2010 at 2:27PM
    Steve83 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I know I've left this really really late, but my girlfriend and I are travelling from Liverpool to Penzance for Christmas. We want to go on Thursday 23rd, returning on Tuesday 28th. Any cheap tickets out there, or wll we have to pay the full £270?

Thanks in advance.

Ouch, just had a quick look and it isn't good, but by chance are you and your girlfriend between 16-25 is so then it would be beneficial for you to get a some 16-25 railcards, use this link for a 10% discount (£23.40) get 2 of them and it brings your fare down to £177.

Edit: Found this; price without any railcard discount and from East Coast Website;

Liverpool LS to Penzance 'Avoid Birmingham New St' Dec 23rd 08.04 arrive 17.12 Advance single £94
    Penzance to Liverpool LS 'Avoid Birmingham New St' Dec 28th 10:46 arrive 20.19 Advance single £94

Total Return £188 for the both of you,can be cheaper if you had a railcard. To get the 'avoid Birmingham NS' on the East Coast Website select 'more options' 'avoid' and the type 'Birmingham New St' and remember you must travel on booked trains.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport