Peer-to-peer lending sites: MSE guide discussion

Comments

• jamesd wrote: »
    SavingStream

1. the ultimate borrower was described as an individual when it was in fact a limited company
    Doesn't look like this has been mentioned but the linked company (Eco Warrior Resorts Ltd) is in administration!

Looks like Lendy Limited asked for them to put into administration. Lendy Ltd being the company that runs Saving Stream.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 October 2016 at 8:11PM
    Yes, if I recall the discussions correctly the three non-Lendy owners of the limited company started trying to wind it up at about the same time as three relatives formed a new company of similar nature. My guess is that they would try to buy the place out of administration for a price lower than the amount advanced in the loan and maybe even lower than the price the first firm paid for it. Apparently an offer has been made by someone but it's not known who. More ... less than desirable stuff .. if it turns out that it is the new limited company set up by the relatives.

On the more positive side of things, Ablrate's new developer team is in place and doing assorted updates to the platform at the moment.
  • smjxm09
    smjxm09 Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have read that Zopa basically puts investors money into a big pot and then lends it out in many loans to spread the risk but does Rate Setter do the same? Reading their blurb it seems to be the case that an individual lending money is matched to a borrower. Is that really the case or am I missing something?
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    I think Zopa divide your stake into 100 portions and then match with other investors to a borrower.

Ratesetter appear not to do so, so all your money may end up with one borrower. However, they still have the contingency fund if that borrower goes down. If the contingency fund is overwhelmed and goes down, they then put ALL loans into runoff, and everyone then gets a share of any losses.
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • I have some money lent through RebuildingSociety over the last 12 months and I am disappointed. I lent on 25 loans of which three have gone belly up - 2 after only 1 and 2 repayments being made, and currently 3 more are suspended from trading. I have "sold off" all the others and hope I get something back from the bad and suspended loans but I do not hold my breath.
    I am happy with Saving Stream(even with the Garden Centre fiasco) and Moneything and Ablrate. I also have money with Funding Circle and Zopa although I am gradually withdrawing from these.
  • RateSetter have messed up again - 7pm and repayments due this morning still haven't been paid, and judging from the thread on p2pindependentforum I'm not the only one.

This sort of thing is happening far too often with RS.
  • Does anyone know anything /have any experience of Archover
  • geoff_s---r
    geoff_s---r Posts: 61 Forumite
    edited 8 December 2016 at 3:57PM
    I'm concerned about the reserve funds that p2p companies hold on investors' behalf.

When p2p companies started, it was said that reserve funds may in the future be run by an independent trust. Zopa said, that as they were a fast evolving sector, the P2P owners needed direct & flexible access to administer how the investors' reserve funds were spent and to set the size of the reserve required.

I think that now that P2P companies have become a mature sector, the investors' reserve money needs to be increasingly separated from the P2P business.

We may end up with some of the same directors who've mess-up in a P2P company boardroom, simply moving to the room next door and voting in private as 'The Reserve Fund Board' to amend lenders' funds & patch-over the problem. They can also vote to transfer more of the lenders cash into the lenders' reserve fund at will.

As most p2p directors have significant shareholdings in these companies, there must be a direct conflict between the value of their shares and what they do with the cash being held on behalf of the lenders.

I wonder if a journalist (or MSE?) might research a spreadsheet, asking the big P2P companies

1) what is the composition of the board that administers the lenders' reserve fund?

2) What proportion of the board are independent of the P2P business and are there to act on behalf of the lenders?

3) Are there plans to eventually have the reserve funds held and administered as an independent trust?

As the P2P companies have formed a powerful trade group that votes on how they police themselves. I fear there's little the government is doing to make them do the right thing and separate the lenders' reserve funds from the businesses.

Just like Bank of England has been separated from The Government. The optimum size of the lenders' reserve fund, and how it is spent should be independent of the p2p company.

As p2p savings regrettably still remain outside the government's savings guarantee scheme, transparency like this, over what is done with lenders' cash, becomes even more vital for savers.
  • geoff_s---r
    geoff_s---r Posts: 61 Forumite
    edited 8 December 2016 at 2:05PM
    "Dear Lending Works investor,

We wanted to let you know about a recent change we have made to our Lender Platform Terms and Conditions.

We may now offer loan agreements in respect of which the interest rate charged to and payable by the borrower is less than the interest rate set out in your corresponding lending offer relevant to the loan. Where this is the case, Lending Works will pay you any interest rate shortfall. We call this an Interest Rate Top-Up"

P2P started out as such an appealingly elegant product, where p2p companies' computers simply assisted one person '2' to lend directly to another person.

At the start, the worrying lack of any saver guarantees could be partially balanced by the simplicity & transparency of the p2p product being invested in.

The mature p2p companies are increasingly moving away from that simple p2p idea, (ie zopa now prevents the market setting its interest rates - & may further garble its Z.O.P.A. acronym by thinking of becoming a bank). Perhaps there's now a gap in the market for a new company that once again offers lenders the chance to invest in a simple and genuine p2p product?

As p2p products become increasingly opaque, they become far too complicated for an average consumer to gauge the size of the risk that they are taking when they invest.
  • from Lending Works 6 Dec 2016

Dear investor,

We wanted to let you know about a recent change we have made to our Lender Platform Terms and Conditions.

From 13 December 2016, we may offer loan agreements in respect of which the interest rate charged to and payable by the borrower is less than the interest rate set out in your corresponding lending offer relevant to the loan. Where this is the case, Lending Works will pay you any interest rate shortfall. We call this an Interest Rate Top-Up. We have added clauses 9.37 – 9.41 into our Lender Platform Terms and Conditions to reflect this.

A copy of our latest Lender Platform Terms and Conditions can be found at: https://www.lendingworks.co.uk/legal-information

Any sums showing in your Lending Works Account as paid, due and payable in relation to loan agreements subject to an Interest Rate Top-Up will always be shown as inclusive of any Interest Rate Top-Up.

If you have any questions about this change, please do not hesitate to call us on 020 7096 8512 or email cs@lendingworks.co.uk. Other than that, you do not have to take any further action in relation to this change.

Thanks, Steve Cullen, Customer Services Manager
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure