PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Estate agents

Options
Here's an article of interest from the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43688737

particularly this bit

Require estate agents and freeholders to provide up-to-date lease information for a set fee and to an agreed timetable, which will end the current situation where leaseholders are "at the mercy" of freeholders and their agents

Substitute "at the mercy" for "held to ransom"

Comments

• ric1982
    ric1982 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    Instead buyers and sellers would be encouraged to sign lock-in agreements and face losing money if they backed out of a deal without justification.

Think this is great initiative. I really hope they tackle gazumping issue. Anyone knows when this is coming out?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ric1982 wrote: »
    Instead buyers and sellers would be encouraged to sign lock-in agreements and face losing money if they backed out of a deal without justification.

Think this is great initiative. I really hope they tackle gazumping issue.
    The devil will be in what constitutes "justification".
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 April 2018 at 2:49PM
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-to-professionalise-the-estate-agent-market

(in England and Wales, presumably..)

"Estate agents will now be required to hold a professional qualification"

Which ones? Everyone in the EA's office? Valuers, negotiators, admin staff? Cleaners? Or just the business owner?

"Housing Secretary Sajid Javid said: Buying a home is one of the biggest and most important purchases someone will make in their life. But for far too long buyers and sellers have been trapped in a stressful system full of delays and uncertainty.

(To which my response is - "change the system", but ... )

So we are going to put the consumers back in the driving seat. We will require estate agents to hold a qualification so that people are no longer at risk from a minority of rogue agents and can trust the process when buying or selling their home."

To my mind, the solution doesn't match the problem...
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Options
    Only a fool will ever trust an EA, no matter how many letters they have after their names, imho, of course.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    An EA is really just a salesman. Will car salesmen also have to hold a professional qualification?

Actually, now I think about it.......
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]What professional qualification?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]That's a pretty flaky description.[/FONT]
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tom99 wrote: »
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]What professional qualification?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]That's a pretty flaky description.[/FONT]

Are there enough qualified examiners in the country to set the examinations in such a qualification, mark them, etc. for the Govt's stated number of estate agents? I seriously doubt it.
  • the_quick
    the_quick Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sooner the better, in the process of buying and incompetence of my vendors EA is shocking !
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,280 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    the_quick wrote: »
    Sooner the better, in the process of buying and incompetence of my vendors EA is shocking !

If you are in the process of buying, ie offer accepted, then the EA has no role. It is down to the Solicitors.

On which point, EA having professional qualifications is unlikely to smooth the process if Solicitors are anything to go by.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Options
    anselld wrote: »
    If you are in the process of buying, ie offer accepted, then the EA has no role. It is down to the Solicitors.

On which point, EA having professional qualifications is unlikely to smooth the process if Solicitors are anything to go by.

Ain't that the truth? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: They are all going down where it's hot, the whole rotten lot of 'em, along with double glazing salesmen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure