Car insurance claim

Options
Basically I hit a car and the person in the car wasn’t the owner of the car so he said he’ll let his wife who is the owner make the decision but the driver already made the decision to go through insurance and spoke to the instance on behalf of her but I spoke to her and she would of rather fix privately, so is she able to change her decision by contacting her insurance company?

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Yes.

Though now the insurer has been notified then the details of the incident Will be on the database meaning you need to notify your insurer and both of you now need to disclose this to other insurers you approach for quotes in the future
  • ryan20188
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply but I was concerned as I am new driver and i know it was massively increase the price of my insurance next year also I did forget to mention that she has claimed through her insurance but she still rather fix it privately so is it still possible?
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You need to answer the question honestly, which will invariably ask for incidents and claims.

Trying to twist it to suit your desire for a cheaper premium will rarely come out well.
  • ryan20188
    Options
    I!!!8217;m basically asking about whether she could undo a claim because she told me she wasn!!!8217;t sure whether she was able. I wasnton about trying to get cheaper insurance last year.
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    She can't claim under her insurance and also fix it privately. She has to choose one or the other. You have the option to pay her repair bill whichever choice she makes, but you still need to disclose it to your insurer anyway so I can't see why you wouldn't ask your insurer to pay it - that's why they're there.
  • ryan20188
    Options
    Someone made a
  • ryan20188
    Options
    Someone from her family made a claim on her behalf and she wants to do it privately now so I!!!8217;m asking if she can actually switch from the claim to doing it privately
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I wouldn't do it privately, nothing stopping them claiming again from you or the insurer or asking for more money e.t.c. just my opinion
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    ryan20188 wrote: »
    Someone from her family made a claim on her behalf and she wants to do it privately now so I!!!8217;m asking if she can actually switch from the claim to doing it privately
    Yes

See #2

But note that she cannot now get this incident removed from the insurers records and shared database (again see #2)

So your insurer must be notified about this (as will be set out in your policy wording)
  • ryan20188
    Options
    Thanks and it was her husband in the car and not the actual policy holder so am I meant to go through his insurance then?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure