Cherry takes the reins

Comments

• I still haven't even had a proper look at what I've spent over the past week, but today I popped to the supermarket for some groceries.

I'm hoping to go back for more tomorrow - my cappuccinos are still on offer and I'm running low on some other stuff. It's supposed to be a day off but I have a meeting in the morning and a piano lesson (for which I've not practiced properly) later. I was meeting friends but we've called it off this week and it will be lovely to be at home for the evening - the third time in 13 days!

I saw Martin Lewis on TV while I was doing the ironing this morning and am having a slight guilt trip that I haven't yet
    a) changed utilities providers for Mum's old house
    b) done anything at all about increasing my pension contributions or
    c) made an appointment to see a financial advisor about changing to an offset mortgage. this last has been delayed because DH got nervous about it, but we did have a chat and agreed the financial advisor is the next step. DH really wants to go on our 'big trip' next year though: something he's always wanted to do and now has a fear of getting too old to travel. I'd rather wait another year.

Spends:
    Housekeeping £7.50
    MS stuff:
    Only the cappuccinos on offer and 40p off marmite.
    It's as well marmite doesn't go off as I forgot to txt DH so we both bought a large jar!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • That's hilarious re. the Marmite.
    We had some friends visit us from the UK once and they brought Marmite with them. It was so stinking hot here in Aus that it had melted and became a liquid :rotfl:
  • Ooh, I love it when I put marmite on hot buttery toast and it melts! One of those things that makes winter worthwhile. :)

So today was pretty good, even though I ended up going to work three times! Once for a meeting, then a couple more times on personal errands. DH and I went for a run, but not a long one, and I've done a heap of laundry and some other chores.

I'm at work tomorrow night so may not post, but I'm planning to go to our local gym which has a promotion where a discount pass, usually costing a fiver, is being given away. I've been thinking of getting one against the winter weather, when I may not feel particularly tough and willing to face the elements, but I don't want to lose the fitness I've been building. It may lead to various spends, of course: there are all sorts of classes as well as the gym. I had a membership in the past but it's expensive and I couldn't get there often enough to make it worthwhile.

Today:
    Spends:
    Housekeeping £16.50
    Piano lesson £10.00

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 9,852
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 28 September 2017 at 11:13PM
    A long shift at work: yesterday I was worn out but this morning was okay apart from finding that some filing that I thought would be okay is in fact a huge job and will take more time than I expect to find... I won't go into detail!

I have finally cleaned out the fish... at work. Not mine. :(

I've found some of the receipts from the day before I went to Mum's, till now, so I'll try to get them in order here and move on.

19th:
    Spends:
    Train ticket £52.06
    Plants £2.00
    Tarpaulin £6.99

All the above to reclaim from the estate.

Housekeeping £1.00 + 60p + £1.95 + £8.37 = £11.92
    Piano lesson £10.00
    Book £13.56 + £12.34
    20th:
    Gift £10.00
    Plants £0.60
    Bag (household?) £2.99
    21st:
    NSD
    22nd:
    NSD
    23rd:
    Not sure... I was working, so may not have shopped at all?
    24th:
    See 23rd :(
    25th:
    Housekeeping £7.50
    26th:
    Piano lesson £10.00
    Housekeeping £16.50
    27th:
    Household £5.48
    Housekeeping £11.23

I had better admit that the 'household' above was actually a couple of Christmas decorations. I know it's early but if I wait till a reasonable time, the choice is very depleted.

It's disgraceful how many days I'm not sure whether I've shopped or not. I'll edit if and when I find details and meanwhile I'll try to keep tabs. Nearly payday and nearly time to put my timesheet in for this month. Nearly time, too, to have a week away! (Another challenge to my keeping track of spending). I have looked up where we're going and there's an Ald! so perhaps I may visit there. :D

MS stuff:
    Cooked up all the cooking apples that were starting to go over and have put them aside to make a crumble.
    Resisted a mis-listed piece of china that would have matched something I already have. May still give in but I'm thinking first.

• I slept till 11.30 this morning so I may not get much done before work at 2. :o

However, if sleep were a bank, this would be payday and it certainly works that way. I read up on sleep banking when I worked nights: apparently if you are well rested to start with then you cope better with being sleep deprived for a while. What it doesn't tell you is how to get your body out of the habit of not sleeping till you're dropping.

• Nothing spent today - saving up for my nine days off, starting tomorrow! :)

• Ooh Cherry, enjoy your nine days off. Do you have anything exciting planned?

Boo to the filing. I have a constant battle with paperwork even with most of my stuff now paperless.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Fairly exciting, thanks parsnip! We're spending most of it in the Cotswolds: we used to live down that way but haven't been for years. Sadly we've lost touch with most of the people from that time but the area is still lovely.

We're intending to stay on line so hopefully I will make a better job of tracking my finances than I have recently.

Today has been pretty good: we went to a local open day which was interesting (and free), did three loads of laundry and deep cleaned the pets' homes. The fish tank took over an hour and a half as it's quite large and really needed it. :( That includes scrubbing the tank ornaments and planting bunches of pond weed.

I haven't really packed although we're going after lunch tomorrow, but I'm well in practice and it won't take long. Anything we don't remember, we can get, but I think that will be mainly groceries - and I've already looked up the local Ald!. :D All the pre-holiday jobs are done apart from watering the plants. DS2 is staying at home and will mind the pets and house. There are advantages to having adult children! :)

I am even intending to pack a favourite mug because if I don't, I can be fairly sure there won't be a large one in the cottage!

One more piece of good news from today: my size 10 jeans are back in use! Goodness knows how long they have been in the loft waiting this day. It's also very MS as I won't have to buy any more for ages. :D

Spends:
    Pets £4.50
    Housekeeping £10.55
    MS stuff:
    Used up a few odds and ends for tea so we don't have to chuck them out or attempt to take them with us.
    Freebie morning at the open day.
    Avoided car boot sale due to temperatures being in single figures first thing.
    Confession time:
    Showery day and shortage of time meant I've used the tumble dryer quite a lot.

• NoOneAround
    NoOneAround Posts: 1,822
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Have a lovely time Cherry :)
    NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes:)
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
  • Angela84
    Angela84 Posts: 398
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi Cherry, hope you’re having a nice time away. Might just be me but being in nature is so recharging, it seems to really fill my batteries right back up and I come home ready to start life again all invigorated.
    LBM January 2017 £34k will have paid back finally by my DFD May 2021
    got my first store card on my 18th birthday, never known a life without the grey cloud of debt looming over me. 18yrs and the end is finally in sight 🤩
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback