Hertz UK rental - dubious walk up rates with and without zero excess waiver

ecm200
ecm200 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 26 April 2018 at 4:27PM in Flights, currency & car hire
Hi.

I am currently visiting my parents-in-law in the Luton area, and as a result hired a car from Luton airport at walk up rates from Hertz. Due to a screw up with our initial booking through rentalcars.com with Interrent, we turned up at Luton airport 45 minutes late due to a flight delay, only to find that the Interrent office closed at 6 PM (!!!!!), and there was no car. This in itself is a major issue. However, my concern is with the subsequent rental we organised through Hertz in replacement.

As it was almost 7 pm, and we were travelling with two young children below the age of 4, we needed to secure a rental car and get to my parents-in-law house as soon as possible. So, we checked the rates at the desks, and Hertz were the cheapest. At that time, both my wife and myself independently asked if the rate included zero excess insurance, as we did not require it as we have a standalone policy. I was told in unequivocal terms that this was the best rate. At this point, I was in no mood to interrogate them regarding the rates, and signed for the car. However, the next day, on reviewing the documentation I noted that we had been charged a day of approximately £9 a day for the car, but £140 for the Super Cover, zero excess insurance waiver. When I inquired with the desk about this, I was told that this was the best rate available and that if I wanted the excess policy removing, then the day rate would change to over £30 a day. This meant the hire would be £5 more expensive WITHOUT zero excess waiver.

Is this right, is it really true that the best rate includes zero excess waiver?

It wasn't really possible to argue with them regarding the pricing as I don't have the information to dispute what they have said. However, to me it does seem hard to believe that the price would increase without zero excess policy.

Does anyone have any comments on what to do in this situation?

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    ecm200 wrote: »
    Hi.

I am currently visiting my parents-in-law in the Luton area, and as a result hired a car from Luton airport at walk up rates from Hertz. Due to a screw up with our initial booking through rentalcars.com with Interrent, we turned up at Luton airport 45 minutes late due to a flight delay, only to find that the Interrent office closed at 6 PM (!!!!!), and there was no car. This in itself is a major issue. However, my concern is with the subsequent rental we organised through Hertz in replacement.

As it was almost 7 pm, and we were travelling with two young children below the age of 4, we needed to secure a rental car and get to my parents-in-law house as soon as possible. So, we checked the rates at the desks, and Hertz were the cheapest. At that time, both my wife and myself independently asked if the rate included zero excess insurance, as we did not require it as we have a standalone policy. I was told in unequivocal terms that this was the best rate. At this point, I was in no mood to interrogate them regarding the rates, and signed for the car. However, the next day, on reviewing the documentation I noted that we had been charged a day of approximately £9 a day for the car, but £140 for the Super Cover, zero excess insurance waiver. When I inquired with the desk about this, I was told that this was the best rate available and that if I wanted the excess policy removing, then the day rate would change to over £30 a day. This meant the hire would be £5 more expensive WITHOUT zero excess waiver.

Is this right, is it really true that the best rate includes zero excess waiver?

It wasn't really possible to argue with them regarding the pricing as I don't have the information to dispute what they have said. However, to me it does seem hard to believe that the price would increase without zero excess policy.

Does anyone have any comments on what to do in this situation?

Did you really think that it would cost £9 per day to rent a car in the UK? Just give an honest answer.
    If I go to Travelsupermarket, put in a week of rental from Luton from tomorrow, the best rate I get from Hertz is £25.86 per day.There isn't a provider that offers a car from £9 per day.
    You paid the going rate. Forget about it.
    As an aside, some might suggest that you were lucky that the Interrent desk was closed and thank goodness you avoided GreenMotion.
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Did you really think that it would cost £9 per day to rent a car in the UK? Just give an honest answer.
    If I go to Travelsupermarket, put in a week of rental from Luton from tomorrow, the best rate I get from Hertz is £25.86 per day.There isn't a provider that offers a car from £9 per day.
    As an aside, some might suggest that you were lucky that the Interrent desk was closed and thank goodness you avoided GreenMotion.

I rented a car with no insurance from Gatwick for £4 a day a couple of years ago for a month or so, so it's possible. An annual policy to cover yourself is not expensive.

OP, what was the screw up with the the original booking? Yours or theirs? If the latter you should be able to claim cost if replacement rental.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite

I actually rent cars for 4-5 days from Belfast City airport with Avis, average total is £45, sometimes less, so yes it it indeed possible to rent a car for £9 per day in the UK.

Belfast City Airport
    Selected collection date is 07 MAY
    Selected collection time14:00

Return To Belfast City Airport
    Selected Return date is 10 MAY
    Selected return time14:00

SMALL VEHICLE GROUP
    Peugeot 107
    or similar group A car - or similar group A car
    £38.00
    Total Rental

4 Seats 1 Bag 3 Doors Manual Petrol
    SAVE £6.47
    £38.00 PAY ONLINE
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • EveryWhere
    I actually rent cars for 4-5 days from Belfast City airport with Avis, average total is £45, sometimes less, so yes it it indeed possible to rent a car for £9 per day in the UK.

I meant a walk up rate at Luton.....
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Did you really think that it would cost £9 per day to rent a car in the UK?
    I meant a walk up rate at Luton.....

Did you? .............
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • EveryWhere
    Did you? .............

Yes.
    I've booked a one way Europcar rental for £1....but I booked on-line and ahead.
    But this thread referred to a walk up rate from the very beginning.
    So my question still stands for you.
    Have you ever booked a walk up rate of £9 or close to it at a UK airport?
  • novelty-socks
    novelty-socks Posts: 271 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It's somewhat splitting hairs, but there could be a considerable difference between the 'best' rate (where you could make the argument that a rate including a zero excess is best), and the 'cheapest' rate.

In any case, if the paperwork you signed specifies the fees that you've paid, then I'm afraid you're stuck.

In your situation, I would check my travel insurance - perhaps this will cover you for the additional costs? Otherwise, I think you're unfortunate victims of circumstance and failing to read the paperwork properly.*

(*I don't mean to blame you here, I imagine 99% of people would also fail to read the small print in this situation!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure