Arvarto Financial Solutions / Lowell Portfolio

I received a letter from Lowell Portfolio saying they have bought a debt from EDF relating to a property I've never lived in, during a period that ends about 6 months after I moved into my current address, and is 5 - 7 years ago, so part of it would likely be statute-barred anyway. The address also doesn't exist on the Postcode Address File.

I received a letter about this supposed in 2014 from 1st Locate, sent them a Prove It letter, and heard nothing back.

Has anyone else had this?

My Experian credit score, obtained via Barclaycard, is 999, the maximum possible, so clearly there is nothing of concern there; and my Noddle report doesn't show anything about EDF, or anything at all of concern, score is a bit lower, but still very good.

I guess I will send them another Prove It letter. Are they likely to take it any further, or is it just a speculative invoice?

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Send the provit, see what Lowell come back with.

You seem to have a number of arguments here :

(1) it may not be your debt
    (2) most likely statute barred anyway
    (3) the back billing rule may apply.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • jbryce
    jbryce Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    They have now written asking me to prove that I didn't live at the address in question, which is impossible, because even if I send them evidence of living at another address, they could claim I had two houses.
  • The onus is on them to prove that you are the Debtor, and not the other way round.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    jbryce wrote: »
    They have now written asking me to prove that I didn't live at the address in question, which is impossible, because even if I send them evidence of living at another address, they could claim I had two houses.
    tight4rse wrote: »
    The onus is on them to prove that you are the Debtor, and not the other way round.

Exactly this.

They are the ones obliged to prove liability, it’s not up to you to prove anything.

Write back stating the above, and if they cannot or will not comply, then make an official complaint, and escalate to the ombudsman if need be.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure